Poll: Would you trade the ability to have children for immortality?

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Depends what you mean... By removing the ability to have children, you don't mean cut my thingy off do you!!! Thingy removal aside my answer is hell yeah! I don't want kids anyway... annoying little shits they are.

Dystopia

Jul 26, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
Nope never would I ever consider doing something like that. I do like how this poll shows that age and experience of people here on the escapist
Totally agree. I find it genuinely surprising how many people here hate children.

Living forever would become a blur of years and events that mean nothing, while everyone around you dies and moves on. And while I don't want kids at the moment, I'm in my mid-twenties so I'm planning on having some in the next 5-10 years. Bringing a little person into the world and raising them is such an amazing thing.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Don't want kids and there are so many kids that could use a good home anyway that I could just adopt. Though if I become some hobo eating rats it would really suck for a eternity. And I wouldn't even be a vampire with a soul so it wouldn't even be a cool hobo.

Yes that was an Angel reference.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Before I had a son, I would have said "Absolutely!" but since he was born, there is no way.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Mr Thin said:
Why are you presenting this as if it's a difficult question?

This isn't a question that requires some deep personal search within oneself, like Kirk or Picard; would you rather live to see the end of the cosmos, or wipe shit off an infant's ass?

I lol'd, its nail on the head with this post. I'd take immortality in an instant. All this nonsense of "Oh, how could you live and see all the bad things" is rubbish because its like most things we already face at present - you desensitise over time.

If anything, just think of the things that could be achieved with a longer life span? Technological advancements would continue uninterrupted by pesky things like death, amazing artists would continue to create etc. You would get the flip side that certain "bad people" would get immortality but the re-introduction of the death penality around the globe for serious crimes would quickly sort that out.

The only downside to all this in my eyes is that you would be around for the world ending which could turn out to be quite a painful experience!

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
No. I would very much like to have kids (event though it's only two). Rather than facing eternity alone, I'd rather spent whatever time I have left with loved ones that will remember me for the man that I was and continue on my legacy, essentially immortalizing my presence within the family.

Mild_en_Snakz

Apr 5, 2011
Absolutely not. First off, immortality is one of the worst things I can imagine and no sum of human knowledge (if that's really even possible after 200 or even 100 years) or experience is worth the torture of a life with no end. Ever. That plus the eventual disconnect (one way or another) with your loved ones, then your generation, then humanity itself, followed by insanity.

Second off, I'm not a fan of children now, but I know I will want kids eventually. Hell, I can already recognize that I'm slowly changing my mind about how I feel about children. Most of the people responding yes to this I imagine are going to end up changing their minds down the road, no matter how much they might think that won't happen.

I think a more interesting question would be trading the ability of childbearing for invincibility with a natural lifespan. I still wouldn't trade my fertility even in that case, but to me it's more appealing. I'll embrace death when my time comes, but in the mean time I want to experience life to it's greatest natural extent and not have to worry about a painful or violent death.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
The worlds overpopulated as it is. I'd trade having kids for immortality in an instant.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
At first I would have said yes, until you defined immortality. I don't want to live forever I want to jump out of a plane and not feel excruciating pain and die. Living forever would just be boring. I'll never have kids so I don't care about that part.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
The more pressing question is why wouldn't you? Sure, you can't produce your own children but there's nothing stopping you from just adopting/kidnapping a day old baby and raising it as your own.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
No. I want to have offspring at some point, and I believe my genetic material will be worth passing on. Besides, I can't fathom being 'immortal'; I mean, why would I want to stay on this planet for far longer than I need to? it's bad enough already.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Well this question isn't that hard. You'd just have take steps before accepting the proposition.
E.G.
Step 1: Freeze some reproductive materials
Step 2: Bang, Bang, Bang, etc.
Step 3: Accept proposition.

Of course if you mean we physically loose the organ associated with the reproductive measures then I have to take some time to think it over.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Hunter65416 said:
Couldn't think of a better way to word it but what i mean is,
IF immortality was made possible and anyone was allowed it on the condition that they were not allowed to produce any children (to stop over population) would you choose to become immortal?

-You would be age immortal meaning if you were careful you could live forever (jumping of a tall building will kill you)
We're talking eternal youth, right? Not just eternal life? Because if Greek mythology has taught me anything, it's that wishing for eternal life without eternal youth will get you screwed even by otherwise good-intentioned gods.

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
What kind of creature wouldn't??? You could always adopt; having children is way overrated.