Poll: You're pregnant. What do you do?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I consider myself to be Pro-Choice so while I may not always condone abortion as a course of action, I can understand and appreciate the reasonable circumstances that would lead a woman to go through with it.

If my GF (you know, the one I don't have atm) became pregnant tomorrow, I would be willing to keep the child and raise it together. Obviously, I can't predict what HER reaction and decision would be.

However, I am at a point in my life where I could see this through even if unexpected. I'm at a good age to become a father, I have the financial means to raise a child and I feel as though I am mature and responsible enough, as well.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Keep. I'm a virgin with no boyfriend, so if I suddenly get pregnant (and assuming that no sex at all happened prior to this), that means Armageddon's coming. Sure, people are going to be after my life (and the baby's) to postpone it, but even if they succeed, they've bought nine months at most. If it's going to happen soon anyway, I don't want to risk God getting pissed off at me.

Of course, if sex did happen, then I'd very likely go for adoption after some serious psychological counseling.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
It would really depend on the situation I would be in at the time. Right now, I would give the kid up for adoption as I don't have financial stability nor do I have the maturity it takes to raise a kid. Unless something was happening with the baby that would severely reduce quality of life, then I would abort. Later in life when things are hopefully more stable, however, I would keep the child.

Lord Merik

May 17, 2011
Kendarik said:
Lord Merik said:
TestECull said:
Lord Merik said:
what is wrong is adoption? Why opt to kill the kid when you can send it somewhere where it will be loved?
Adoption is expensive and doesn't always work. There's a 50/50 shot the kid will end up in a worse home than if he was never adopted out in the first place, and that's assuming he even gets adopted!
not really true. I am adopted. It worked fine for me. Besides are you saying that killing the poor kid is better then giving him a 50/50 chance as you say?
Depends which side of the 50/50 he falls on. I don't know if I could live with that chance. Even more importantly to me, the lack of sealed adoption records means the issue would never be closed. I'd spend the rest of my life waiting to see if they would show up at my door one day, you can never really separate yourself from it and thus you can never stop thinking about the child and worrying about the child. If they still had sealed adoptions, it would be easier to give the kid up and move on.

I'd have the abortion and give another kid a chance when I'm ready. A kid who never knew they existed isn't being deprived of anything and is protected from harm.
There is a difference between a foster family (where they can take you away) and adoption where you a legally the child of your parents. For a adopted kid they won't just show up and take him away

Lord Merik

May 17, 2011
Kendarik said:
Lord Merik said:
Kendarik said:
Lord Merik said:
TestECull said:
Lord Merik said:
what is wrong is adoption? Why opt to kill the kid when you can send it somewhere where it will be loved?
Adoption is expensive and doesn't always work. There's a 50/50 shot the kid will end up in a worse home than if he was never adopted out in the first place, and that's assuming he even gets adopted!
not really true. I am adopted. It worked fine for me. Besides are you saying that killing the poor kid is better then giving him a 50/50 chance as you say?
Depends which side of the 50/50 he falls on. I don't know if I could live with that chance. Even more importantly to me, the lack of sealed adoption records means the issue would never be closed. I'd spend the rest of my life waiting to see if they would show up at my door one day, you can never really separate yourself from it and thus you can never stop thinking about the child and worrying about the child. If they still had sealed adoptions, it would be easier to give the kid up and move on.

I'd have the abortion and give another kid a chance when I'm ready. A kid who never knew they existed isn't being deprived of anything and is protected from harm.

Well I don't know about every kid ever but for my the adoption went great and I never was taken away from my parents. I am glad I was not aborted. (and so is my mother)

There is a difference between a foster family (where they can take you away) and adoption where you a legally the child of your parents. For a adopted kid they won't just show up and take him away
I was talking about adoption, not foster care (which of course is a horrible fate for many kids).

Open adoption records mean that the kid can can later find out who you are and then track you down, even if you don't want them to. So, you can't just give the kid up and move on.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Currently? Abortion. Abortion may not be great for the body, but pregnancy is worse. I don't want all the stretch marks, hemorrhoids, and other crud pregnancy brings.

If not, I'd give it up for adoption. I'm also in no way economically or emotionally ready to take care of a child.

A child is one of the biggest responsibilities a human being can have. And should never be taken lightly. And I'm not going to be held responsible for such a thing just because I somehow made a mistake during sex or got unlucky. Raising a child you are not ready for is not "dealing with the consequences" or "taking responsibility". Attempting to raise a baby just because you had sex and something went wrong, is irresponsibility of a huge magnitude.

If it means some kid walks up to my door 20 years in the future, and asks me why I didn't love and take care of them, even though I'm their mother. I would tell them "Biology means nothing. Your parents are the people who loved you and took care of you. Don't insult them by treating me like I'm your mother. I was merely a womb for you. There are some people who are ready for kids, and there are some people who are not. Your parents were, I was not. Now go back home and tell your parents you love them."

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I'm a man, so my opinion on the matter isn't really important. My view is that it should be left entirely to the woman who's pregnant to decide if she she wants to carry the fetus to full term, or abort, or give birth and give it up for adoption. I've known men, predominately Catholic, who feel like it's their child because they came in the woman and did nothing else, and therefore it's their decision. That's wrong. A woman has a right to decide what to do with something growing inside their body, something that will completely change their life forever.

Personally, I would go with abortion. I've thought about it quite a bit, and having children seems like one of the most selfish things a person can do. I've had a shitty life, not as shitty as quite a few people, but shitty. Having gone through everything I have in my life, I can't imagine creating another human being who may have to go through the same things I have. Most parents have children either by accident, or because they want a little version of themselves, to make their lives more complete. The people who have kids by 'accident, and it's really not that hard to wear a condom or pull out' I can understand a bit more. They didn't mean for it to happen, but it did. The people who choose to create a human being who will have to go through 80 years of shit if they're lucky, they piss me off. It's done for selfish reasons, the pleasure of sex, the desire to create more of you.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Get an abortion. I'm 16, and I refuse to be another pregnant teen in my town. That, and I know I'm not emotionally mature enough to handle a kid, and I'd probably won't be able to give it up for adoption.

That and pregnancy is fucking weird. My sister-in-law was pregnant (and recently gave birth to THE CUTEST BABY GIRL EVA!) and those 9 months were weird as fuck.

But yeah, I've already decided that I'm waaay to young to be a parent or even give birth to a child.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
Male, but if I got someone pregnant I'd do my best to look after it.

The situation is unlikely considering I want to wait until marriage, but should my more base desires get the better of me and I end up with a baby... I think I'd have a duty to care for it the best I could.

Considering that I'm 17, the best care I could probably give it would be adoption though. :/

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'd get an abortion. I don't want children, and I wouldn't want to add to the population in any form. Furthermore, given the illnesses that run in my family, I'd consider it outright irresponsible to procreate.