Poll: Would you rather have the power to 'forget' or to never forget?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Easy Street said:
Nouw said:
Would you rather have the power to either forget a memory or remember everything you come across? Note that you remember everything in vivid detail and the only way of possibly remembering the forgotten memory is by Deja Vu.

I'd much rather have the power to forget, say goodbye to any pictures from Offended or the Slenderman!
Never forget, for me. That way I'd have perfect retention and I'd never have to study again. I'd get perfect grades, get into the best schools on scholarships, then take over the world.
All the while your deepest and darkest fears haunt your sleepless nights >:D

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Knowledge is power, coddling your psyche is for the sane. I'll take the perfect memory.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Hmm... well even if you remember all the bad stuff you can still get used to them or simply not think about them, right? (unless it's implied that these abilities are nullified after you get the "never forget" power) I don't think I would want to forget anything. I would rather embrace them, learn from them and get stronger.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'd rather have the power to give a mind-blowing that makes other people forget. Because that could make for sooooooo many interesting WTF moments.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'd much rather have the power to give a mind-blowing kiss that makes other people forget. That would make for sooooo many really interesting WTF moments.
A gold star if you get the reference.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I would rather want to be able to forget on command. After a while, permanent memory can become extremely draining on your mind and can damn near drive you insane.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Remember everything. Loss of a memory cannot alter the circumstances of an event, it would just make you ignorant. I'd rather be a nervous wreck who remembers every little horrible situation life throws at me, than be well adjusted and naive.

Besides, photographic memory would be a godly ability. You would have limitless opportunities ahead, and you wouldn't even need to study. Quick and easy: read once and you're done.
How do I perform this operation? Oh, that way. Ok, cool. Best practice it...once or twice.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Forgetting is the tempting option, but also the most destructive, you would end up at your death bed looking back at a false, yet perfect life. You would be effectively shutting yourself away from reality.

So I choose to remember, it is the only way to celebrate life, accepting all of the highs and lows.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ciortas1 said:
Never forget. The potential for learning would be infinite.

The whole forgetting things you don't like sounds like a pussy way to deal with things.
What this guy said. I'd definitely take an unlimited eidetic memory over the ability to forget things at will.

Forgetting something doesn't change anything, so there's really no reason to want that.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Never forget. Learning from past experiences is far too valuable.

Lyndraco

Jun 12, 2008
I'm going with forget, since we are hard wired to forget things for a reason. I'd probably go insane if I could remember every little monotonous detail that has ever happened to me.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Unlimited retention of info would kick ass. What, I'd remember everything bad too? I already remember all the worst shit that happened to me. I'm used to it.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I'd have power to never forget so that I don't make the same mistakes over and over again. Plus it would not only make school and college easier, it will help me to remember thing I want. I have always had a horrible long-term and short-term issues so I have always wanted a good memory.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Forget. There are so many horrible things I've seen that I want out of my head.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Never forget, life overall would become incredibly easier, as well, you could likely use it to become extremely rich (card counting anyone?)

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
yeah, forget , so I can both destroy some horrifyingly cringe inducing memories, and also, with Terry Pratchett diagnosed with Alzheimers disease (and I know this is a selfish viewpoint) being able to write down a list of my favourite books, movies, music and games, and then delete my memories every few years, means I'd never run out of new Pratchett, along with all the other stuff.

You don't really need to remember much as school proves, just need to have the understanding of how to find the information you need and then read and understand it.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
NEver. I want to be a freakin' Elephant man!

WHy would I EVER choose to forget hings? As a student who needs math for the rest of his life after he graduates, I'll let traumatic events freak me out for all time in order to keep my skills up and growing.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
If it was a power, you'd be able to use it at will, right? If so, never forgetting would be far better. You'd be able to keep all of the best memories. You can't delete stuff from your life, it still happened even if you don't remember it; at least if you remember it you'll have the chance to learn from whatever happened.