Poll: Yo grammer nazis, help you're boy out.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I'm writing an essay, strugglebussing a bit, and figured I could use some help. What better place to get grammar advice than from those who badly want to commit genocide against all sentence fragments, run ons, and incorrect punctuations?

So, tell a brother. Which form of this sentence is correctly punctuated. (And why would help, if possible)

1) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

2)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual: nature or nurture.

3)One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual, nature or nurture.

Or is it none of them and I need a question mark at the end of one of them? If so which one?

First person to help me out can have the soul of my second born child. I'd give you the first one, but I have to repay my student loans somehow.

Also, I'll make your E-penis bigger by being your best friend for the day. What more could you ask for?

And yeah, the title errors were intended.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
You've just made me feel really stupid, thank you for that.
It's definitely not number 2.
Do I qualify for the soul of your second born child?

I'm leaning towards Door Number One.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
If I was writing the essay I would definitely lean towards number 3, but that's just me.
And don't use question marks because they are more suited for journalistic articles rather than essays.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
"One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man: which has the greater influence upon us, nature or nurture?"

That's how I'd word it at least.

[small] You should also seriously put a space after a closed bracket. [/small]

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Its not 2, colons are for use in lists. You can make an argument for the use of a semicolon but to me, nature or nurture isn't really a sentence in its itself. On those grounds alone, I went with the humble common. Nature or nurture, to me, works better as a clause.

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't use any of them for use in an essay. Number two is incorrect and I'd choose between one or three with the toss of a coin. The sentence in all of it's forms feels particularly clumsy, and I doubt would be much greater with context. Here's a rephrasing that doesn't change the actual content significantly:

* "Nature or nurture?" The debate over which has a greater effect on an individual is one of the oldest known to man.

This sentence 'flows' better, though I believe with context you could create a more elegant phrasing. I'm not sure how relevant, or accurate, "one of the oldest known to man" is either. It feels like unnecessary word count padding.

EDIT: Derped an article or three.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Evil Top Hat said:
"One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man: which has the greater influence upon us, nature or nurture?"

That's how I'd word it at least.

[small] You should also seriously put a space after a closed bracket. [/small]
You would need a semi colon, not a colon in your phrase.

OT, I dunno about 1. I may be wrong, but I always wrote with the thinking that semicolons separated two independent clauses without using a conjunction. So 1 isn't correct. But then, is nature or nurture an independent clause? I don't think so, so 3 would be the correct one to use

To be honest though, I would just rewrite it. It's too clunky in my opinion

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
albino boo said:
Its not 2, [/b]colons are for use in lists. You can make an argument for the use of a semicolon but to me, nature or nurture isn't really a sentence in its itself. On those grounds alone, I went with the humble common. Nature or nurture, to me, works better as a clause.

They can also be for elaboration, although they are commonly only used for lists.

That said, go with the comma. Unless you have a punctuation-mad person marking it you could possibly get away with the semicolon and appear more educated, as most people are afraid of them; I'm a fan though of them personally.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Evil Top Hat's sentence, but with a semi colon instead. If not that then 3 is fine.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
How about option 4) One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man is the question of whether nature or nurture has greater influence upon an individual.

It's an essay. It's flexible like that. I don't like any of those other three.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'd restructure the sentence if I were you bro...

The question of whether nature or nurture has the greatest influence on an individual is one of the oldest philosophical debates known to man.

Hope that helps.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
albino boo said:
Its not 2, colons are for use in lists. You can make an argument for the use of a semicolon but to me, nature or nurture isn't really a sentence in its itself. On those grounds alone, I went with the humble common. Nature or nurture, to me, works better as a clause.
The colon in 2 is followed by a list. It only has 2 items in it, but it's still a list.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Is that statement true by the way? I'm interested. I thought the phrase 'nature vs nurture' only started in the 19th century when the discipline of psychology first emerged. Actually...now I think about it, did plato talk about it? Is that what you mean? :)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I believe you need a question mark at "nature or nurture?" because that is that question that is being asked.

And 1 and 3 are both correct I believe (well, question mark aside) and personally I'd pick 1 over 3.

That is, of course, if you're set on using one of those 3, some others have suggested other ways you could arrange the sentence

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Line one, but with an added bonus

One of the oldest philosophical debates known to man,(added a comma) is the question of which has greater influence upon an individual; nature or nurture.

PS; since you asked for a grammar nazi, you are gonna get a grammar nazi.

YOUR not you're. (in the title)

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Sure as hell isn't two. One and three could work, but I feel like you need a comma in there.
Then again, grammar was always my weaker part of English class.
SaneAmongInsane said:
....I really hope the improper use of your in the topic title was intentional.
Read the OP. He says it was right there.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'm terribly sorry, but I have to ask anyway.
Are the two errors in the title intentional or not? I feel that if I correct you here, I'd be falling into an elaborate trap.