Poll: Would you rather be single than date an unattractive person?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
there are 3 main factors required for a healthy relationship:
Lust
and Trust

so, you must find a person attractive, find their personality attractive, and trust them.. if you like and trust someone but don't find them attractive, then thats practically just a best friend, not a relationship

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
It really, really depends.

I have quite the crush on a classmate of mine who is maybe a 5 or a 6, and that's being generous. But it's not really her looks that attract me, it's her personality.

Sometimes personality can make the difference, but generally it doesn't.

I would also like to say I will not date anyone who doesn't meet my ridiculous standards.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I am just horrible in relationships to begin with.
but you do need some physical attraction to have a true love for them.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Looks like we're on the same boat here.
Actual quote from when I went out one time to the pub. "Why haven't you got a girlfriend? You've much nicer looking than us two."
I replied with, "I'm not interested in relationships. 99% fail anyway. There's no one I like, especially here with older people here.." I admit, this is from a ignorant perspective, but I just don't see the point in relationships.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
No

Look, woman, you don't have to be hot. You don't have to be gorgeous. You sure as hell don't have to be sexy.

But if I want to paper-bag you, it's not gonna work. I have to at least LIKE looking at you.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Laurie Barnes said:
Not much to be said about this, other than I have been single for a long time and don't see myself changing that habit any time soon.
My friends tell me that I need to lower my standards, or at least strongly imply it. While I don't feel that is the only reason I can't get a date they may have a point.
My problem is that, judge me as you please, I cannot pursue a relationship with someone I do not find physically attractive. Personality counts for a bit, but for reason of genetics and simple taste I cannot overcome my obsession with appearance.

I am fully aware that a lot of you will think I am a terrible person, but that's just how I am wired, (poorly that is).

So I ask you my fellow escapists, how important are looks to you?

Edit: I want to add that I think my beliefs on the subject were heavily influenced by my father. One of the earliest comments he gave me on the subject was, "Don't ever lower your standards, how do you think I ended up with your mother?"
You have to realize that looks fade, take a woman like Angelina Jolie (a lot of guys find her attractive, if you don't sub her for a celeb you do) after waking up next to her for 5, maybe 10 years how attractive do you think she will be to you? There is no way your still going to be as attracted to her as you were when you first laid eyes on her

Of course going for a girl who makes your skin crawl wont work, only going for those "the hills" looking girls is just going to end in you being single for a VERY long time.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Maybe your friends want you to lower your standards because they're much higher than what you should be shooting for, if you catch my drift.

I like unattractive people. They're the ones who know how to have fun.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Of course looks matter. If I'm not physically attracted to the person then we have what is colloquially referred to as a "friend".

YMMV, I guess. I'd never want to 'settle', so to speak.

Bloodastral

Sep 3, 2010
I could date an average looking person with a good personality and a gaming habit. I don't think you'd be true to yourself and the other person if you dated someone you thought unattractive. Although you could always get them to wear a paperbag on their head and photoshop it with a models face. Where there's a will unfortunately there's probably a way.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I would rather be single than be with someone I was attracted to yes, but as others have said that will depend on more than just their looks.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
There's a wide range of physical attractiveness... to say it doesn't matter at all is crazy. That's tantamount to saying your orientation doesn't matter, and that you'd date a man (if male and straight) if their personality was right.

On the other hand, deciding that you'll only date fashion models also seems a little insane.

So the real question is, how high are your standards currently? If you're willing to go out with someone whose clothing you don't immediately want to rip off, but could be persuaded to enjoy such if you click with them on a deeper level, I'd say you're in about the right place. So much of beauty is mere artifice (or presentation, to put it more positively), and so much else fades over time or even with momentary health, but there has to be some spark there.

Give yourself a chance to see it, though... sometimes it hides for a while.

violinist1129

Oct 12, 2011
I would rather be single than date someone I find unattractive, mostly because being single is relaxing sometimes. I've never understood the need to constantly be in a relationship. If someone comes along, go for it, but you don't necessarily need to settle. It may be possible that you're overrating your own looks, but if you're certain you aren't, there's no reason to rush.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
The devil is in the details? That sounds like the option for people who chose a partner based on things other than looks or personality. I went with personality, though I do have my limits.

to the OP: Never take dating advice from your parents.

Crimson Butterfly said:
It all comes down to the full package for me.
O god. It was really difficult not to jump on that with both feet.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
In order for a relationship to last long term, you have to find the other person at least somewhat attractive. They don't need to be a perfect 10, but you need to like something about them outside of just personality.

The example doesn't have to be based in what you can see either. I know I'm REALLY sensitive to smell so when I date guys with horrible breath, it bothers me. They can be super hunks and I won't touch them.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
In all of my relationships, whether she was hot or not so hot, the more I got to know her and the more I got to like her personality, sense of humor, and all the rest, the more attractive she became to me. My last girlfriend was around 230 pounds, but she was a great person to talk to and loved making out as much as I did. By the end, she wasn't unattractive (except sometimes), she just had awwesome big boobs.

Let a girl work on your heart. Give people a chance. I've rarely, if ever, lowered my opinion of someone by getting to know them better. But then again, a lot of people on these forums talk about how much they hate all humanity, so I might be in the minority on that one.

bulbasaur765

May 1, 2010
Physical Attraction is how I notice other people. If I didn't notice anything that I would fine attractive of their appearance, then I would overlook them while continuing me search for someone else. Physical Attraction is how people "get their foot in the door." I still have to talk to the person as well.