Poll: Your feelings on the Devil May Cry Series

telocaster

Aug 12, 2011
Having never played a Devil May Cry game before, Is the series worth getting into? I know the collection is coming in April, is it worth checking out?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
The game was just meh. Not bad not great. If you want a similar game that is loads better go play god of war

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
I love them. The original is the best by far, 2 was a bit meh. 3 was good and 4 was very good in my opinion. Check out a bunch of videos on youtube of the combat and stuff and you'll probably be able to work out if you'll enjoy them.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I thought the first one was a revelation. The second was utter garbage and I kind of stopped there. Grab the first one used somewhere and have fun.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Awesome gameplay, shit stories and voice acting. Plus I thought Dante was kinda funny in 3 and 4. So yeah, I like the series in general including the much maligned DMC2.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
jackpackage200 said:
The game was just meh. Not bad not great. If you want a similar game that is loads better go play god of war
in what way?

telocaster said:
Having never played a Devil May Cry game before, Is the series worth getting into? I know the collection is coming in April, is it worth checking out?
yes, grab DMC 1 or 3. i suggest 3SE since its the origin story, and more content then 1

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I love the series so I would say yes. Do you want a game that pretty much stands up on it's combat, which which has tight but fluid controls? Do you want the kind of game that has an awesome difficulty scale where you are constantly improving but it's still the perfect amount of challenge? Do you want to play as a cocky badass with his own sense of style and do those awesome moves in gameplay? (That is, if you don't suck. Anyone who says otherwise should play on something over than easy automatic or realize games have technical limitations.) If that sounds like the kind of game you would like then I'd say a second yes.

I didn't find he series as one you play beat and shelf, I enjoyed it where I wanted to be better at it so I would be able to do the crazy combos. I haven't even beat a single one of Dante Must Die, but I will eventually, mark my words. If you're looking for a slow paced game, a random button masher, a story or realism go somewhere else. Anyone who calls DMC a button masher never played it (or at least not that far into it) because if you just mash buttons you die.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Honestly? Back in the day I thought the first game was okay but the series has grown stale for me. And when I go back to play them again I find they've aged badly. I feel like I'm the only person who thinks it needs the upcoming reboot.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Never played them to be honest. I think I might pick up a used copy of one the next time I'm at gamestop though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The first one was effin fantastic, the 3rd one was really good also, 2nd one kinda sucked and I haven't played the other one.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I liked DMC 1,3 and 4 (I guess 2 is OK) . But after I beat 4 I found myself think "My God" this series needs a reboot or at least needs to try something new.

I have NO problem with the DMC reboot what so ever, in fact to me it seems like an improvement.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I've only played the first three and I think my overall feel is that I like the idea of Devil May Cry. I like the idea that the whole series is essentially just one man versus the armies of Hell, except they don't take the approach that the odds might not be in his favor. Dante is going to personally murder every demon he comes across and there's not a whole lot that's going to stand in his way.

I see them as sort of a modern take on the Castlevania franchise.

In practice I find the games to be a little too flawed to hold my interest for long. There's very little in the way of plot, which would be fine if it took the Castlevania approach and just said "here's a bad ass there's the den of evil...now go kill shit." But they don't do that, they introduce just enough plot and character development for you to take an interest in their personalities and motivations and then refuse to deliver in any substantial way.
Add that to a combat system that is effective but sloppy and I just don't think the overall product is as good as it could be.

BlackHazard

Nov 6, 2008
ANImaniac89 said:
I liked DMC 1,3 and 4 (I guess 2 is OK) . But after I beat 4 I found myself think "My God" this series needs a reboot or at least needs to try something new.

I have NO problem with the DMC reboot what so ever, in fact to me it seems like an improvement.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I only finished number 4 and they are very solid games, awesome combat mechanics and just plain anime absurdity.

What they don't do well is progression, you get hundreds of different moves but they don't actually teach you the moves and they don't give you a reason to learn / use new ones, if you just stick to one or two you can beat the game without too much fuss.
And that is quite the hiccup for a game that prides itself on combat, because they leave you hanging with a small skill set it can get very repetitive.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I've never been able to get into them. The combat is just so repetitive and dull, I always lost interest after an hour or two. It's important to keep in mind though, I've had the exact same problem with similar games like God of War, so I might just be biased against that style of gameplay. If you enjoyed God of War or other hack and slash games, you'll probably like Devil May Cry.

That said, the reboot (or whatever you want to call it) looks pretty cool.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well the first is good, seocnd universally hated, third good but notoriously hard, and the fourth disliked because you mostly play as Nero but still good, and I'm looking forward to the parallel universe space time continuum Ninja Theory one.

The problems with the series include Capcom loving to reuse bosses. But apart from that you can feel absolutely badass if you're the right type of perosn. Just the opening cutscenes of DMC4 gave me goosebumps.