Poll: Your thoughts on Romania

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
Ok, I'm doing this as a study for my licence paper about people's perception of Romania, so be honest about it.
It doesn't really matter if you know ANYTHING about Romania,i just need some responses (especially in the poll)

For those responding in a post,
tell me -
For those who've never visited
-what do you know about it(in short)? What interests you about it? What would you like to see in it? What do you want it to be able to vitally provide for you (hotels, transportation etc.)

For those who have-
- what did you think of it? Did it confirm/un-confirm your opinion about it? Is there anything you think should change? Would you like to visit again sometime?

So yeah, please reply.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Hmm... Romania.

Top Gear went there, they had a good time.

For me, it's got mountains, it hasn't got Ceauşescu anymore, which is good. I'd certainly like to go and visit it, it looks like a nice country in Eastern europe.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Romania...apart from: Caeusescu; Transylvania; 4months, 3weeks & two days; & those creepy twins in that Black Lagoon: Second Barrage story arc, I know nothing.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
All I know about Romania is that the colors of the flag are blue, yellow and red.

I'd like to go one day. It'd be cool to see some of the landmarks. Don't they have that endless column statue?

Jono34

Nov 12, 2009
Moved to Romania three months ago (Bucharest)

Its a great place, and not at all like I thought it would be. The post-communist atmostphere is nice in a strange way..

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I had a couple of allies there... I lost contact with them about a year or so ago...
apart from that, the secret police there arrested a parrot for saying bad things about their leader.
I suppose it is an interesting place.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I've never visited it but from what I know.
The People's Palace as an underground tunnel network.
It has awesome roads.
The Dacia Sandero was built there.
Their national team played England in the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
It has great scenery.

[sup]First three facts came from Top Gear, as did the last one.[/sup]

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
I've been, and from the limited amount I saw, granted this was a good ten years ago, it was not a happy place. My family and I stayed in an apartment building a couple miles outside of the capital of Bucharest. The building was leaning, neither it nor any of the surrounding buildings had any color in them what so ever and the inhabitants just seemed... depressed. I don't think I saw one person smile except when we went to a small carnival a few blocks away. And yes, it was a gypsy carnival if I remember correctly. They were the only relatively happy people I can remember seeing.

Granted, we never went into the capital itself so my sightseeing was extremely limited. I've heard that the downtown area and the countryside are beautiful and I regret not seeing them but we were kinda on a mission.

We were there to pick up my adopted sister from an orphanage in Bucharest but the officials told us it would be "safer" if they brought her to us. And we still almost got robbed...

I don't claim to know Romania inside and out and I don't know much about the country's recent history, but, from what I saw, it's not a real happy place.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
faceless chick said:
Ok, I'm doing this as a study for my licence paper about people's perception of Romania, so be honest about it.
It doesn't really matter if you know ANYTHING about Romania,i just need some responses (especially in the poll)

tell me -
-what do you know about it(in short)? What interests you about it? What would you like to see in it? What do you want it to be able to vitally provide for you (hotels, transportation etc.)

For those who have-
- what did you think of it? Did it confirm/un-confirm your opinion about it? Is there anything you think should change? Would you like to visit again sometime?

So yeah, please reply.
...Oh God, I'm about to sound ignorant...

Isn't Romania where the mythical Transylvania used to lie? That's all I've got, except I heard that their women are cute.

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
funguy2121 said:
faceless chick said:

tell me -

For those who have-

So yeah, please reply.
...Oh God, I'm about to sound ignorant...

Isn't Romania where the mythical Transylvania used to lie? That's all I've got, except I heard that their women are cute.
Yeah.
And don't worry about sounding ignorant, it's not like it's a really important place.

I don't need "informed" replies, I just need replies.
The more honest, the better.

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Yes i'd love to visit Romania. The Retezat region looks lovely and i want to see the Danube (watch the film black cat white cat to understand!)

Although i'm still shocked it's in the EU now. Heh. Oh well means i can just drive in with my awesome red passport.

Yudas

Apr 30, 2009
I know shamefully little about the balkans. I have heard the terrain is beautiful however. Sure I'd like to visit.