Poll: Your Favorite Variety of Sword In Gaming

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Shortswords, the ultimate balance between swords and daggers (at least in video games). Slightly sneakier than a sword, but still more viable in open combat than a dagger. And due to their light weight, you won't have much problem dual-weilding them, or opt to have a shield in your off-hand. And in games like Neverwinter Nights, you don't have to take some kind of stupid feat in order to use them (unless you're one of them spell casters, in which case, tough luck).

Some might call them jack-of-all-stats, master of none. I call them versatile.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The kind that is pulled out from another dimension and used so quickly that it appears as a blur that can slow down time around it.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Something short and fast so I can sting like a bee. Because lets face it, I would prefer to face a full grown bear then take on a bee in single combat.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
Well for swords I like the bigger the better, but I usually go with smaller more dexterious swords like curved or short swords.

Great sword looks more bad ass.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Greatsword since I know in real life I can never wield one due to my boney arms of my...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Rapiers all the way, but I like them to have a slight blade on 'em.
Built like a longsword yet as slim as a rapier, built for the trust yet able to nick an artery.
If it's not classified as a rapier then a lighter longsword.

This is pretty much it, maybe a little thinner but damn if that ain't fine.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Longswords. Versatile enough for close combat without sacrificing much in terms of reach and usability.

Unless my character is a giant, wielding a great sword would leave me too open for counterattacks.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Mortuary sword.

Mostly because of how they look (and because I'm a big ECW nerd...), but I'd guess they're as good as slicing and chopping as any other broadsword-esque weapon, and can probably do a bit of stabby stabby too. What more do you need?

Edit: Just realised this is in gaming, not in off topic. Its gone midday and I don't have a bloody clue what I'm doing or where I am :p

Seeing as I can't think of any ECW games off the top of my head, I'm going to go for the over-compensatory great sword variety, for sheer size and power of choppyness.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I am a fan of a greatsword. Something like the Claymore or Zweihander in Dark Souls. I don't object to the whole "ridiculously large cleaver thing" sword so long as it fits the tone of the game.
But I do also like A simple Sword+Board combo.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
how about a sword made of light? i know i've heard of one before... a light sword? a photon saber? ... hmm.

i like longswords usually. fairly strong but with the ability for use of a shield in the offhand.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
claymore. why you may ask? Because i have one thats why:) also they look like a real weapon most of the time unlike some of those smaller swords that look like you could break them in half.....

Jay Andrew

Oct 7, 2010
I've always preferred curved swords. Floating elegantly as they spray the blood of their victims all over the room. So beautiful

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I hardly ever use swords when playing games like Skyrim. They just feel too... I dunno, typical fantasy stuff. Maces and axes on the other hand, oh boy.

But if pressed I'd say curved, purely by their looks. Scimitars are somehow exotic and badass-looking.

Oct 2, 2012
In games I usually prefer longswords because they have a good balance of speed, damage and reach. And sice they are usually wielded one handed I can equip a shield for defense superior to greatswords (making up for the damage trade off) and other, faster swords (making up for the agility/speed tradeoff).

In real life I love katanas, scimitars and greatswords for their aesthetically pleasing designs and the skill that is needed to make one.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
The elegant Gladius. Cut, chop, stab, slice, dice, go, see, conquer, govern, bake, whatever.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
As much as I love a good old fashioned longsword, you just can't go wrong with a sabre or curved sword. I mean, scimitars are totally boss anyway, but they also sure as hell look kickass. Although, I must admit, I'm still waiting on a game that lets me use Sharpe's Heavy Cavalry Sabre: