Poll: You and cooking

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I've been here a while now, and I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the cooking skills of the Escapees before, so I pulled this one into existence from the screaming void of yet-to-be threads.

How are your cooking abilities? Are you the Master of Sauce and Oven, or did your last attempt at pasta sauce result in a 5-year hazardous material cleanup?

Any quick recipes people want to add are also welcome, though preferably spoilered.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
TopazFusion said:
I can't cook. At all.
It's a disgrace, I know.

The microwave gets a lot of use in my house.

Oh, and the toaster too.
High five for being a part of the Microwave Master race.
Give me a ready meal and I can become a fucking GOD in the kitchen. XD

NoMercy Rider

May 17, 2013
I rate myself somewhere between reasonable and excellent. I have been known to make an absolutely awesome spaghetti carbonara. For those that don't know, it's got bacon, mounds of parmesan cheese and egg that coats the noodles, along with other garnishments. It is too die for.

The big caveat though... I don't particularly enjoy cooking. I know lots of people that could spend a whole afternoon cooking and that just isn't for me. If the preparation takes more than 30 minutes I just am not interested. I will take more time and effort to prepare dishes for a party, but that is about it.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Im pretty good at it, and I enjoy experimenting (bow chica bow....oh who am I kidding). But no, I do enjoy cooking, in fact I cook for my parents most of the time when I visit (AND I have to clean the dishes too, what the hell the cook is not suppose to clean!). In fact, I want to learn how to make some Korean dishes and be the only white male in the US who can cook Korean food, that ought to increase my stock.

That said, I generally have to practice a new dish before I would serve it to others. Although my enthusiasm for cooking has caused relentless teasing towards me. I often get the joke that I would make a fine wife one day -_-.

I owe my cooking enthusiasm to Alton Brown.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I only cook for myself: I get to experiment, I'll eat it no matter how it turns out, and no one will mind the enormous mess in the kitchen.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can somewhat cook. I can make fried rice however I must rely on my dad premade meats and sauce to make up the rest of the fried rice meal. The reason why I don't do it myself since I know that it take bloody ages to season the meat and heat them etc and most of it will be put into the freezer.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I'm an OK to good cook, but there are some drawbacks to my cooking: I don't use salt (I always forget that other people like to have more than what's in the food already); I like to try new mixtures, and that's not to everyone's tastes.

The good thing right now is I don't have to worry about anyone else as I just cook for myself.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm pretty good, I guess?

I'm better at baking than cooking. But I do both from time to time.

I can make a Quiche from scratch. I've also once cooked a whole Christmas roast dinner, though I did have help with that one. =P

Though for some reason I can never flip an omlette... so I always get slightly overdone scrambled eggs instead. (Tastes goooood, though).

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I enjoy and am pretty good at cooking.

for the most part pretty simple.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Reasonable.
I don't like touching raw meat, but I will if I have to.

I can cook fairly well, I don't tend to do anything especially fancy.
I prefer to bake every now and again, because cake makes people happy.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Where's the take out option? I don't recall the last time I even tried to cook.

I give money to people who are better at food than I am. Specialization is the backbone of a modern, industrialized economy.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I love cooking, though I'm not great at it. The majority of my results taste pretty good but look horrifying.

I just bought a mandoline from Walmart so I can cut some super-thin vegetables, but I have no idea what to do with it. It makes me feel cheflike though

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
If i dont cook i dont eat so i picked it up pretty quickly. Most things go in the oven at 180ºc for about 30mins

Try making stirfrys they are simple, cheap, tasty and a healthy balanced meal. You also only have one wok to wash. All you do is fry some meat in a wok (i prefer pork belly because its inexpensive and tasty) then once cooked add some noodles and stir fry mix (pepper cabbage beansprouts and mushrooms) then add some sort of chinese style sauce

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm ok at cooking, it can take me a couple of tries to get new dishes though. And I hate doing anything insanely complex.

I seriously don't get how people can't cook, even just doing some pasta is the easiest thing ever & way cheaper than constantly buying food.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Yal said:
Where's the take out option? I don't recall the last time I even tried to cook.

I give money to people who are better at food than I am. Specialization is the backbone of a modern, industrialized economy.
get me a job where you work if you can afford to eat takeout all the time

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I only tried cooking a few years ago and I I wish I had started sooner because I found it quite fun!
it made me appreciate food and especially vegetables a lot more. Unfortunately I can only cook a few dishes, I just don't have the time or money to cook something really good.
I do like the simple ones though to be fair such as a nice steak dinner, I think the hardest thing I've done is a roast dinner lol.
I'll rate myself 3 out of ten I guess ha ha

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
I am a master chef! I create wonderful dishes to tantalize, tempt your taste buds, into conforming into the glorious vision I have set forth! Be prepared oh Escapist for today is your lucky day! I shall share some wonderful recipes for your next dinner party! Be ready to print out these bad boys. Here we go!

Spaghetti
1 Box spaghetti noodles
1 jar premade pasta sauce

Boil the pasta, until it is soft. Serve with sauce!
Viola!

Buttered Toast
2 slices bread
1 small spoon of butter

Put two pieces of bread in the toaster. Spread with butter.
Magnifico!

Ramen Noodle Soup
1 pack of Ramen Noodles (Any brand)

Place ramen in bowl, and cover with water. Microwave on high for 3 and a half minutes

Fantastico!

Realization that Omegaweopon is a terrible chef that burns No-Bake cookies (How!?!?!?!)

Cook a wonderful meal.
I can do that better than you, just you watch!
Consume burnt goods, because he tossed yours away, as his is clearly better.
Order out.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I consider myself pretty good. I actually do buy some cookbooks to try recipes.

However, if you guys really want to learn easy recipes, check this site. http://www.cookingcomically.com

It's pretty awesome. Although, if you check your weight, I'd skip a few recipes.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I'm ok at it,I'm better at deserts than actual recipes,which is not helping my waistline.I'm trying to get better and I feel I am to an extent.