Poll: You find 40 thousand dollars ?

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
For all I know, that backpack was purposefully left there to make a payment for some sort of shady or desperate deal. I'd be hard-pressed to leave my fingerprints on it, let alone take it and keep it. I might stand next to it and call the cops, though.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Yes.

It's 40K, of course im gonna keep it. Just a few things. First, pick it up and check if you can find any form of ID. Then, check around for any hidden camera's, you know from one of those secret reality shots where they want to see if people would return the cash.

If i cant find an ID, and there are no hidden camera's around (ie, i don't get caught) I walk home 40K richer.

And i'll probably spend it about right away. Get my drivers licence, few games. Keep a 5 grand separate for when i need a new gaming rig in the future. And some more fun stuff.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Step 1: Take a quick look around for anyone suspicious
Step 2: Nonchalantly shoulder the backpack full of cash and take it home. Make sure you're not followed.
Step 3: remove the money from the backpack. Deposit and spend at your leisure.
Step 4: Destroy the backpack and any evidence linking you to wherever you found the backpack

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
So, I would keep the money, but not out of greed. I would give 30,000 to charity, and keep the remaining 10,000 as a back up fund.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
I would keep it and wait.

If no problems follow up after waiting for quite a while (a few years or so), then I would probably invest and save.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I'd keep it, I have a lot of debts that need paying, and I'm like 8 years late on my education due to financial bullshit, and minimum wage ain't gonna pay for that without a little bit o help.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Depends on my mood, and the location i discover it in. If i were to stumble upon it in my current neighborhood, I'm withdrawing a finders fee (up to 80%) and kicking the rest into the street. If i were to discover it on my way to work. Its mine. During the day at work if i hear talking about it or someone talking about having misplaced something, i'd nonchalantly ask how much they 'misplaced' and ask them whereabouts they last saw it (most of my co-workers know i walk to work, so there'd be no suspicion)

Honestly my moral urges tell me to turn it in to the proper authorities, but lately you can't trust any of these jerk-offs anymore.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Mine. I'd take it home, sleep on it, then hide it in the bottomless pit that is my attic and spend it over an extended period of time. If no one knows you've got it and you don't stick it in the bank, you're golden.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
it depends on the circumstances really, if you find it in a bag with guns and drugs then yeah i'd be a little worried about who comes looking for it. but otherwise you quietly keep it to your damn self.

i'm always amazed by the news stories about people finding a bag of money or it turning up in their backyard or attic or whatever, supposing whoever owns that money is long dead it is the absolute worst thing you can do to tell thousands of anonymous strangers that you have a big pile of cash with no way to prove your ownership.

I would deffinitley keep it, spend it over time, have a few nice meals, buy some games, probably more than a few gifts for friends but buying something big and expensive all at once is dumb, buy things that don't have a known value. but hell yeah i'd keep it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
CommanderL said:
Ok the deal is you find 40 thousand dollars in a backpack I dont know how or where you find it you just find it would you return or keep the money ?
The first thing I would NOT do is create a thread about it on the internet.

*wink*

Aug 1, 2010
Eh, I'm not really sure.

My first instinct is take it instantly.

But lets be honest: What reasons are there for that much money being in a backpack?
Something to do with a drug cartel or payment for an assassination.

I would turn a chunk of it in and keep a finders fee. That way I still get payed, but hopefully the cops can track down whoever left it and get them before they get me.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Odds are it's 40k at a dead drop that I just happened to stumble upon.
I don't need to get mixed up in something like that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
There's a "View Results" button, guys!

OT: There's no way this isn't a sting. I'm not touching that money.

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
Is 40k really a backpack of money? I'm fairly sure that fits in an envelope.

That kind of money laying around in a backpack should either be illegal or insured. Either way, they should be covered, so if I were to take it, I'd cover my behind by a) taking the backpack and denying I know what's inside it, b) waiting at least 6 months to spend any of it, c) laundering the money, just in case.

Whether to do so or not- hard decision. It's not a small amount of money. I'd hope for someone to turn up looking for the backpack and make my life that bit easier.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Unless it's like that (Robert Bloch?) story that was in One Step Beyond or Twilight Zone or one of those '60s shows, where this guy in Las Vegas finds a money clip with twenty grand in it, and agonizes over keeping it and counting it over and over, but decides to be a good honest citizen and turns it in. Then henchman take him from his room and bring him to the mob boss who runs the hotel. The boss wants to know where the other ten grand is, and the guy knows there was no other ten grand, only they hand him the phone and it's his wife. The boss has a thug at the guy's home, who's going to start breaking his wife's fingers if he doesn't cough up the rest of the money. So, in that case, no, it is brain dead stupid to return the money. No good deed goes unpunished.
On the other hand, if anyone finds out you found a lot of money and didn't turn it in, they will either turn you in for a reward, or demand part of it to keep quiet, or they are the cops and will arrest you, or likewise demand part of it to keep quiet. This is Earth. Prepare to get screwed.