Poll: You're pregnant. What do you do?

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Deathmageddon said:
Y U NO REALIZE THAT ABORTION IS INFANTICIDE?!
Y U suppose I care? Until the thing is capable of surviving on its own, as far as I am concerned it has the same rights as any other parasite leeching off of my innards. I wouldn't have a second thought about killing a tapeworm, and I wouldn't have a second thought about aborting an unwanted child, either. Post-birth, yeah, there are issues. But on the off chance that I somehow became pregnant (again, lesbian), it'd be gone well before week 8. Like week 3, if I was slow to pick up on the whole "pregnant" thing. I feel no obligation to carry a kid I don't want around for 9 months, just because "you can give it up afterward". To be frank, it isn't worth it. That's a lot of expense and hormones and really fraking things up, for a net gain of nothing.

torzath

Jun 29, 2010
Abortion. The idea of pregnancy freaks me out hardcore. Besides, the only way I'd get pregnant would be through rape anyway.
And according to my family history, I'm a likely carrier of cystic fibrosis, something I'd never wish on anyone.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't think I know what I'd do as it's not really anything I've ever considered [small](I'm assuming that for guys is getting a girl pregnant and not getting pregnant yourself, because that'd be weird.)[/small], I'd like to think that I'm mature enough to take care of the child myself confronting the consequences of my actions, but really I don't think I can know unless I'm in that situation, considering I've had girls practically offer themselves to me and haven't had sex yet, I think I'm doing a very good job of avoiding that situation but really you never know what will happen.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
You mean that nonsense that seems to imply that abortion isn't just another potential consequence? So silly how people talk about 'the consequences' as if they're some bizarre natural linkage when there are other options to it that make just as much sense as consequences. Sole consequence: pregnancy. How that is dealt with it automatically birth.
Naturally. There's no such thing as avoiding the consequences, there's only acting in a way I don't like. This applies to everything. If you can avoid it, it isn't a consequence.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Being a gay male, I would be very confused.

That aside, I would get an abortion. I'm too young to be able to support a child without completely ruining my life.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I would be bloody confused (guy)

But, if my future GF would get preggers, (right now) I would prefer abortion. Despite my own opinions, I know I'm not mature enough to handle a baby

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
First thing I'd do is spend some money trying to figure out the precise details of how a male got pregnant. Then I'd probably abort the baby because I A) couldn't afford it and B) don't want it. I'm not parent material, I'm barely able to keep up with the responsibility of taking care of myself. Adding a child into the mix would not end well. I know myself well enough to know what a bad idea it is, and I don't see anything inherently wrong with relatively early abortions, so that's likely the route I would advocate.

There would of course be another opinion to take into account, and that could change the final decision dramatically, but since I'm single at the moment, I don't know what they would think of the issue.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Let's just pretend I'm a woman for now. I can either have it aborted, or I can just sacrifice 9 months of my for that baby's entire LIFE. You can always have it adopted after that.
Doesn't that sound simple enough?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Deathmageddon said:
Startling number of people said abortion... so here are some things I would like to point out.

-By week 8 of an unborn child's life, every organ is present and has begun to form. By week 12, they respond to physical stimulation and can, therefore, feel pain.
So?
So can a squirrel.
A squirrel is a more advanced lifeform at that point.
People don't really care about squirrels getting mowed over by cars like every minute of every day, so I'm not going to care about a human who hasn't even surpassed a squirrel yet unless I'm genuinely willing and able to care for it.
I'd not choose a hard life for my lady and I just for some sub-squirrel-level creature that accidentally came into being.

You shouldn't raise a child because "that's the consequence of having sex and you should accept that". No. That's stupid and cruel. A child should never be seen as a consequence. They should not be an unwanted burden. The raising of a child should be a burden accepted willingly, happily, and lovingly.....or rejected outright.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Reading this thread is amazing. A lot of people don't realize how much you change after having a child, If you are truly worried enough about the child's well being that you don't think you have the maturity to raise it, you'll surprise yourself at how much you grow up when you have one. If you liken a child to a parasite, then maybe you should hold off...

OT: If my woman got pregnant...we give high fivez! If I was younger, It would be impossible to have a kid since I practiced abstinence. Also surprised by the 50% abortion choice. I can't honestly say I'm 100% pro-choice, because the physical and mental trauma induced by an abortion is incredibly hard on the body. My political leanings are generally leftist, but I just don't think abortion is a valid option for someone who gets pregnant. As far as the mother is concerned, there is a much greater chance of sterility, depression, and other complications if she decides to get an abortion. Also, how can we say with certainty what that child's future holds? I've seen the most amazing people come from the most broken of homes.

Just my personal opinion, and I won't force it on anyone; I'm not the self-righteous type. I just think moms are the most amazing kind of human being, which is why it shocks us so much when a mother commits an act of cruelty toward a child.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
(I'm a man) I would rent Junior (1994) and see how Arnold Schwarzenegger dealt with it to be honest.

If I were the man who got someone pregnant, as a guy who has 0 experience in that situation, I would leave it upto the soon-to-be mom. If she wants to keep it, then if she's not a total a-hole then I'm probably getting married, if she is an a-hole then I suppose child support.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Newby_Newb said:
AmayaOnnaOtaku said:
Keep the child, I had sex knowing full well the consequences, and I am adult enough to accept them
Best reply in the whole thread.

[img/]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly9fswWJwX1qfaknl.gif[/img]
Such bullshit. If you don't want a child, that does not mean you should not have sex; that is what birth control exists for. If you are using birth control and it happens to be the 0,1% case where it does not work, it does not mean you should keep the thing.

Now if you don't want a kid but are not using any protection, that's just stupid.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Wow, there have been some interesting replies. Treading on the edge of flame territory, but I spose it's a controversial topic so that's bound to happen!

Regarding abortion, I think it's interesting to consider that lots of animals can self-induce abortions when conditions are unfavourable. I know most people here (with our video games and internet connections and computers) probably wont feel the effects of a drought or whatever, but abortion isn't this unnatural thing. It's a part of survival. If bunnies and armadillos can decide when it's not right to have babies, I think humans should be able to as well.

(And yes humans are on a bit of a different level with morals and whatnot but it's all relative)

Also, people have been having abortions for thousands of years, way back into the prehistoric period, so the idea that its just modern people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions is wrong. It's in human nature to want to have sex but not to have babies, and practices have been in place probably since the dawn of medicine.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
I chose abortion simply because I have a pre-existing condition that would make full term pregnancy very difficult, if not fatal.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
As a guy I would have to say right now I am in no position to give a kid the attention and care it needs. I would like my girlfriend to focus on her university education and career opportunities just like I am right now. Falcon Punch seems logical at this point.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Doesn't matter, had sex.

But who am I to talk, when I got pregnant it's because we were trying. We'd used protection on those other times. Still, this hard line anti-abortion stuff is kind of hard to swallow. It seems like a lot of women's rights and opinions are not being proportionately valued in the discussion as a whole; I had an 'at-risk' pregnancy and my husband and I sat down with the doctor and we all had a long and informed talk about whether or not we should have an abortion: what would be the risks to me, the babies (twins they were) the whole she-bang-a-bang.