Poll: Would you rather live a happy life or an Interesting life?

brainiac2

Jun 15, 2008
If you got the choice of what kind of life you could live, would you:

Want to live in a world of adventure, constantly fighting and having exiting moments, with a cast of teammates around you and the constant threat of death?

Or:

Want to live a fairly basic life, with normal things happening, but being able to spend time with friends and family and only have to worry about personal problems?

I don't know which would be a better life. What do you think?

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
"Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly. But now Haruko is here. That's how I know there really is a world outside."

I love the life of adventure

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
there is a reason the best curse known to humanity is "may you live, in interesting times"
because interesting times means anything from your dog dying to you ending up a vegetable

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Adversity is interesting, I don't like adversity. So I will take the life of peace. Especially when there are video games to give the sense of adventure without the risk.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Having an adventerous life sounds better. but thats only because its soething different, the normal life is like what we would live through now.

hamster mk 4 said:
Adversity is interesting, I don't like adversity. So I will take the life of peace. Especially when there are video games to give the sense of adventure without the risk.
You should play that Lose/Lose game, and then say that there isnt a risk

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
When I look back at the sequence of events that led to me changing my likely answer from the "life of adventure" I lived in my twenties to the "life of peace" I happily live now at 32, I'm reminded of the second verse of Bob Seger's "Against the Wind". Give it a listen...(especially since as I get older the last verse seems to be playing itself out as well!)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Adventure would be awesome at first, but I'd probably grow tired of it later in life. So I'm going to think ahead and say Peace.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Title mislead/confused me a bit, because an "interesting" life (for me at least) is almost synonymous with having a "happy" life.

However, in terms of your poll, I voted for "Adventure".
... Not sure what else to say, my choice in the poll pretty much speaks for itself. :p

However, I will be watching this topic. I'm interested to see what the majority goes for...

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I agree that one's concept of "interesting" can vary depending on their views of Adventure and Peace. My personal preference is towards Peace. Adventure might be fun for a bit, but I don't think I'd cope very well, and it doesn't help that my favourite shirts are red...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
fluffybacon said:
I think they kind of go hand in hand. You can't really have a boring life and be truly happy.
Again, maybe it's because I can see middle age creeping over the horizon, but I say "bullshit". I've had both and while the adventure years (hitchhiking, writing for just enough pay to keep from starving, and having more sex than any man should) were fun in their own way, there's a very good reason I settled down to a nice little life with my beautiful wife and my going to college to be an accountant (the very stereotype of a boring profession) and kids someday and the 401(k) and the eventual death of a heart attack in my fifties or sixties like every other man in my family tree...every night I go to bed with a warm girl in my arms and a smile on my face and think "this is SO worth it." My greatest fear is my wife leaving me and me having to go back to the "adventure" life I lived before.

But hey...if you're not being adventurous when you're young, you're wasting your youth. So go. Travel. Play. Fuck like you're the last man on earth trying to find enough variety of young, fertile women to repopulate the world (but use condoms). Then find a girl who you can say "I will never have sex with any other woman but this one for the rest of my life" to yourself about without recoiling in fear and settle down, get a haircut and a real job, and see that wealth-building and middle-class stereotypes are a whole different kind of adventure.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'd love to have the Adventurous life! But I dunno if I'm strong enough to keep up :/ I'm a bit weedy, but I reckon I'd have the energy and [small]in[/small]sanity to be able to manage :D

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
I like having an adventurous life. Though sometimes the adventures are not always the best but still, it's better than being bored.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
I'm surprised that the poll is pretty much tied, being the The Escapist and all.

Adventure. A peaceful life is, to me, more stressful. In an adventure I'd have monsters to take my frustration out on. I'd be in better shape (out of necessity), and I'd probably feel more confident in myself as a person if I traveled the land, helping the little people. ^__^

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
The question in the title isn't the same as the poll.

As far as the title goes: if you're (truly) happy you won't miss the "interesting stuff". You're happy, this is as good as life can possibly get.

As for the poll: the choice is boredom or death (or hurt). I think I'll pick life for a bit longer.

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
I thrive on adversity and hate sitting around in peace. I'd rather be doing something and risking my life than being bored out of my intact brain.