Poll: Yo grammer nazis, help you're boy out.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
I'm terribly sorry, but I have to ask anyway.
Are the two errors in the title intentional or not? I feel that if I correct you here, I'd be falling into an elaborate trap.
...Guys, he says its intentional in the op...
Pimppeter2 said:
And yeah, the title errors were intended.
Did you even read the whole thing?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Pimppeter2 said:
I'm writing an essay, strugglebussing a bit, and figured I could use some help. What better place to get grammar advice than from those who badly want to commit genocide against all sentence fragments, run ons, and incorrect punctuations?

So, tell a brother. Which form of this sentence is correctly punctuated. (And why would help, if possible)

1) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

2)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual: nature or nurture.

3)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual, nature or nurture.

Or is it none of them and I need a question mark at the end of one of them? If so which one?

First person to help me out can have the soul of my second born child. I'd give you the first one, but I have to repay my student loans somehow.

Also, I'll make your E-penis bigger by being your best friend for the day. What more could you ask for?

I'd help, but after reading your title I'd rather you fail the project.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Sunrider84 said:
I'm terribly sorry, but I have to ask anyway.
Are the two errors in the title intentional or not? I feel that if I correct you here, I'd be falling into an elaborate trap.
...Guys, he says its intentional in the op...
Pimppeter2 said:
Did you even read the whole thing?
No, I didn't. I got stuck reading the examples he had given over and over. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Tacticity

Jun 1, 2011
BeeGeenie said:
How about option 4) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of whether nature or nurture has greater influence upon an individual.

It's an essay. It's flexible like that. I don't like any of those other three.
Was just about to suggest this. The three you have suggested don't really flow well in my opinion, and putting the "nature or nurture" in the middle eliminates anything awkwardly piggybacking onto the end of the sentence.

thewaever

Mar 4, 2010
It's most definitely NOT number 1.

Semicolons do not start lists.

Semicolons have 2 uses:
1. To separate items in a list, or
2. To join two sentences together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Number 2 is the correctly punctuated sentence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
I'm just really fucking peeved that almost NO ONE READ THE WHOLE OP.
Edit: Actually, turns out that everyone who didn't read the OP clustered around me. Everyone else read it, but the people directly below and above me didn't. In both of my posts. Fancy that.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
It's certainly Number 2. Number 1 uses a semicolon; however, if the two parts of the sentence were separated, the second part would be a fragment, and not a complete sentence. When a list is created in a sentence, a colon is always used; hence, Number 2 is correct. And because we're creating a list, a comma could be inappropriate, and Number 3 would therefor be incorrect.

Quod Erat Deomstrandum.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
?Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.? - Kurt Vonnegut

For that reason alone I get weird about using semicolons, even if they're for college assignments!

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
dscross said:
I'd restructure the sentence if I were you bro...

The question of whether nature or nurture has the greatest influence on an individual is one of the oldest philosophical debates known to man.

Hope that helps.
I agree with this suggestion.

As for the original sentences, I think the first option might be incorrect.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
BeeGeenie said:
How about option 4) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of whether nature or nurture has greater influence upon an individual.

It's an essay. It's flexible like that. I don't like any of those other three.
I've got to say this one is a lot easier to read so I would say this one is a good one to pick.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Sunrider84 said:
I'm just really fucking peeved that almost NO ONE READ THE WHOLE OP.
Edit: Actually, turns out that everyone who didn't read the OP clustered around me. Everyone else read it, but the people directly below and above me didn't. In both of my posts. Fancy that.
Whoa whoa whoa.... Salty!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
anonymity88 said:
?Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.? - Kurt Vonnegut
I completely disagree. Semicolons are wonderful things; they help to link two ideas together.

However, in this case, while agreeing with the general opinion that rephrasing the sentence would be a much better option, I'd say that version 3 is the best of the three. A semicolon is definitely wrong; semicolons are only used either to link two sentences together into a single sentence, or to separate complex lists. The colon is all right but just seems superfluous to me. If a comma will do, it's probably best.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
thewaever said:
It's most definitely NOT number 1.

Semicolons do not start lists.

Semicolons have 2 uses:
1. To separate items in a list, or
2. To join two sentences together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Number 2 is the correctly punctuated sentence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29
My mind is being blown by people choosing 1 and 3. I don't know why people are even saying option 1 is right considering it's a glaring misuse of the semicolon.

My vote is for "none of them". Use one of the better flowing sentences given in the thread.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
None of them are particularly functional sentences, although two is the most grammatically correct. Why not write:

Exactly how environment and heredity interact with and influence human beings, a question often referred to as the "nature versus nurture" debate, is one of the oldest and most important philosophical issues in the history of social thought.

Or if you really want to use a semicolon:

Whether or not heredity or environment plays a greater part in the development a human being is a central question in philosophy; the debate surrounding the topic is sometimes referred to as the "nature versus nurture" conflict.

Also, shame on those who identify as grammar Nazis yet condone the use of semicolons to set off a dependent clause. Shame!

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
For everyone saying that it's "definitely not number 2"...

You're all wrong. Firstly, a colon is not JUST used for lists. Even if it were, the example is still a list. In fact, the semicolon is the least proper use of a grammatical tool in this instance, because a semicolon is NOT used to introduce anything, list or otherwise; "nature or nurture" is the concept being introduced as to what is being debated. Semicolons are to be used when connecting two sentences that share the same concept.

It's maddening that Option 1 is leading in the polls, because it is the most incorrect.

Also, no question marks, you aren't asking any questions there. You're making a statement.

Alarir

Mar 30, 2011
All three lines are grammatically correct. This is because the end of the sentence can be cut off with the punctuation of lines one and three and still be correct. To clarify, "One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual," is a sentence in its own right; and thus the last part is merely extra baggage.

The reason line two is still in the running for being correct is because the colon is describing "the question of which has greater influence upon an individual." Given that that is what I believe you are trying to accomplish with this sentence (describing what the debate is) line two would be the most correct for your situation.

The majority of people here are choosing the first line, but that's because semi-colons are difficult to comprehend; even for the most adept English users. I have a couple of sources that can be utilized to help you, and anyone else here, out in the future for grammar issues:

How to use semi-colons: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

This comic is how I learned how to use semi-colons correctly; it's quite entertaining too! There are more grammar comics on that site as well if anyone is interested in looking at them.

GrammarBase: http://www.grammarbase.com/

This will check anything that you type for grammatical errors and provide suggestions, all for free; though there are some things that should be noted when using it.

First off the checker won't ever say that the use of 'you' is correct or incorrect in a sentence; it will assume that there is some context to the sentence that makes 'you' a proper subject. Papers shouldn't contain the word 'you'; the reader shouldn't ever feel targeted.

Second, it'll say whether or not you're using complex words; the phrasing is correct, it's just suggesting for you to tone it down.

Third, passive voice (was, were, generally any use of the verb be) is frowned upon. This is not to say that you shouldn't ever use passive voice, but if you can find a way to use active voice that will clarify your meaning to the reader (and not sound like nonsense) then you should.

Grammarly: http://www.grammarly.com

This is a much more advanced version of GrammarBase, and may be more preferable to you if you find yourself writing collegiate level papers frequently. The problem with it is that it isn't free like GrammarBase. It will tell you whether or not you have errors, but not where in the sentence. It will also cut you off if you use the free portion a bit too much in a single day. I don't use Grammarly because I'm cheap, but if you want to pay for it I definitely would say the price is worth it, based off of my limited use of it.

Hope this helps!