Poll: You're pregnant. What do you do?

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
So after the interesting 'abortions are against women's rights' post a little while ago, it got me thinking, what would I do if I got pregnant?
So calling the ladies of The Escapist forums (I know we are relatively few and far between): what would your ultimate response be? I know this is a pretty serious topic, and this is in NO WAY intended to be a thread for making judgments on people's beliefs, decisions or choice to have sex. I'm really just interested to see what peoples decisions would be and why.

As for me? I'm still not sure. I'm in a long term and very stable relationship and we're both from supportive middle-class backgrounds. However, I'm a third year at uni, looking to do a masters with no immediate job prospects or savings. I'm not religious and I think at this point in my life my parents would probably encourage me to have an abortion, and that would be my first logical thought, as I know that neither of us are ready or willing to have a child yet. However, the thought of getting rid of the child of the person I want to spend the rest of my life with is... well, pretty horrible. For the same reason I don't think I could go through with adoption.

So what are your thoughts? Boys are very welcome to chip in too - after all, you're involved too!

EDIT: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we stop with the pointless 'I'm a man, I can't be pregnant LOL!' comments. Getting old, guys. You will note, I did actually address this to ladies, with the expectation that men were capable of saying something constructive.

Commonly Confused

Jan 30, 2012
I would consider it extremely irresponsible of me to carry the child to term. As it is, my boyfriend and I take all necessary precautions (barring complete abstinence), so it is not like we would be trying to get pregnant. We have already discussed the possibility.

At the same time, I know that neither of us are prepared financially or emotionally to carry that kind of responsibility. Adoption would be an option if I did not see so many children who are still stuck in adoption centers and going unwanted for years.

Abortion, although it would be a difficult decision for both of us, would be the best option.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well, the chance of that happening is almost zero, but let's run with it.

Abortion without question really. I really do not want to have children now or any time soon. Maybe when I'm 35 or something.

Jan 27, 2011
If I'M pregnant, I will scream and demand to know what manner of alien has inserted its seed into me (I'm a guy).

If my GF is pregnant...I will be demanding to know who or what caused that (we haven't had sex yet, so it CAN'T be me)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
My response would hinge on the context of the situation. How old am I? How financially secure am I? How much is the father willing to pitch in? Do I feel we're in a stable enough relationship to have a baby? All of these things are very important.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Personally I would reccomend abortion.

As someone who is adopted myself, I watch the state of Adoption, and unfortunately the chances of being adopted nowadays are few and far between! Last year only 60 kids were adopted in the UK which means most grow up in foster homes! That is not a good life!

Abortion is a lot more fair to the little chap/chappette!

(Oh, and actually entertaining the thought of bringing it up, it far beyond me! Not ready for that shit yet, my job is too important!)

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Lilani said:
My response would hinge on the context of the situation. How old am I? How financially secure am I? How much is the father willing to pitch in? Do I feel we're in a stable enough relationship to have a baby? All of these things are very important.
Good point - I spose I mean, right at this moment in time. For those in a relationship or partial to casual hookups right now the situation is a realistic one. For those not, you'll have to be imaginative or just use your gut instinct, or give multiple answers based on different scenarios.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
aegix drakan said:
If I'M pregnant, I will scream and demand to know what manner of alien has inserted its seed into me (I'm a guy).

If my GF is pregnant...I will be demanding to know who or what caused that (we haven't had sex yet, so it CAN'T be me)
This to the letter :p

And I might try to get onto some reality show for being the first ever case of wind-pollinated man-pregnant... Followed by C-Section because I do NOT want to know how that thing is getting out >.<

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Well I'm a man but if I were a girl I wouldn't keep it, I'm not even done with high school.
And if i got a girl pregnant I would probably suggest either an abortion or giving the baby to adoption if she couldn't do that, I have goals in life and a child would make it very hard to accomplish them, plus I haven't came out of poverty yet so there's no way I could afford it.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
usmarine4160 said:
*Edit: Poll needs "Coat Hanger" option ;)
Tasteless post is tasteless. Besides, that comes under the abortion banner anyway.

Similar to a few other dudes here, I would be pretty upset because my girlfriend and I haven't had sex, but assuming I got her pregnant I'd encourage her to get an abortion, and I'm reasonably confident that would be her decision.
I know she could handle having kids (and some of her friends do have kids), but it's not something she wants right now, and honestly I don't think she's as ready as she thinks, though she knows that financially she's in no position to have kids. Personally, I know I'm not ready emotionally or financially.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
If a girl isn't ready for a baby, she should take birth control pills or insist that her partner wraps it up.

If she doesn't, well, she deserves all the emotional side effects that come with aborting a baby or all the financial side effects of letting it live.

She could give it up for adoption, sure, but her body will never be the same. Either way, she's going to have some form of pain for not taking the necessary precautions.

If a girl decides to let the baby live and keep it, she better do her best to raise the baby right. There are far too many people with parental issues in the world. Don't need more. This becomes even harder without a strong father figure.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
If I were to get pregnant at this present moment in time I'd get rid of it.
I'm 20 and in a stable relationship but I'm nowhere near ready to give up all of my plans to raise a child. Maybe in another ten years or so.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, if I somehow had sex with a girl and she got pregnant, I'd go for adoption. As I know it, most girls aren't comfortable with abortion, hell, I'm not really sure if I am, despite being pro choice (the operative word being "choice"), but there's no way I'd ever make an even half decent father. In that situation, I'd see it as more responsible to give the child away-this way the kid'll hopefully find a home with half decent parents.

Yeah, he/she would probably track me down at some point, then I'd just explain. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to see I ain't good dad material.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
GigaHz said:
Either way, she's going to have some form of pain for not taking the necessary precautions.
You can still get pregnant even with the necessary precautions. Yes the chance is lessened but it's still a possibility.
I'm going to guess you're a guy... the lack of sympathy with which you speak smacks of never even imagining of having to deal with the stress of getting a morning after pill or a pregnancy test.

However, you're points are not invalid, if a little harsh and blinkered.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Crenelate said:
You can still get pregnant even with the necessary precautions. Yes the chance is lessened but it's still a possibility.
I'm going to guess you're a guy... the lack of sympathy with which you speak smacks of never even imagining of having to deal with the stress of getting a morning after pill or a pregnancy test.

However, you're points are not invalid, if a little harsh and blinkered.
The chances are very small, but there are people who don't even take A precaution.

I had a pregnancy scare before after a condom broke. It was made worse when my girlfriend at the time confessed that she LIED about taking pills that day.

I've felt the anxiety, I've felt the fear of bringing a child into the world when you're not prepared. That said, it takes two.

I'm not going to pay for someone else's mistake if I at least tried to prevent it, while they did nothing.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
honestly, I don't know.... I'm in a stable relationship, I'm (almost) financially stable.... but I just don't see it yet, but I think I would have a hard time with abortion (I had a miscarriage at 16, was going to probably give it up anyway but still...) *shrugs* sorry that I don't have a definitive answer =/

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
*marks the "I don't know" category*

I don't think me or any of the three ladies I'd consider having kids with are actually in the position to HAVE kids, mostly from a financial perspective.
Basically, it'd be completely up to her. In a practical sense, I'd think it'd be a terrible idea to keep a baby we're not ready to provide for (though I'm pretty sure my family would happily support us til we were able). In an emotional sense, I'd kinda hate to give up a child of ours and I'd be all in if she were to keep it.

So....yea....up to her.

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
It's not a pleasant decision for anyone to have to make. Especially a guy. He's just been told he's pregnant and now he has the option of abortion.

As for me, the very idea of me having the slimmest chance of making a woman pregnant is absolutely hilarious. But should I ever happen to meet a woman blind, deaf and dumb enough to want to be near me for those 30 seconds of pleasure, then I would suggest an abortion. I don't want a child and it would be unfair for it to have to live knowing that. At the same time, I find adoption a painful subject as it's just giving birth to your child then walking away from it. So, before you get attached to it, before it becomes a human, I say get rid of it humanely.