Poll: Your programming experience

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
In junior high shcool I took a course in visual basic and spent some weeks doing hello word programming. That course didn't light the flame for coding.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
achilleas.k said:
I understand the that Python's whitespace-significant syntax is unappealing to most, but I personally learned to work with it and it serves its purpose well, namely, forcing readability and proper indentation. I like it.
I prefer the ability to indent my code as I see fit.
Have to agree, I tried getting into python but the reliance on whitespace as syntax control was a HUGE turn off for me.

whitespace/indentation should be used for organization, not control.

I don't really get the 'forced readability' aspect, Python code I've seen tends to look pretty messy and unorganized, especially in larger files.

UnendingLight

Dec 7, 2010
I know some DrRacket and C++/Visual Basic.

Not really much atm. Hoping to improve as I start taking more CS courses next semester.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Yeah, I took MIT's 6.001 class. I actually liked the *class* proper, but I hate functional programming. What in hell do you mean, I can't change a variable? I started with Java in high school. I don't want your set!.

Er, anyway.

Wait, I know quite a few people who program in Haskell, and they seem to be quite pleased with how much they're getting done.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
I was forced to do a module on coding for a program called Matlab. Im going an MSc in Applied Marine Geoscience and apparently we had to do it because it is good practice in industry to have some familiarity with atleast 1 coding language....
HARDEST.
THING.
I.
HAVE.
DONE.
IN.
MY.
LIFE.

I actually wrote a letter to my MP suggesting given how key computers will be in the future that the curriculum is changed to include some basic mandatory coding lessons so that at least people wouldnt be running into this blind.

I passed the module with like 59-62% (60% is the 2:1 boundary in the UK or a B I guess) but if I were to retake it now with no prep time Id fail so hard.