Poll: Your view on parents spanking their children?

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
It would be completely socially unacceptable for me to strike my girlfriend for playing up, so I don't see why it should be any different with a child, children are people too.

When you see some people on the news in care homes occasionally taking their frustration out on the old people they're taking care of, people are up in arms. "These people need to be taken care of, not punished for their own ineptitude or difficulty!"

The polls here show a pretty worrying figures to me. Why the fuck is there a double standard for kids?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i voted not acceptable because it should not be a usual form of punishment. nobody in my extended family was beaten as a child and most of us turned out fine however i have to admit that for some children physical punishment as a last resort (more used as a threat than as a regular form of punishment)just works. the problem i see is that a lot of parents would probably use spanking as a moderated means of disciplining their children won't them out of principal and other parents just hit their children because they are to lazy for anything else.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Hunter65416 said:
In my home country (New Zealand) its now illegal to spank your children, I dont think its very in-forced but I do remember seeing the occasional news report about someone getting arrested for spanking their child in public.. While I disagree with parents spanking their kids as discipline method #1 I defiantly disagree with the government deciding how people should raise their kids.
Ahh, you mean that idiotic law that penalizes the good parents and does nothing to the ones who are actually beating their children
Because that's what it was for wasn't it? To lower child abuse? Hah, good luck with that I say, really worked didn't it
Anyhow, I believe it is a very effective method of punishment, puts children in their place and they can't just ignore a slap on the butt
But yeah, a smack should only be for very bad behavior rather than just slight, but the ability to do so should still be there
Honestly, the PC attitude of our country is the reason we have so many young pillocks running around acting with no discipline, because they get none.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I got a functional brain and I believe I know what's right and what's wrong. I have certain views that differ greatly from that of my parents, I'm pretty in sync with siblings.

I got spanked about half a dozen times in my youth, two times from teachers - none of those spankings were ill-willed, and I was clearly out of bounds. They did not scar me, but reset me and made me reconsider my actions of those preceding moments.

Spanking was quick and efficient. My favourite grandpa yelled at me when I messed up or did something dangerous, like chopping firewood with an axe twice my size. That yelling was far worse than the cut-to-the-chase, instant spank job.

When you handle large animals, especially what could be considered ADD or special needs individuals, training can very well involve two, three, maybe half a dozen slaps and spanks in the first couple of months. I think it's well worth it if the 120- to 200-pound free-as-a-bird, fanged muscle mass accepts and knows boundaries for the decade or so of peaceful, cooperative co-existence instead of turning into a parasitic, homicidal anti-authoritarian time bomb.

There are two major schools of thought that might have spawned these laws. One of them strives to protect the children, but it makes all parents look like brutal idiots who are too stupid to raise their kids properly. The other one just wants to make all parents look like brutal idiots who are too stupid to raise their kids properly.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
no never hitting someone that is defenceless makes you a abusive dickhead and if you think otherwise your just plain wrong and I think UNICEF agrees whit me

and I grew up in a country that forbid childabuse in 1966 and made it a law 1979. and we do just fine

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
It should never be used. It is ineffective, counter productive and a lot of other big words.

What sort of parent would want to teach their kid that causing pain is good or to obey anyone who causes you pain? In the rare occasions it does anything other then make a child rebel it only sends them the wrong message.
I have been spanked before and the only thing it done was earn my dad slap.

BOOM headshot65 said:
Spanking? HA! My dads worst punishment was his belt. Now there is something that gets you to stop whatever the hell your doing and listen. And guess who will use that to disipline his children?

So obviously, spanking is OK, if used as disipline. Hell, I think anything short of straight-out torture/beating for the Evil lolz is good for disipline.
Oh look, evidence. Hitting your kid will make them think slapping kids around is just an amazing way to go about things. Obviously only a perfect parenting method could instill such values.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Spanking? HA! My dads worst punishment was his belt. Now there is something that gets you to stop whatever the hell your doing and listen. And guess who will use that to disipline his children?

So obviously, spanking is OK, if used as disipline. Hell, I think anything short of straight-out torture/beating for the Evil lolz is good for disipline.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I think I should be able to smack other people's kids when they've clearly given up on doing any parenting of their own.

Seriously, though, I don't really know how to answer that anymore; I don't think anyone who doesn't have kids can make a reasoned decision.

No social life

Oct 27, 2010
I think it all depends on the severity of whatever the child did, I know I warranted a good number of smacks as a child (I "liked" fire, explosives, dangerous chemistry and sharp things), and I got them, hell I was once even punched by a teacher in front of a whole class(I deserved it)

Things like putting the child in a corner work only with certain personality types, and each child is a individual so it is impossible to say one way of punishment is more effective than the other when talking about all children, however I do not think children should be abused or scared in anyway by anybody, and you will always have crappy parents, but those that abuse their children are not going to follow the laws, so its a tricky question on whether or not it should be completely illegal.

Instead, I think it should be restricted by the law and children should be made more aware of support systems and the laws as well as the limits and consequences of abusing a system set up for their protection. but even then there is now way to make people stop excessively punishing or beating their children short of a complete invasion of privacy.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Giftfromme said:
It was fucking hilarious, I read a recent study that showed that kids should not be punished at all, in any form ever. I'm not joking, you literally give in to the children on every single demand, and it's meant to produce happier parents, better kids etc

I just think this is the ultimate form for political correctness, it's simply reached its zenith
We have... severe issues with young adults that come from parents with a mindset like that. Basically, the parents outsourced any and all correctional influence to outside sources, so they can remain to be the 'nice guy parents'. Thing is, their kids, in general, hate them significantly more than kids who are known to come from functional families, even if those families feature divorces, adoptions or the kids have known histories of rape. These nice guy parents often consider themselves to be some sort of superhuman know-it-alls, and handling them is just as difficult as trying to keep their offspring out of trouble, out of jail and on some very generously laid-out acceptable track, even when they have a tendency to randomly do very random things, ranging from violent behaviour against peers, violent behaviour against teachers, vandalism, sexually aberrant things like preying on smaller and weaker kids... the list is long. And it costs a whole lot of money and attention, with little hope of being successful, really.

This is one extreme that, I think, should be debunked as totally bonkers and wrong. It causes so many issues and problems it's really difficult for pretty much any given society to cope with.

The other extreme is the kids from homes where 'raising kids' seems to involve belts and wooden spoons and pans and strangling and whatnot. Sometimes, I think it's these parents those laws were originally aimed at. Thing is, they'll have none of it, not even the most extreme forms of intervention have shown much success so far, safe for messing the kids up even more, be it by just turning their brains into layer cakes of traumata, or by daddy upping the ante on the violence front. If no police or lawyer can set these folks straight, why have laws that turn other, decent parents into law-breaking criminals? The occasional, justified spank is a good tool. By removing that tool without offering any replacement, the state risks an elevated probability of dysfunctional extremes popping up, and from what I can make of the human experiments conducted so far (time-outs, bleeding-edge pedagogics, therapy, medication, etc), I have to say I still couldn't shake my doubts, quite on the contrary. We're breeding a generation of randomness, and I don't like the high amounts of knock-your-socks-off medication and crippling therapy. I'm not with Scientology, they're just as bonkers with their "Industry of Death" dramatization of things, but we currently do have more issues and problems replicating themselves than we got convenient solutions at hand.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Boudica said:
Violence and fear are tools of the weak. Spanking teaches children to hit when confronted with a problem and inspires anxiety over consequences instead of respect for values.
Anxiety over consequences? Good thing. "Oh man, if I do that what might happen?!"

OT: My mother raised me as a brat who started acting out after her dad died, so she had it pretty bad. Once, when I was 5 or something, I kicked the mirrors out of my built-in wardrobe and my mum caught me. Mostly because of the sickening crash and smash that ensued.

Calm as fuck, she picked me up out of the wardrobe, pulled down my pants and smacked the beejebus outta me. I never did it again.

Parents these days have too much fear of their children and that's why kids are so messed up. /old person rant
/I'm 21
/Wow, I'm too cynical for my own good.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Boudica said:
Violence and fear are tools of the weak. Spanking teaches children to hit when confronted with a problem and inspires anxiety over consequences instead of respect for values.
There is logic in this, but I was smacked a total of two times by my parents, growing up, and I still got into fights on a regular basis with other kids.

It's a primal instinct to react with violence when threatened, the old 'fight or flight' deal, so saying that by not smacking their kids they won't be violent themselves isn't actually true, but punishing violence with more violence is definitely not the way to go, so I still agree with you.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Boudica said:
Radelaide said:
Boudica said:
Anxiety over consequences? Good thing. "Oh man, if I do that what might happen?!"
Instead of developing a sense of value in and of itself, a spanked child is taught over time to do what they are told because they fear they will receive negative consequences; they don't take the money because they don't want to be hit, not because they are taught of or consider the impact of their actions on others.

If the only reason you don't do wrong is because of what will happen to you, you're not doing good.
Isn't that the whole idea of consequences? Not doing something because something *bad* might happened?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I think it should be used as a last resort. My cousin for example does whatever she wants because she knows that her actions have no consequences, you tell her to stop, even yell and she pretends not to hear, what else can you do to make her understand that turning on the oven is not fucking ok ?

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I think spanking as a punishment should only be used as a last resort. I was occasionally slapped or hit with a belt as a child, and I turned out fine. Normally, even my mother just threatening me with a belt was enough to scare me into doing as she told.