Poll: Would you want Bioware to make KotOR 3?

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
So now that the new Star Wars movie is out I have noticed plenty of people going back to replay KotOR after having their love for Star Wars reignited. This made me think about KotOR 3. I realize that the fact the Old Republic mmo existing makes this happening unlikely, though the De-canonization of all of KotOR makes it ripe for a reboot. It made me wonder if people would still like KotOR 3.

The thing that makes me wonder this the most is what's been happening to Bioware. Their talent just seems to be draining. Sure DAI was better than 2 and I liked ME3(other than the-part-which-shall-not-be-named), but DAI doesn't match the original and ME3 is only better than 1 in a gameplay sense. Bioware has become a very different company than the Bioware that made KotOR 3, so would you still want to see KotOR 3 or a KotOR reboot knowing how much Bioware has changed?

Personally I still want one. It might not match the Bioware days of old, but I would be interested to see how they design the combat and force powers, and while their newer characters don't quite match up to the old ones they are still one of the better character writers in the industry. I would love to see what KotOR would look like under this Bioware.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
No, Bioware wasn't been good in while. I disagree that DAI was better than DA2, I thought for all it's faults at least DA2 wasn't boring unlike DAI which you need to grind your way to the interesting bits...And I fear that Mass Effect Andromeda may be the same.
But the threat it's not about that. I am a very much a advocate to the Kotor needs a proper sequel, a remake\reboot or at very LEAST and update patch so it runs without problems in newer systems. (Oddly enough I was playing it when I say this threat pop up... on a awful resolution and in windowed mode because that's the only way I can run. SERIOUSLY WHERE'S THAT PATCH?). But I would like to Obsidian to it, they had interesting themes and ideas for the series (That sadly got crushed because of greed and idiocracy) and I love to see them realised proper.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No, I'd want Bioware to try their hand at something new. Try and break out of their pattern for once. Not another fucking KOTOR game of all bloody things.

If someone else wants to make a KOTOR game I couldn't care less one way or the other. Give it to Telltale or something.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
I'm pretty hungry for a single-player RPG set in the Star Wars universe, especially with the new movie so fresh in my mind still. Replaying old KotOR games is fun, but their age has caught up with them, and it is difficult to get the same spark from a story I've played through half a dozen times.

I am still very fond of Bioware to this day. Inquisition was a let down in terms of gameplay and being padded beyond belief, but I still found myself very much engaged with the characters and story. I firmly believe that, in spite of that one part, Mass Effect 3 was the best entry of the trilogy. Their games are very different than what they were like back in the days of the original KotOR or even DA:O; a new entry would be extremely different than what it was before, but I'd feel confident that the writing and character would still be worth it.

Given the choice, I'd definitely rather seen Obsidian take another crack at it. However, I would be perfectly happy to get a new non-MMO entry too the series from either developer.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If you had asked me this question ten years ago, I would have said hell yes. However, after seeing what's happened to Bioware since, I'm willing to just say that we should let it go. Let them try something new for once and be glad we got KOTOR when we did.

Though frankly, I've gotten used to the idea that SW games tend to have 9 shitty games for every good one, especially since the prequels came out and Lucasarts basically gave up on making interesting, good games when they realized they could just pump out of a bunch of crappy games and slap "Star Wars" on the box. Maybe Disney will turn this around but I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now I'm just really ignoring the SW hype and merch blitz until it dies down a bit. In a couple of weeks I'll get around to seeing episode VII.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
sheppie said:
Adam Jensen said:
No. I want CD Projekt RED to make it.
And take time out of making the Witcher 4? Insanity!

More seriously, I found those games to be pretty good. Would play a third one.
They are not making a Witcher 4, Cyberpunk 2077 is their next project.

However they are going to be spending most of 2016 focused on DLC, supporting and selling the Witcher 3 some more, hence the recent article on this site saying "they are not done with the Witcher yet".

Obsidian,

KoToR 2 was great (though a bit unfinished and buggy - though there is a mod to finish it).
New Vagas was great (though buggy).
Alpha Protocol was great.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
That's like asking if I'd like Westwood to make C&C 5. Sure, but it ain't really gonna happen.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Barbas said:
That's like asking if I'd like Westwood to make C&C 5. Sure, but it ain't really gonna happen.
I'm not sure I trust them either at this point. RA3 was pretty much just really silly and I've heard nothing good about Tiberium Twilight.

Maybe certain things should just be left in peace.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Sure thing.
SW:ToR is basically already that... and is going there even stronger with the release of Knights of the Fallen Empire.
Even though I would of course prefer a proper single player game without a monthly subscription.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
CD Projekt RED is where it's at. They would be perfect to continue the story.

Ishigami said:
Sure thing.
SW:ToR is basically already that... and is going there even stronger with the release of Knights of the Fallen Empire.
Even though I would of course prefer a proper single player game without a monthly subscription.
Waaat?
SWTOR has completely and utterly fucked up any story they originally created or inherited. Have you played KotFE? It's completely separate from the main SWTOR story because they can't keep it together.
They've also fucked up the Revan arc beyond recognition, and thrown him in at a bunch of random points (he's been killed some 8 times now in various dungeons and raids and even zones). Revan, Kreia, and the last dude were all slam dunk free points for awesome stories, yet BW managed to completely fuck it up with incredibly shortsighted "Hey come back we've put something quick and cool together for you!" thinking. (Furthermore, they can't balance for shit and the game is now more lopsided than it's been in the past 3 years.)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Fuck no. Fuck to the hell no. Bioware is no longer allowed to touch this series again, unless they free themselves from EA's grasp. I can already see it now, combat will be real-time instead of that round combat they had, open world filled with boring quests, and a voiced protagonist.

Unless KotOR is pretty much like the previous two games with a fresh coat of paint, a new story, and companions. I don't want it made. Obsidian should be given control if anyone will be making it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Like other people, I no longer have enough belief that Bioware would be capable of making a game that would live up to the previous ones. It is for the same reason I feel no hype at all for the next Mass Effect game. Bioware games have no soul any more.

I also disagree that Inquisition was better than Dragon Age 2. It had a lot less bad things, but it also had very little that was particular good about it. It was a safe, grindy and relatively dull game in my opinion. Dragon Age 2 had many flaws, but at least it tried something new. It's main downfall was how rushed it was, if they'd had less repetition and over the top combat it would probably have been better than Origins and Inquisition combined.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
A KissLike Smile said:
I also disagree that Inquisition was better than Dragon Age 2.
I actually liked Dragon Age 2 once I discovered a proper way to play it. Female Hawke is where it's at. Suddenly the game became awesome.

Dragon Age Inquisition is EA's attempt to make a Skyrim version of Dragon Age. It's so painfully obvious that the only reason the world was so fuckin' huge was because EA wanted to advertise "big sprawling huge open world" as a selling point because it's the current gaming climate. It's poorly designed because like most EA games they didn't think about how to make the game fun. They thought about how to add as many things that gamers these days seem to want.

That's why they shouldn't make another KOTOR game. It would just be a collection of gimmicks that are currently popular, cobbled together using a checklist in order to create a mess of a game where nothing really works and nothing is really fun. But you can advertise the shit out of all the features you threw in there.

Just compare The Witcher 3 to EA formula. The Witcher 3 only has the things that CDPR thought that the game should have. Some ideas taken from the books for obvious reasons, some ideas taken and refined from other games because they work well not because they're popular among gamers, and some new things that work exclusively in that game. Nothing feels out of place or forced or poorly implemented for the sake of it being there, not even the 4th wall breaking Gwent.

The reason I don't even want Obsidian to do it is because Obsidian wouldn't do anything new with it. They would play it safe like they always do. They would make a better version of every other game they've ever made. For some people that's good enough. Not for me. CDPR is the only developer that would look at KOTOR and think "what can we do with this that hasn't been done"? And I know that they would come up with something unique and fun.

Obsidian is very much like J.J. Abrams in that regard. Even though I'd probably have fun, I couldn't help but ask myself what if Tarantino was in charge? CDPR is Tarantino in this analogy in case you weren't following along.