Poll: You Wake Up One Day and Find Out that You Have Become the King of England...

Jan 19, 2011
Upon waking up, you are informed by a distinguished elderly gentleman that you are, in fact, the rightful heir to the British throne. Given these circumstances, you have been allowed to ascend to the throne immediately.

With near limitless symbolic power, what do you do?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
First order of business, capes are now back in fashion. All gentlemen and ladies of proper families will now wear capes, and the more animal fur worked into the neck guard, the more proper the family.
Also I'm allowed to eat shell fish. Lets just get rid of that silly rule while we're at it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
[li]Reconvene the Witenagemot to act as my advisors. I do have a liking for the Anglo-Saxon period.[/li]
[li]Hand out titles of nobility to deserving family and friends.[/li]
[li]Change the Royal Coat of Arms so that the second English quarter is a new Welsh quarter. It's about time our Welsh friends got their recognition.[/li]
[li]Clarify that any future female heirs to the throne can be styled as the Princess of Wales. At that moment, that title has only been accorded to the wives of male heirs, not to female heirs themselves.[/li]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Drive (I dont have a driver's license) my army of swans to retake America from Trump.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Personally, a lot of the kingdom's funding would be invested into education and the arts. Also, deliberately piss off the common people, so a revolution would kick off. Why? So all those jackass nobles who think they're better than everyone else would get what was coming to them.

EDIT: Oh, were you talking about in the modern day? In that case, be like the actual King of England and do sweet FA.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would hired some smart people to try to fixed the country problem starting with the unemployement rate and povelty!

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
funny story, the actual rightful heir to The throne isn't actually the current incumbent. The rightful heir was a common Austrialian man who died recently. Mike Hastings, an Australian forklift driver died June 30 in Jerilderie, Australia.

Henry VII didn't actually have any Royal blood but he became king anyway in 1483. I saw it on a Tony Robinson documentary about the plantagenet line.

Hastings was 71. His full name and title was Michael Edward Abney-Hastings, the 14th Earl of Loudoun. Born and raised in England, he moved to Australia in 1960 in search of adventure.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
First, a costume party/masquerade ball. Open invitation, doubles as a charity fundraiser. Actual purpose? Lets me anonymously interact with my people. Because nobody expects the king to be a gorilla...or Sir Bearington and especially not Baron Samedi[footnote]Come on, the nominal head of the Anglican Church dressing up as a Vodou Loa? And a particularly foul mouthed and debaucherous one? Nobody would see it coming.[/footnote].

Second, hire someone with skill in movie prosthetics. That way I can keep anonymously mingling on the streets.

Third, make a routine of volunteering - in disguise - at various services such as soup kitchens, the Red Cross, and shelters. Obviously the people in charge would have to know, but aside from that I'd want it to be low key to keep the places from becoming circuses. Minor act on my part? Sure. I'd be hopeful, however, that when my activities inevitably leaked out, it would inspire others to contribute in a similar manner and create a much larger effect to help those in need.

Fourth, have a spot of tea.

Fifth, ponder future actions.

Silentpony said:
Also I'm allowed to eat shell fish. Lets just get rid of that silly rule while we're at it.
I'm confused. Is there actually a rule about the British royalty and shellfish, or was this a "damn you allergies" point? ...If it's an actual rule, yeah, screw that rule. I want my blue crabs.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Asita said:
Silentpony said:
I'm confused. Is there actually a rule about the British royalty and shellfish, or was this a "damn you allergies" point? ...If it's an actual rule, yeah, screw that rule. I want my blue crabs.
Yup. Old historical rule still in play. No shell fish. Also you're to limit how much onion and garlic you eat. So cheesy garlic bread with your lobster tail? Nope, not allowed!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
dscross said:
funny story, the actual rightful heir to The throne isn't actually the current incumbent. The rightful heir was a common Austrialian man who died recently. Mike Hastings, an Australian forklift driver died June 30 in Jerilderie, Australia.

Henry VII didn't actually have any Royal blood but he became king anyway in 1483. I saw it on a Tony Robinson documentary about the plantagenet line.

Hastings was 71. His full name and title was Michael Edward Abney-Hastings, the 14th Earl of Loudoun. Born and raised in England, he moved to Australia in 1960 in search of adventure.
They never conclusively proved he had the superior claim, IIRC, though it is possible.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
Asita said:
Silentpony said:
Yup. Old historical rule still in play. No shell fish. Also you're to limit how much onion and garlic you eat. So cheesy garlic bread with your lobster tail? Nope, not allowed!

Yeah, screw that rule. I grew up on the coast. I'm not going to permanently abstain from shellfish "just because" >_>

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Borty The Bort said:
Personally, a lot of the kingdom's funding would be invested into education and the arts. Also, deliberately piss off the common people, so a revolution would kick off. Why? So all those jackass nobles who think they're better than everyone else would get what was coming to them.

EDIT: Oh, were you talking about in the modern day? In that case, be like the actual King of England and do sweet FA.
There is no King of England. The Queen's husband is just a Prince for some reason...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I?d turn Buckingham Palace into a prison, arrest all the British electronic music artist that never seem to want to tour near me in America to play all my favorite songs for me every day for the entirety of my reign.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The title says "England", the op says "British". Not quite the same thing, and in either case, is it just the king of there? Not king of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc?