Poll: Would you stop tipping if they made minimum wage?

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
If you'd prefer, we can avoid the controversy surrounding the industry at the moment and people's angsty positions on whatever side. Instead, just a simple question...

If the laws were changed to insure Waiters and other staff were paid at least minimum wage, would you stop tipping them?

Consider this from a economic perspective; since many arguments hinge on the notion they don't make enough. The cultural aspects of tipping can be a foot note at most with that in mind.

If minimum wage wasn't enough, at what wage would you stop tipping?

Perhaps also consider that prices would most likely change to compensate the increased wages in staff.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
No . But then again i personally don't understand why we tip waiters to begin with and why they don't make minimum wage . I mean , give extra money to a person that a) just takes an order and brings food and b) is doing thier job . Here is some extra money for doing what you are supposed to do . I will admit i am ignorant on this subject.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Matthew94 said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen people post a few times that these laws are in place at the federal level so workplaces have to pay them minimum wage by law if tips do not cover it.
Corrected, we don't play our employees. ;)

You are correct though. Federal law requires employers make up the loss if tips do not cover at least Federal minimum wage. But there in lies (one of) the problem; employers are asking customers to directly cover the costs of their employees. Why not simply factor it into the costs? (Although some people would bock at the increase in pricing)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
In Canada Alberta, I'm pretty sure they do make minimum wage. And we all still tip. So I guess my answer is "yes."

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I don't tip.

Granted we have a minimum wage in the UK but still .... they carried my food from the kitchen to my table, how the fuck is that worth a tip *well done, you can put one foot infront of the other while carrying a plate ... who's a special little one, here have some money for a lolly".

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Probably not, though I would be less inclined to tip "just because". You can't change social/cultural customs just by flipping a switch.

I do think every, or at least most jobs should have some way to incentivize going above and beyond you're basic job requirements. Tipping is a pretty straightforward way to accomplish that, especially for that line of work.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
No. Because that's how it is in England. We just tend to tip lower, around 10-15%.

I'm a student, so all my money is on loan, yet I'll tip someone who does a good job. My girlfriend used to work as a waitress as well, so is keen on tipping people who make the extra effort.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I tip and I live in England which already has a minimum wage so I'm gonna flip the question the other way around; If I lived in America I wouldn't feel obliged to tip regardless of service as many American serving staff seem to think I should.

If you do a shitty job I won't tip.

If you do an average job (as in bare minimum but nothing I could complain about) I won't tip.

If you do anything above average (like simply having a good attitude) I will tip.

If you go above and beyond (Like taking time out of a busy schedule to assist me) I will tip very well.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Marter said:
In Canada, I'm pretty sure they do make minimum wage. And we all still tip. So I guess my answer is "yes."
They probably receive the regular minimum wage, but in canada generally the minimum wage for people receiving tips is lower. (In quebec, tip receiving minimum wage is around 8.50, while regular minimum wage is 9.90)

OT: I would tip for exceptional service, but it wouldn't be a default.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Psykoma said:
They probably receive the regular minimum wage, but in canada generally the minimum wage for people receiving tips is lower. (In quebec, tip receiving minimum wage is around 8.50, while regular minimum wage is 9.90)

OT: I would tip for exceptional service, but it wouldn't be a default.
In Alberta, minimum wage is $9.40 unless they're a "liquor server," which I think is meant to be a nicer way of saying bartender (which is $9.05). Perhaps that includes some waiters. I'm not sure.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I would only tip if they were getting a minimum wage. If the tip is used to 'make it up', that implies that they will get minimum wage regardless of whether I tip so all of the tip effectively goes to management.

I don't have a problem with tips being shared, because I used to have a job as a kitchen porter, so that was the only way you got tips. Kitchen Porter is the sort of job where people only notice it when you're doing it badly. Every time you haven't complained about dirty plates when the restaurant's full is because the KP's are working there asses off.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
I give tips for excellent service as an incentive to keep it up, and only if such service is provided. I don't give tips out of pity, or out of any other sense of obligation.

Changing the wages so that they don't rely on tips won't change the benefits for the aforementioned trend. There will always be people who do more than others, and I'm of the opinion that the attitude should be rewarded.