Poll: Wow, I'm a sad person, I guess.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
I like doing some things on my own, but I never really want to be left alone. I always want to know there's somebody out there I can talk to if I need it, or even just hang out.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Tough question. I like being alone but I despise being lonely. I like solitude as long as there's people I can I can go back to when I'm done with it.

Crash 9000

Oct 22, 2009
Woodsey said:
Crash 9000 said:
Woodsey said:
Crash 9000 said:
Woodsey said:
Crash 9000 said:
All the chicks I have ever spoken to lose interest in me when I say I have a terrible career that doesn't pay much. I don't, but if they know I have a good income they might only want me for my money.
That's a slightly flawed plan, considering it makes you sound like a going-nowhere-loser.

And why should anyone be interested in someone like that?
My point is, I am an interesting person, just I claim to have a bad career. Surely a person would not care about a potential partner's income if they are a good person?
I simply claim I have a poor income and a boring job. And if they don't wish to be around me, I don't mind. I would rather be loved for who I am than loved for my income. And if I can't be loved for who I am, then oh well, I guess I'll go buy a new GPU with that money I would of spent on a partner.

By your definition if someone makes a poor income he is a going-nowhere-loser? Yeah, must be! No such thing as financially-poor people who are interesting or anything!
Read what I said.

It was in response to you saying you have a terrible career, not just that your pay is shit. It gives people the strong sense that you are a loser (hint: WHAT I SAID HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY) because you're stuck in a job you hate for no reason at all.

It makes you seem totally un-motivated, which equals lazy. People don't want to be with lazy people. Your notion that you need to test people is ridiculous as it's not in the slightest bit scientific and you're misinterpreting results.

Sure, some people are put off by low income, but not the majority.
Hmmm, good point! I guess I should just not mention my career and hope for the best. And if anyone asks, I just make around an average income.
*sigh* Nevermind.

Why would you tell anyone your income anyway?
Well they would normally ask, then I would explain it. Somewhere in explaining it I would accidentally say how much I make.

Is there any way I could find out if a woman likes me or my financial-lifeline?
My method was just a five minute, crazy idea I slapped together until I could think of something better.

EDIT: Just that my idea doesn't seem to work, maybe someone else knows the answer or something? :D

clipse15

May 18, 2009
Aur0ra145 said:
I'm going to say that most of the children on this website haven't been out in the world, away from mom and dad, and all of your friends, to really grasp what being alone is like. What most of ya'll are describing is a "personal" time you'd want to take out of a normal day in your current surroundings.

Three weeks ago I took a trip to the desert by myself, I camped out alone, watched the stars and shot my dinner. The first few days were nice, but after a week and a half you start to get lonely. Not the feeling sorry for yourself lonely, but the want to be with people, even just to have someone to talk to even just for a few minutes.

I see a lot of self loathing by people scattered around the internet, our society has become less of a "Do it for yourself" and "Rugged individualism" and has changed to people believing, "I'm entitled to it." I think everyone would be much happier if they started doing things for themselves, taking the blame for their mistakes and taking the good with the bad.

Another astounding thing I see from people I've run across is how incredibly self-centered most younger people are. Once you can get over your own ego, life will be much more enjoyable.

I for the longest time said I never wanted to get married and would weather life on my own. It wasn't until about two years ago I realized how flawed my philosophy had been. Now, I hope to get married one day, don't know to who yet, but hopefully I'll end up with someone at least compatible with me.
So much truth in this statement

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
Crash 9000 said:
Woodsey said:
Crash 9000 said:
Woodsey said:
Crash 9000 said:
Woodsey said:
Crash 9000 said:
All the chicks I have ever spoken to lose interest in me when I say I have a terrible career that doesn't pay much. I don't, but if they know I have a good income they might only want me for my money.
That's a slightly flawed plan, considering it makes you sound like a going-nowhere-loser.

And why should anyone be interested in someone like that?
My point is, I am an interesting person, just I claim to have a bad career. Surely a person would not care about a potential partner's income if they are a good person?
I simply claim I have a poor income and a boring job. And if they don't wish to be around me, I don't mind. I would rather be loved for who I am than loved for my income. And if I can't be loved for who I am, then oh well, I guess I'll go buy a new GPU with that money I would of spent on a partner.

By your definition if someone makes a poor income he is a going-nowhere-loser? Yeah, must be! No such thing as financially-poor people who are interesting or anything!
Read what I said.

It was in response to you saying you have a terrible career, not just that your pay is shit. It gives people the strong sense that you are a loser (hint: WHAT I SAID HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY) because you're stuck in a job you hate for no reason at all.

It makes you seem totally un-motivated, which equals lazy. People don't want to be with lazy people. Your notion that you need to test people is ridiculous as it's not in the slightest bit scientific and you're misinterpreting results.

Sure, some people are put off by low income, but not the majority.
Hmmm, good point! I guess I should just not mention my career and hope for the best. And if anyone asks, I just make around an average income.
*sigh* Nevermind.

Why would you tell anyone your income anyway?
Well they would normally ask, then I would explain it. Somewhere in explaining it I would accidentally say how much I make.

Is there any way I could find out if a woman likes me or my financial-lifeline?
My method was just a five minute, crazy idea I slapped together until I could think of something better.
Why do you insist on testing people? For one, it's really bad for "lying" to be your first gesture in a new relationship.

Tell them you make a healthy income and see what happens. It will become very obvious if the girl is interested in money or your "interesting" personality.

It seems to me that you have a problem with lying and are insecure with your yourself...women will probably be turned off by that. Just to let you know.

Disconnected

Apr 12, 2009
I love being alone! I mainly go online for the social aspects, however, oddly enough. I can only handle social outings and things in small doses, or people just start to annoy me. It isn't pathetic to just enjoy being yourself, by yourself. I think it is more pathetic to be unable to find happiness without clinging to others, personally.

I have friends I enjoy talking to, but I never get VERY close to them, or talk about myself, or discuss serious matters. They can just be fun to chat with sometimes. I also can't stand people touching my things or being in my house, so I can't remember the last time I ever had a friend come round.

I do like to debate about things online, however, because you can speak your honest opinion and it doesn't bother me when people go "OnG thats lyk sooo wrong u psycho!!!" for just saying something that is harsh but true (I won't go into examples, for risk of derailing the thread).

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Depends, really. Sometimes I love hanging out by myself.

But then.....I do love hanging out with people. Hm.

A bit of both?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
The poll needs more than just a yes option. Being alone is ok sometimes. Marriage isnt what its cracked up to be either but just get a girlfriend. You can have sex and enjoy a relationship without losing your manhood and half your possesions.
Wow, that's some view of marriage you have there, sport. I certainly don't think people should feel obligated to get married, but it's actually quite wonderful when it's done properly.
Yeah I really dont like what marriage has become. Its just another meaningless milestone like moving in together. Till you realise theres no more milestones to look forward to so its gonna get boring and stale. Im sure there are exceptions though. I just havent seen them

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Why would anyone want to get married? Your wife will just do what all wives do these days. Spout a kid and take everything you own because you don't have a vagina to give birth from.

Call me a cynic, but back when divorce was SERIOUSLY frowned upon and people waited to settle their differences, as opposed to "You don't like carrots? I'm taking all your mone." I don't like the idea of paying my ex-wife for things I own either.

Screw marriage.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
DividedUnity said:
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
The poll needs more than just a yes option. Being alone is ok sometimes. Marriage isnt what its cracked up to be either but just get a girlfriend. You can have sex and enjoy a relationship without losing your manhood and half your possesions.
Wow, that's some view of marriage you have there, sport. I certainly don't think people should feel obligated to get married, but it's actually quite wonderful when it's done properly.
Yeah I really dont like what marriage has become. Its just another meaningless milestone like moving in together. Till you realise theres no more milestones to look forward to so its gonna get boring and stale. Im sure there are exceptions though. I just havent seen them
You're absolutely right that a lot of people get married simply because it's "what you do", and don't give it nearly enough thought, but a marriage is no more likely to get boring and stale than any other long-term relationship.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Ah, lonelyness, what a great invention. Reading, gaming, TV or just not having to share accommodation with others...

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
How often does that happen though?

Monkeyman8 said:
crudus said:
Being alone means you don't need to wear clothes which means less time doing laundry and more time doing anything else.
well not anything else, you need to wear clothes to leave the house.
yeah, I live alone and I have no job (though I am looking) so yeah, anything else.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
You're absolutely right that a lot of people get married simply because it's "what you do", and don't give it nearly enough thought, but a marriage is no more likely to get boring and stale than any other long-term relationship.
I disagree as its kind of the final step and it takes usually along time to reach. The more time that elapses the more likely that it will get stale if it ever does.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
DividedUnity said:
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
Susan Arendt said:
DividedUnity said:
I disagree as its kind of the final step and it takes usually along time to reach. The more time that elapses the more likely that it will get stale if it ever does.
Have you been married? Or in a long term relationship?

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
No and Yes. My experience is built on what ive seen happening to those who have married, close family and friends never did I say that I was married and im pretty sure it would be illegal if I was. Im sure you knew that before you asked the question though

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Snor said:
i like being alone but also need some basic human interaction. that said if the right one shows up i wont say no
jeah ill make sure you wont turn into a hermit mustachio XD

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I voted no.

I function best alone but I do enjoy the company of others at times.

And yes, I would like to get married someday.

I notice that I turn people down a lot when they ask if I want to go do something, I don't know why I do it though.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I like being with people. I think conversations are fun most of the time. But my mental instability makes me uneasy talking to most people in person, and even online.

As for everyone else who said they prefer being alone: you realize you're talking to shitloads of people right now right?