Poll: You're pregnant. What do you do?

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
marfin_ said:
Personally I would reccomend abortion.

As someone who is adopted myself, I watch the state of Adoption, and unfortunately the chances of being adopted nowadays are few and far between! Last year only 60 kids were adopted in the UK which means most grow up in foster homes! That is not a good life!

Abortion is a lot more fair to the little chap/chappette!

(Oh, and actually entertaining the thought of bringing it up, it far beyond me! Not ready for that shit yet, my job is too important!)
It's better to kill them off then give them a chance at actually becoming something? Surely your not saying that 100% of all kids that grow up in a foster home have a bad life and grow up to become non beneficial members of society?
No... Not 100%... The world rarely works in definates. But definately a high percentage do...

And I am not of the beleif that killing something without conciousness is killing at all, so unfortunately what ever further comback you have will not sway me what so ever... seriously, abortion to me, in the early stages, is no worse than picking a flower...

Saying that, i'd rather there was more education, and that people didn't get to the position where they have to consider such options, I am just of the persuasion that the option of abortion should be availiable.
Sorry you felt offended by my response, I do not think this is the appropriate forum to throw comebacks at each other. I'm just saying that the little tiny speck of life is still human. You can pick as many flowers as you want, but none of them will ever be human. If you let the little speck continue it's grow (assuming there are no complications) it will be human.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
omega 616 said:
You do have the ability to walk away from the situation, abortion is your way to walk away
Very easy thing to say for someone who has fuck-all chance of having to make that decision!!

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Abortion. Why? I'm pro-choice and currently only 17. If I have a kid, the only way I could support it and a family in my current position is if I moved up from the reserves and into the regular forces.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
marfin_ said:
Sorry you felt offended by my response, I do not think this is the appropriate forum to throw comebacks at each other. I'm just saying that the little tiny speck of life is still human. You can pick as many flowers as you want, but none of them will ever be human. If you let the little speck continue it's grow (assuming there are no complications) it will be human.
Apologies, I think my post reads worse than it was meant too! :S I have to use an inexplicable amount of smileys usually to convey what context I am speaking in, due to the fact that without my accent and facial expressions, for some reason, my speach reads very angrily... it's pretty much a phenomonon.

Any way, I was kinda trying to preempt that we were going to not see eye to eye on this... and unfortunately I have been in very similar discussions IRL, that have ended in pretty much the same way. :S It's a hevily perception based arguement, that appears to have roots deep in the brain, and I am not sure what it is that makes our perceptions differ, but they just kinda do... it's weird but some people see a foetus as a living person, where as some see it as a pre-person... nothing more than the egg and sperm it evolved from, and as I am one of those I don't see it as anything more, until it has reached the stage of consiousness. :/

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Im a guy but if I were to get a woman pregnant my input would have to be adoption or keeping it, depending on her choice between the two.

I can't stand the thought of abortion and that people do it every day; that little tiny cluster of cells has the potential to be a living, breathing, thinking human being just like me or you and I feel sick at the thought of taking that away without even giving it a chance.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
The argument I see on most of this is that they hate kids or simply do not want them. It's kind of hard to look at it so black and white.

I don't like kids, well, other people's kids, they are bratty and kind of sticky in a bad way... but my niece and nephew, they are amazing. I love them to absolute bits and do pretty much anything for them. This is because I'm close to my sister (their mother) and I enjoy trying to get them interested in new hobbies and teaching them about the world.

I'm just saying that just because you hate kids, that might be the case if you got knocked up or found a kid on your porch. It's kind of like animals, most people's dogs are yappy and ignorant but my Jinx is the best thing since sliced bread to me.

Though, I'm not trying to down anyone for making a choice that is right for them, regardless of the situation. (Although, it does suck a bit when you realize ladies who have stable homes and kids already get abortions)

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
As a male, if I were pregnant, I'd be prepared to make millions off public appearances for defying nature!
However if we were referring to my GF, then it would be her decision. I would be fine with whatever she chose.
This....Well, except for the GF part. I'm a lone wolf, see?

*sniff*

Lord Merik

May 17, 2011
what is wrong is adoption? Why opt to kill the kid when you can send it somewhere where it will be loved?

Evirae

Feb 27, 2012
Were I to get pregnant, I would terminate the pregnancy immediately. I am in a position and a relationship where my partner and I could feasibly support a child financially, but neither one of us wants children. This was all spoken about at length before any intimate contact was initiated, and precautions are taken consistently to reflect our choice. I truly hope I never have to go that route, but if I were to hit the 0,1% chance and get pregnant, I'd make the decision to abort.

Adoption would not be in the cards for two reasons-- those being that 1) there are already enough children up for adoption and 2) the physical, emotional, and financial expenses of carrying a fetus to term far exceed those of terminating the pregnancy.

Now if, hypothetically, I was in the position where my partner wanted the child and I did not, I would have to carefully consider my options. Were I to carry the fetus to term, he would have to legally document (prior to expiration of the permissible time window for aborting it) that not only would he accept sole custody of the child immediately after its birth as I would want no involvement whatsoever with, it but also that he would accept all associated medical expenses entailed in bringing it to term and birthing it.

However, that wouldn't cover the physical/emotional trauma associated with childbirth, and so I would still lean towards aborting it. I do everything to avoid ever having to come to that type of decision.

On that same vein, were I to for some reason want to keep the fetus but my partner did not want to be involved whatsoever in its life, I would accept him being able to request (prior to expiration of the permissible time window for aborting it) that I legally document my acceptance to raise it as a single parent and not require him to help pay medical expenses and 18 years of child support for a being that to him is unwanted.

I'm all for pro-choice, and as a rational human being I can't understand how some people can actually say, "Accept your responsibility and raise it." Pregnancy is a consequence-- how you deal with it is your choice, as well it should be.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Probably...abortion, because at this point if I got pregnant it would be from a one night stand, and I'm scraping through college on scholarships.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I'd hope scientists had discovered a way for men to survive having a baby shoved out of their man-parts.

If a girl told me she was pregnant, I'd call the cops, because I'm a celibate virgin and if a girl thinks i got her pregnant she's psycho.

If some alternate universe scenario occured where I got a girl pregnant despite my utterly ironclad whatever-it-is against sex, I'd help her get through it as best I can and give the baby up for adoption if she didn't want it but I would be adamantly against abortion. Sorry, I'm pro-life.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
rookie.of.the.year said:
Silvianoshei said:
OT: If my woman got pregnant...we give high fivez! If I was younger, It would be impossible to have a kid since I practiced abstinence. Also surprised by the 50% abortion choice. I can't honestly say I'm 100% pro-choice, because the physical and mental trauma induced by an abortion is incredibly hard on the body. My political leanings are generally leftist, but I just don't think abortion is a valid option for someone who gets pregnant. As far as the mother is concerned, there is a much greater chance of sterility, depression, and other complications if she decides to get an abortion. Also, how can we say with certainty what that child's future holds? I've seen the most amazing people come from the most broken of homes.
You're male, you are speaking of something you will never experience. You can't comment on the 'physical and mental trauma' that a woman goes through, and how can you say that that is greater than the physical and mental trauma that a woman would under go if she were to have a child?

How can you say there's a greater chance of complication and depression? There are plenty more hazards that come with forcing a baby out.

I don't want to have a massive rant, maybe I just got out the wrong side of the bed. But I don't think you should be talking about the emotional implications of abortion, when you have no idea how it feels.

No, I don't know how it feels either, but I sure as hell know I would be a lot more traumatised and depressed if I was stuck with a baby.

And I do have a friend who has gone through with it, and it was completely the right choice for her. She's not depressed or sunken into a black hole of regret, yes she was upset, but it hasn't detrimentally affected her.
How do I know? I'm a doctor. A Pediatric Oncologist to be precise, but I've delivered my fair share of babies. Also, I'm currently getting my PH.D. in epidemiology, specifically Cancer and Maternal/Child Health. I am not basing my assessment, like you are, on "one person I know." I am not even basing it on my patients, because I still consider that sample size to be too small to power a study with any chance at statistical significance. I am basing my statement on meta-analyses done with data from the last two decades, adjusted for potential recall bias. I based my opinion on solid epidemiology, and nothing else. I do have other reasons, but as far as the public sphere goes, any other reason for my opinion is irrelevant; Like I said, I'm not the self-righteous type.

In response, you in fact have no idea how exactly you would feel if you were stuck with a baby. I've interviewed some women who wanted a baby very badly and were horrified after the fact at the prospect of raising one, and others who wanted an abortion very badly and were relieved later on that they didn't get one. You may know yourself very well, but women before they get pregnant, during, and post-partum are in very different biological states, with their risk factors varying in a medically significant manner. I may not know personally what it feels like to have a baby, but that doesn't mean that we can just discard all the work and money that has gone into studying this and say, "Abortions are just fine, and they should be given to anyone who asks for one!" People need to understand the risks they're taking with their own bodies. I can't tell people to practice abstinence, so I just do my best to take care of their health. It varies greatly on an individual basis, as I have been stressing, but generally if that baby isn't going to kill you, I say you're probably better off just having it.

Please don't flame me with your half-baked pseudo-scientific nonsense, I am not making any statements other than a scientific one.

marfin_

Mar 14, 2011
marfin_ said:
Apologies, I think my post reads worse than it was meant too! :S I have to use an inexplicable amount of smileys usually to convey what context I am speaking in, due to the fact that without my accent and facial expressions, for some reason, my speach reads very angrily... it's pretty much a phenomonon.

Any way, I was kinda trying to preempt that we were going to not see eye to eye on this... and unfortunately I have been in very similar discussions IRL, that have ended in pretty much the same way. :S It's a hevily perception based arguement, that appears to have roots deep in the brain, and I am not sure what it is that makes our perceptions differ, but they just kinda do... it's weird but some people see a foetus as a living person, where as some see it as a pre-person... nothing more than the egg and sperm it evolved from, and as I am one of those I don't see it as anything more, until it has reached the stage of consiousness. :/
Well forgive my preconceived notions, I was preparing to enter a heated debate with you; I'm glad that you are of the level headed type! Anyways, if you say that you are unable to be convinced otherwise, then I declare this debate futile and shall bid you farewell. Have a good day.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
marfin_ said:
Well forgive my preconceived notions, I was preparing to enter a heated debate with you; I'm glad that you are of the level headed type! Anyways, if you say that you are unable to be convinced otherwise, then I declare this debate futile and shall bid you farewell. Have a good day.
Haha! That was what I picked up the notions of the first time, and tried to avoid it! :p But of course only ended up digging further! As I said, I have had the arguement before, and it is one, like politics, that never ends well, and only strengthens each others beleifs, not change them! :p

May you days be long, and you nights pleasant also, good sir!

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
I'd abort the shit out of that child, and ask for my fetus in a jar so I can look at it when I'm feeling down and remind myself that I am a god and decided the fate of a pitiful little amalgamation of cells that I didn't even let develop a consciousness.

Bam.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Silvianoshei said:
Generally if that baby isn't going to kill you, I say you're probably better off just having it.

Please don't flame me with your half-baked pseudo-scientific nonsense, I am not making any statements other than a scientific one.
I'll start off with saying that I consider anyone in pediatric oncology pretty much a saint. And despite the "we're all black belts in martial arts on the internet", I completely believe that you're a pre-doc student in epidemiology.

Given that, I wonder at the above statement. Just googling up the CDC statistics, in 2000 (latest year I found) there were 857,000 or so reported legal abortions, with 11 deaths from complications, or roughly 1.3/100000 My google-fu failed me on maternal mortality rates for that year, but in the 2007, it was 12.7 per 100,000 births.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5309a1.htm
http://www.hrsa.gov/ourstories/mchb75th/mchb75maternalmortality.pdf

While statistics can lie, seriously, I do think a tenfold greater mortality rate for childbirth versus abortion makes it hard to defend the notion that abortion is more dangerous for a pregnant woman, at least physically.

If we're talking about psychological effects, again, I'm wondering what studies you're referring to. In late 2011 the National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health (UK data here) looked at 44 studies on the subject and found that while women who have unplanned pregnancies were more likely to experience mental health issues, whether or not they had an abortion didn't affect that rate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16094906

Again, statistics are statistics, and each number in a study is a person-- fwiw, an oncologist once told my wife and I that on one of the worst days of our lives. And there's a vast number of biased studies on both sides of the abortion debate, so perhaps it's best to look at all of them with suspicion. Objectivity is an ideal, not a reality, after all. That said, I think sytematic reviews of the literature by various government health agencies is about as good as it gets, and those don't support the notion of "in in doubt, carry to term"-- unless we bring religious/philisophical objections into play.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Voted other, due to it being situational.

It would entirely depend on my circumstances. If I were in a position where I could accommodate a child in my life, and it were something that I had on some level accepted the possibility of (i.e. in a relationship, reasonably stable, my SO gets me knocked up) I'd consider keeping it. There would be some discussion, obviously, as he's involved too.

If I weren't in a position to accommodate a child in my life (i.e. can't afford the change in lifestyle), or it were the result of something I had not on any level accepted the possibility of resulting in pregnancy (i.e. was a total mistake, result of rape, etc), then I would not keep the child. I would abort, ideally early. Likewise, I'd abort if I was able to determine that there would be developmental issues that would significantly impact the child's quality of life were it to come to term. Again in that case, knowing earlier is far better than later.

There are only rare situations where I would consider carrying a child completely to term and then giving them up for adoption.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
As a guy, if by some miraculous event I got a girl pregnant (currently have no romantic interest in either gender) I would respect her decision. If she wanted to keep the child I would do my best to support her. If she was someone I liked and respected me then I would stay with her. If for whatever reason we could not get along at all then I would provide her with financial support, try and stay in the child's life, and if the situation demanded it take care of the child on my own. Well maybe not entirely on my own, my family would insist on helping out.