Poll: Your thoughts on Romania

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Yudas said:
I know shamefully little about the balkans. I have heard the terrain is beautiful however. Sure I'd like to visit.
Romania aint in the Balkans mate. It's Danube region. Balkans are to the south.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Honestly, the last thing I saw in the news about Romania was about that doctor that cut a guy's dick off.

Yudas

Apr 30, 2009
faselei said:
Yudas said:
I know shamefully little about the balkans. I have heard the terrain is beautiful however. Sure I'd like to visit.
Romania aint in the Balkans mate. It's Danube region. Balkans are to the south.
Your right my bad. It borders the balkans so I was close at least :p.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Nice women, like their drink (who doesn't?) and they have a very corrupt government.

Plus I know a few Romanians that I met through gaming and they are cool guys.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Transyl..................wait for it....................VANIA!

Hell yeah I'd go to that place, it would be an incredibly interesting trip. The Carpathian Mountains would be an awesome place to see.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
From what I gather(top gear) the big places are nice but when they went out into the countryside, well I would be scared to go there:p

Except! The best road in the world, one day if i'm rich or got a good car, that's where i'm heading:D

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I said "yes" as the best answer. Simply put I'd love to go on vacation to Europe, and while Romania wouldn't be the #1 choice on my list of places I'd want to go, I suppose if I won a contest or something it would be cool to see.

As far as what I know about Romania goes, that's hard to say. I've read a lot of novels by people claiming to have done "research" in the region for the sake of authenticity. I've also heard that going there as a tourist basically results in a barrage of Vampire/Dracula, Werewolf, Pseudo-Frankenstein, Gypsy occult kitsch. A lot of tourists going to the region of course being interested in that stuff so pretty much anyone wanting to make a dime off tourists down there has adopted it, which can also apparently make trying to do SERIOUS research in the region, especially on those subjects, a total pain in the keister.

A number of years ago Romania was apparently viewed as "party nation" for a while because you could get away from a lot of the UK/British laws there governing things like drugs, prostitution, etc... at least as far as serious enforcement went. At the same time Amsterdam/Holland was briefly tightening up. One of the direct to video "Hellraiser" movies went there for this reason to prove it was fairly "current", and apparently this is also why a similar enviroment was chosen for the "Hostel" movies since that's the kind of place young adults were going to put their hair down.

I've never been pro-drugs for reasons I won't go into, and I'm old enough where perversion aside the prescence of loose women/cheap hookers doesn't really appeal to me. I can however appreciate tourist Kitsch if it's done well and entertains me in accordance to what I pay for it, so I guess I'd have a fairly good time.

I think a lot of "second world" europe has tightened up so I really don't know where kids are supposed to be going "backpacking" with only Daddy's credit cards nowadays. :p

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
faceless chick said:
Whoa, hold on there.

This is a give-and-take. I want info! I put myself out there, lookin' all ignorant 'n' stuff. At least correct me if I'm wrong!

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
funguy2121 said:
faceless chick said:
Whoa, hold on there.

This is a give-and-take. I want info! I put myself out there, lookin' all ignorant 'n' stuff. At least correct me if I'm wrong!
"yeah" was meant as "yes, that's true".
Transylvania is a region in the center of Romania, surrounded by the Carpathian mountains.
Also I heard that the women are among the most beautiful in Europe (several claims and polls), so I guess you're right about that too. :D

Sorry if I wasn't too clear.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
When I was in high school, my Latin teacher was from Romania.

She was stern, authoritative and had an excellent grasp of her subject. But, she was also incredibly nice. She just took a bit to get to know but once you did, she was really, really sweet. She was an awesome teacher.

So she made Romania look great. :)

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The People's Palace looks damn cool.

[sub]No, I did not get that from Top Gear. Micheal Palin all the way, bitches.[/sub]

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Romania: Has quite a distinctive character, being largelly assosated with vampires, gypsies and rugged mountains. I would also say that peoples perceptions of the country are that it's, being a former soviet bloc country, rather backwards, many of its people are poor. Watching Top Gear recently confirmed that poverty appears to be an issue in the country. The language would appear to go right over most peoples heads, it sounds really confusing. So, to summerise in one sentence, i think Romania's got an interesting character, but it is a rather poor country.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Except in the big cities it's quite poor and under developed.
That's where Vlad Trepes was from.
It was an important country during the Crusades.
That's where the western idea of vampires originated.
People that live there still believe in vampires.

Oh and my friend said that all the women there are either extremely ugly or drop dead gorgeous... apparently there is no middle ground.