Poll: Would you walk the path of the warrior, rogue, or mage?

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Ok, so picture this, The world has reverted back to medieval times and there is a spirit that appears to everybody and asks them if they want to go down the path warrior, a master of weapons, shields and heavy armor, the rgue, who is quick qitted agile, and stealthy(the archer falls under this) or the mage, who uses magic to accomplish his goals. When I talk about magic I am saying that it is any magic that has ever been seen in movies, videogames, or books.

I would choose the path of the mage. I like the idea of mind over matter, mind has created matter so why should it not have power over it. Magic can make the weak of body yet strong of mind on par with the brutes who would normally rule the medieval ages.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Probably Rogue, I really don't find the idea of running into the thick of battle with a long sword to be all that appealing. I'd rather be sneaking around doing sneaky shit with daggers, and bows, and shrouded armor.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Why would anyone choose anything besides mage? IT'S FUCK-MOTHERING MAGIC!

... Except first guy, who I'm sure is perfectly reasonable. Come to think of it, why would I want to be a warrior, we talking medieval, I'll die quickly. And I think I like being able to shoot fire from my face more than an arrow from a bow. Plus, mage is more of a side thing, I could be a merchant mage. One that is skilled with illusion magic.

In short, mage is only logical answer.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well since it looks like mage is going to be the most popular choice, I guess I'll go warrior.

You mages are going to need to have a meat shield you know.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I would choose Rogue, it is more or less what I am already in real life. I like to work alone and like the dark. I am agile and quick. I don't weigh much and am very skinny, so I am light and able to fit in smaller places. I am not overly strong in muscle mass, so being a warrior with heavy armour and large weapons would do me no good and my favorite weapons are knives/daggers. ect, ect.

Although mage might seem like an obvious and popular choice, I have never enjoyed mages in video games and movies as much as other characters. I guess being a Rogue is more relatable for me, rather than using arcane arts.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Most likely Rogue.

I work in the dark a lot and I tend to sneak up on people by sheer accident since I'm quiet. >.>

Can't say I'm all that into running to battle and go into a murder spree with a huge ass sword, but I wouldn't mind being all stabby stabby in the shadows. :D

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Mages are the only ones to have a decent dental in medieval times. Because it is magic if we speak of any magic as of "any magic that has ever been seen in movies, videogames, or books."

"Hm, would I have a powers to risk my limbs in close combat and die from an infected wound, or a power to open portals to other worlds, like in "Riftwars"? Hm, decisions, decisions..."

If magic is without drawbacks or limitations and is, essentially, bound by an imagination (as a quantity and quality of magic in books, videogames and movies is quite overwhelming), it is surely a very magic biased choice for me.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
scorptatious said:
Well since it looks like mage is going to be the most popular choice, I guess I'll go warrior.

You mages are going to need to have a meat shield you know.
I can conjure up meat shields or I could be an Eragon style mage who is as much a warrior as a spell caster.
IrenIvy said:
Mages are the only ones to have a decent dental in medieval times. Because it is magic if we speak of any magic as of "any magic that has ever been seen in movies, videogames, or books."

"Hm, would I have a powers to risk my limbs in close combat and die from an infected wound, or a power to open portals to other worlds, like in "Riftwars"? Hm, decisions, decisions..."

If magic is without drawbacks or limitations and is, essentially, bound by an imagination (as a quantity and quality of magic in books, videogames and movies is quite overwhelming), it is surely a very magic biased choice for me.
Yeah I can't think of a way to limit magic without making it not as much fun.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Warrior. Fits with my build(tall as fuck and a normal/muscular body type) and it's normally what I like to play in RPGs.
Think OP is a bit biased with the "ALL MAGIC EVAR!" thing though. ;)

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
The_Lost_King said:
Ok, so picture this, The world has reverted back to medieval times and there is a spirit that appears to everybody and asks them if they want to go down the path warrior, a master of weapons, shields and heavy armor, the rgue, who is quick qitted agile, and stealthy(the archer falls under this) or the mage, who uses magic to accomplish his goals.
Hard to argue with mage. I mean... the power to tear asunder the laws of physics and command nature itself is kinda hard to pass up.

In games, I often go with Rogue because I like sneaking, but if I personally had powers I'd have to go with mage.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Can't a lady get a little necromancy? (I may or may not be going a tiny bit insane with black decks on Magic, just got into it).

Okay, then, I guess that comes under `mage`.
Plus, the oppurtunities for practical jokes as a mage are endless.
Still, given that kinda power I'd probably go all MWAHAHAHAHAHA with lightning in the background.
Oh well, I could be a boss battle.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I've often wondered this to myself (because I'm a geek like that). I'm an engineer by trade. And science and magic sort of go hand in hand in the pre-technical society so the Mage path would make sense.

But I studied Muay Thai boxing because of it's no-nonsense straightforward approach to combat. So there's the Warrior aspect.

And currently, I'm training in parkour so I can be all runny-jumpy-climby like Altair or Ezio which is kind of Roguey.

Honestly, I'd prefer to be some annoyingly indecisive hybridized character like a Spellsword or Nightblade.

But if the spirit MADE me choose, I'd probably be confrontational Mage with a mean left cross who could vault park benches.

May 17, 2010
Going by a heroic fantast setting I would be a warrior. I just like the idea of being the non-superpowered guy who got by with grit, savagery and first class armour and weaponry. Mages and archery never rally appealed to me, they never had the air of gallant nobility, of the heroic expenditure of physical effort face to face with you enemy.

Thoughthis doesrally dpend o how powerfulmages are.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Mage is really the only choice...since it's not a video game, but real life. Hopefully the mage can actually cast heal spells as well (you said any spells cast) so you could even heal your wounds, or at least cast invulnerability spells etc so you wouldn't get them in the first place.

Of course everyone would be going mage pretty much so your powers wouldn't be that special really. In fact, rogues would be more dangerous in many situations if only because they would be more rare, and capable of attacking without being seen etc. A rogue could kill many mages for instance before getting killed himself.

Still, if the rogue got caught (And the mages just might band together to wipe em all out)....he's pretty much doomed.

So yeah, Mage for me and probably everyone who has a brain as well.

Which kinda makes sense.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Mages? Rogues? Bah! Warrior for me! Because there is something in besting your fellow man with the strength of your arms and skills. that is really satisfying.

captcha: stranger danger... captcha knows what I'm talking about!

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Christ so many mages o_O enjoy the Inquisition yah damned heretics

I assumed the spirit balanced classes appropriately cause otherwise mages are way too op...

So warrior it is. Fighting, drinking, rape&pillaging, more drinking, then i suppose using my 21st century knowledge to make some firearms at some point. Don't need no magic to shoot fire out of my hands when ive got a boomstick.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'd go with the rogue. Mainly because I think that would be the most comfortable, for me personally and in a practical sense.

My build is much too small to be a warrior. I'm not a walking tank, so carrying all that heavy armor, along with a shield and weapon, would only end up breaking my bones. However, I am really fast--a skill that wouldn't be useful while wearing heavy armor. Leather armor and light chain mail though, win. Also, I'm going to assume it's much more comfortable just to be in than heavy armor. How awkward it must be to sit down or just walk around town with all that metal on. And what about when you have to sleep, or answer the call of nature? Too much trouble getting in and out of that stuff.

As for the mages, they tend to have no armor. I'd like a little protection please. And their outfits always seem like the person wearing them would be so cold. Robes that look rather thin and wispy (or if you're a woman, a bathing suit made out of metal) and offer no protection against the elements. Freeze to death or just feel naked most of the time. Plus, if someone gets close to them--within hand-to-hand range--mages tend to be toast. While I don't want to be the warrior in the middle sending heads flying with every swing, I would enjoy being able to dodge an attack and quickly sink my dagger into my attacker's neck before he had a chance to recover. Finally, how much studying to mages have to do to learn all that stuff? Days, months, YEARS spent reading books to unlock the higher spells. There's probably a reason most mages are often shown as old men (playing into the lack of hand-to-hand reflexes again). They spent their entire lives studying to get that good. Boring. Basic study of mage would be fun, but not to the level of a mage.

So, rogue wins for me. Speed and comfort. Plus, I prefer being able to kill my enemies without them ever knowing I was there, and from a distance. Heavy clanking metal or a sudden fiery explosion tends to rule out that option. A silent arrow in the darkness though, not so much.

Vyniir

Aug 17, 2008
Any magic ever? I'd be a Battle-Mage/Cleric in that case.
In the thick of battle flinging out spells and heals, while laying about with a nice weighty hammer or long sword.
Also, you should probably make Mages limited to one or two schools of magic, that would make them less over powered.