Poll: Your Opinions on Digital Distribution

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
marter said:
I much prefer to own a game. I have bought 212 games so far, and actually having the physical copy is a really good feeling I find. I also like being able to look over from the couch and see all my games sitting on the shelf.
I'm the same way. It also makes recovery easier if your harddrive goes (though Steam and some other companies are making it easier to recover.

But I have no problem with the idea of downloading games (or any media). But I like having loaded shelves of games, dvds/blurays, and books.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Since getting a new PC I've got most of my games off Steam. It saves swapping disks about.
Zero intention of derailing this thread but I am in love with your Avatar, I smile every time I see it xD

EDIT: OT: I get mine on steam because it takes me 6 seconds to see whats on sale, at a store it takes me 2 minutes to cycle there to see, and even then, most western games here are expensive =/

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
The positives of digital distribution are convenience, steam sales, less clutter (game cases and discs), no disc swapping. Things like that.

The negatives are less clutter ironically, like if you're a collector and enjoy a nice box art and physical disc/manual etc. There's also sometimes annoying DRM, and if you're inn an area of poor broadband coverage, you're screwed.

Not to mention if the company providing the digital distribution service ceases to exist, then depending on the system it uses, you could end up having paid for games you can no longer play.

Personally, I like digital distribution for attaining classic games that aren't available new in stores anymore, as well as indie games, and steam sales. It also makes for a good lazy impulse spend.

I do however prefer having hard copies for the majority of my games.

Basically as long as hard copy distribution and digital distribution can coincide with each other, I'm a happy consumer. I would hate if either method was eradicated.

EDIT: By the way people who keep starting threads that are overdone, here's an example of search bar use. It's not bloody difficult!!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I prefer digital distribution. At the very least I would like my license to a game to be separate from a physical disk.

Vetterthorir783

Jun 20, 2010
I prefer both, actually. for example, buddy of mine purchased sins of a solar empire. he was able to download on release day via stardock, and within a week was sent a physical copy of the disc. Through Stardock , he will be able to download it forever, and if that somehow becomes obsolete, he still has a physical disc to install from.

Problem. solved.