Poll: Yo grammer nazis, help you're boy out.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Necromancer Jim said:
SecondPrize said:
Pimppeter2 said:
I'm writing an essay, strugglebussing a bit, and figured I could use some help. What better place to get grammar advice than from those who badly want to commit genocide against all sentence fragments, run ons, and incorrect punctuations?

So, tell a brother. Which form of this sentence is correctly punctuated. (And why would help, if possible)

1) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

2)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual: nature or nurture.

3)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual, nature or nurture.

Or is it none of them and I need a question mark at the end of one of them? If so which one?

First person to help me out can have the soul of my second born child. I'd give you the first one, but I have to repay my student loans somehow.

Also, I'll make your E-penis bigger by being your best friend for the day. What more could you ask for?

And yeah, the title errors were intended.
I'd help, but after reading your title I'd rather you fail the project.
You are a masterful specimen, sir. Might I also suggest actually reading the entirety of the OP before quoting it?

Anyway, I think if you must use one of those, the second one seems the best. However, I'm not a grammar expert. If anything, I would say restructuring the sentence and avoiding the comma-colon-or-semicolon thing altogether would be for the best.
I did read it. What's your point?

May 28, 2009
Evil Top Hat said:
"One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man: which has the greater influence upon us, nature or nurture?"

That's how I'd word it at least.

[small] You should also seriously put a space after a closed bracket. [/small]
Would go with one or two or well this is also fine.

Also in the title you said "you're" it should be "your"

"you're" refers to "you are" while "your" signifies belonging.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I will admit when I saw the thread's authour, I thought this was a necro'd thread. I was wrong and happy to be wrong! Out of those three, two is correct but it still feels a bit off.

FreakofNatur

May 13, 2013
Pimppeter2 said:
I'm writing an essay, strugglebussing a bit, and figured I could use some help. What better place to get grammar advice than from those who badly want to commit genocide against all sentence fragments, run ons, and incorrect punctuations?

So, tell a brother. Which form of this sentence is correctly punctuated. (And why would help, if possible)

1) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

2)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual: nature or nurture.

3)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual, nature or nurture.

Or is it none of them and I need a question mark at the end of one of them? If so which one?
One of the oldest philosophical debates known to mean is the question; of** which has the greater influence upon an individual: nature, or nurture?

**word is entirely optional

You're asking a rhetorical question, the question mark helps the reader read it smoother. The semicolon prepares the reader for your hypothesis, allows for clearer understanding instead of trying to separate the clauses by themselves. My edit were made with ease of reading and understanding in mind, with my model of communication prioritizing clarity first.

That said, out of the 3 options I would go with 2 for effect. This usage of the colon is more modern: much more people are using it to link clauses. I've always viewed language as constantly evolving, we demand more and more from it; it will have to change over time to accommodate our demands. However, the phrase after the colon is not a "complete sentence" per se, so academics may have a problem with it.

Option 1 is a safe bet for traditional sentence construction. It's still a bet though. The earlier trims proposed are fine after the corrections posted by their writers.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
I would pick 2.
But it looks too long to me. I prefer shorter sentences.Is it about history or about the question? what's the important part in that sentence?
"Which has the greater influence: nature or nurture?
This question is one of the oldest...(go on writing about the history of the debate)"
If the history doesn't matter:
"Which has the greater influence: nature or nurture? Some will claim...(or whatever)"

edit: I need to find something better than "influence upon an individual" or just skip it like i did in the current version - assuming the title(or something else) gives a context

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Reading all these people flat-out refusing to read the OP in their haste to correct the grammar of the title makes me all happy.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
SecondPrize said:
Well, my point is that he did that intentionally to attract attention of grammar nazis so you are either very spiteful or very easily manipulated. Possibly both. But thanks for taking the time to post in a help thread saying you won't help and wishing the worst on a complete stranger for a petty reason.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Necromancer Jim said:
SecondPrize said:
Well, my point is that he did that intentionally to attract attention of grammar nazis so you are either very spiteful or very easily manipulated. Possibly both. But thanks for taking the time to post in a help thread saying you won't help and wishing the worst on a complete stranger for a petty reason.
Spite has nothing to do with it and were I easily manipulated, I would have helped him, wouldn't I have? Actually, how did you even get there? How does one read this and conclude that the intentions of the OP were to manipulate someone into NOT helping him with his title?
As far as a poor grade on a project goes, I hardly think that is the worst. I'd ask you to tone down the hyperbole but you're all in with the grammar Nazis so I guess that wouldn't help.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ghonesis said:
Indeed, it's not number 1.
But are you sure it's number 2? I know colons start lists, but is 'nature or nurture' a list? :/
I doubt it, but I could be wrong. :p
Yes. Yes I am. The use of colons is not limited to just "lists".

From the link in the post I quoted previously -

"The most common use of the colon is to inform the reader that what follows the colon proves, explains, or lists elements of what preceded it.

The Bedford Handbook describes several uses of a colon. For example, one can use a colon after an independent clause to direct attention to a list, an appositive, or a quotation. Also, it can be used between independent clauses if the second summarizes or explains the first.

Syntactical-descriptive

In this sense the colon introduces a description; in particular, it makes explicit the elements of a set.

I have three sisters: Daphne, Rose, and Suzanne. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_%28punctuation%29

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Firstly, the title alone made me want to stab you immediately.
Secondly, I would choose number three at a push, but I hate all of them.

Nature or nurture isn't a list (or a set as has been pointed out), it's a statement and as such a colon wouldn't fit and plenty of people have pointed out that a semi-colon is a no go.

I would rewrite it.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'd go with number 2. Number 1 doesn't work, semi-colons are for separating related sentences which "nature or nurture" is not.

Also, I like that you (deliberately?) erred in the thread title.

Sensei Le Roof

Jul 2, 2008
So, just for laughs, I ran all three options through Grammarly. It found no problems with any of them. I now trust Grammarly about as far as I could throw myself.

I will say it again: THE RIGHT ANSWER IS NUMBER TWO. This is not opinion. This is not conjecture. This is SPAR--er, fact.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
2 or 3 are both correct

Pick 2 if you want to be a little alternative ... 3 to play it safe

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Out of the options 2 or 3 from what I can tell.
If this is something someone will grade, I'd go with colon--it makes you seem smarter.

If it's an option, think about revising slightly.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Can I just point out that the title of this thread is hilariously ironic?

(Nevermind, his post indicated it was intended. Great job :) )

Further, the real issue here is the passive sentence structure. If you get to grad school level writing, you will get creamed for this.

Rather than that debacle, try something like:

"One of humanity's oldest philosophical debates is whether nature or nuture has more influence on an individual's development."