Poll: Your Pet is Drowning, and so is a Stranger.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I'd save the human.
Mostly so I wouldn't be ostracized from socIety.
I'd also tell the person I hate them, because of them my dog is dead, I'd feel like killing them myself.
Jerk.

Now I'm sad at the thought of my dog dying.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
jordanredd said:
NotALiberal said:
Because it's a human. That is the only rationale you need. Humans are intrinsically worth more. It's that fucking simple.
You did not answer my question.
Let's see, We are far more intelligent, we have far longer lifespans, if a pet dies, you just buy a new one, and being a stupid animal that it is, will love you just the same. You can't exactly buy a new mother or dad, or daughter etc. How is this even a question? You can try and justify it by saying you are selfish and do not give a fuck about morality. I'd rightfully call you a shitty human being, and further expand on this by saying not a single fuck would be given if you were to drop dead right now. The world needs less selfish assholes.

jordanredd

Aug 27, 2012
In Search of Username said:
imahobbit4062 said:
Why can't I save both exactly? I have the swimming skills and the physically to save both if need be it. I can't save them at the same time? Why not?
Because that would defeat the point of the thread? It's a hypothetical situation, not real life.
I realized that the poll question is poorly worded for the conclusions the OP is supposedly drawing from it. He seems to think those that answered "pet" would value a generic animal's life over a generic human's, but that's not what the results show. A better question to ask would be: "Would you save a strange dog's life or a strange human's life?"

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Failure to render assistance is rarely considered murder. In most places you'd get manslaughter or causing-death-through-criminal-negligence (which is pretty much manslaughter again) at best (or worst, depending on your POV).
Oh definitely. The person i was responding too said they would actively kill a person to save their pet outside this hypothetical scenario though, so i was responding to that. Failure to assist is definitely not direct murder.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Xartyve2 said:
Depends on the race of the person.

No I'm totally joking. I'd save the stranger.
lol

My pet is a fish so... just kidding i would save the person no matter what.

I know is late but it would have been informative to have four basic options:
Save the pet*
Save the pet
Save the stranger*
Save the stranger

*I have (have had) a pet that i cared about greatly

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Call me evil but my Pet.

Because s/he is a member of my family and as much as I try to help others, I am not risking my family's life to a stranger I never met...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
BathorysGraveland said:
Well I can't swim, so I guess I'd yell for someone to help. My first instinct though if I COULD swim, would be to save my pet. I'm sorry, but people/things I care about come before things I don't.
this, gotta take care of my own first

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
If it was a legitimate whirlpool I honestly dont think I'd go in as I'd just end up dying too.

However if there were 2 buttons and for some unknown reason I could only push 1 - one saving the stranger, one saving the pet - I'd push the one to save the stranger.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
I would save the stranger because to me a human is worth more than a dog or a cat or whatever.
Also to them people saying they would save the dog because the human could be a serial killer and kill you or something like that - this is called making excuses because you know you are doing the wrong thing and so you lie to yourself and say you are doing the right thing because it feels better than facing reality.

jordanredd

Aug 27, 2012
NotALiberal said:
Let's see, We are far more intelligent, we have far longer lifespans, if a pet dies, you just buy a new one, and being a stupid animal that it is, will love you just the same. You can't exactly buy a new mother or dad, or daughter etc. How is this even a question? You can try and justify it by saying you are selfish and do not give a fuck about morality. I'd rightfully call you a shitty human being, and further expand on this by saying not a single fuck would be given if you were to drop dead right now. The world needs less selfish assholes.
Never mind, I'll wait for a response from someone who's a little less of a prick.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
GunsmithKitten said:
NotALiberal said:
GunsmithKitten said:
Please explain where I said I was a conservative. I hate them and their self righteousness too.
*points at your name*

Yes, I'm presuming, but I'm willing to hear a correction of this presumption if you have one.
I'd like to think of my self as someone who uses logic as opposed to some arbitrary "left" and "right" standard. I'm what could be considered a "lefty" on some issues (like Gay Marriage), but more "moderate/conservative" on issues like gun control and abortion.

EDIT: I would also like to add I'm agnostic so again, religion has no part in my morality.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
*enters thread*

*sees flame war start on first page*

*reads further out of morbid curiosity, finds people conflating opinions and throwing out terms like 'sociopath' and 'monstrous'*

Let's see what Air Marshal Carlin has to say on the matter.

"If everything that ever lived is dead, and everything alive is gonna die, where does the sacred part come in?"

EDIT: Also, I can't swim, much less against the power of a whirlpool that's sucking in a hypothetical woman in her late twenties.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
jordanredd said:
NotALiberal said:
Never mind, I'll wait for a response from someone who's a little less of a prick.
The truth hurts doesn't it.
But he is right you can buy a new dog but whoever that persons family is can't buy another father, husband or whatever.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
BiscuitTrouser said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
A binary solution to a hypthetical does more than confirm bias Red or blue? Whats your favourite colour out of those? It shows preference in a case of two options.
Preference is bias... and that's not a hypothetical

Yes you should, so I wouldn't recommend any field experiments until you get that sorted out.

Funny thing, though, is even people who put a moderate value on human life may very well perfom the exact same actions because the material worth of the magic button machine would probably be in the billions at the lowest.
Those billions are being given out to people in 10 dollar clumps for shits and giggles. Maybe im the sociopath if im abusing technology like this...
Maybe you killed the previous owner of the magic button machine and are peforming a covert field test for potential buyers.

Anyway, lets say you win a contest and have to choose between these two cars, which one would you take and why?:

http://www.180sx.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/contributer-2/japshow-16.jpg

http://costablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lamborghini_murcielago_1.jpg

That hypothetical told me a little about your taste in cars as did your explanation for why you picked one.
Yeah but they're still confirming my biases to map data points. I did say that confirming biases was useless per se... Hell, it's only getting into shoddy territory when used for confirming the biases of the person(s) putting forward the hypothetical because it runs the very real risk of shaping information to fit pre-established conclusions. Which is why you should never trust polls and opinions.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
jordanredd said:
NotALiberal said:
Hey, you asked for my opinion, I merely gave it. Truth be told, not a single tear would be shed over anyone who picked their stupid slobbering instinct driven beast, as opposed to a rational, sentient human being.