Poll: Zac Efron as Light in 2011 Death Note Film!?

Poketom

Apr 14, 2009
I just found out that there is going to be a Hollywood adaptation of the popular anime death note and if that wasn't bad enough Zac Efron is rumoured to be playing Light.

Personally I think this film is a disaster waiting to happen, well from a fan of the anime's point of view but from the film makers standpoint it's bound to make millions.

I'm not just saying this because it's Zac Efron either I just really can't see him playing the part well. Also as far as I can see it's also being worked on by a producer of The Ring (English/American Ver.) and the Mortal Kombat Film. Which IMO were both terrible films.

Source - Google It There's Loads...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.152799 - Script Synopsis thanks to Julianking93

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Isn't any (I'm assuming) live-action movie based on an anime a disaster waiting to happen?

For some reason I have a feeling this is going to be attempted to be passed of as more of a Twilight knockoff.

Just Pman

Oct 18, 2009
Because this is who you think of when you think of Light. And Christopher Walken is so L.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
People said the same thing about Jesse McCartney being the voice of Roxas. It turns out he was great.

Don't let you fanboy-blinders cause judgement before you even see it.

When they do make the movie and he is good, you'll feel like an idiot.
If it turns out he was bad, then we'll all have a good laugh.

[edit]

Your poll should also have more options than just the two extremes.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Zac Efron is actually a decent actor. Don't put the man down just because he got his start in High School Musical.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
He does sort of look like Light...
But I personally think that Death Note should remain as a manga. Wasn't too keen on the anime.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
While I don't look down on Zac Efron, I seriously doubt that he could pull off playing an absurdly brilliant teenager with a god complex.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I'd love to see if he'd pull off his laugh XD

It would be interesting, actually. We only know him for HSM and 17 Again, so who knows if he'd be any good in a serious role.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Isn't the whole "Zac Efron is Light" thing kind of a meme amongst Death Note fans? This rumor is more than likely just that; a rumor.

I mean, let's consider the facts here. Zac Efron works for the Disney Corporation. You really think they'd let him out of his contract to go do a movie like Death Note? No, it's not as extreme as some other manga/anime out there, but compared to High School Musical, it's practically a snuff film.

Allowing one of their biggest stars to act in something like that would be a move that could only end in bad PR for Disney from the mothers of tweenage girls who went to see the Death Note movie "starring HSM's Zac Efron!" and came out of the theater scarred for life.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Poketom said:
I just found out that there is going to be a Hollywood adaptation of the popular anime death note and if that wasn't bad enough Zac Efron is rumoured to be playing Light.

Personally I think this film is a disaster waiting to happen, well from a fan of the anime's point of view but from the film makers standpoint it's bound to make millions.

I'm not just saying this because it's Zac Efron either I just really can't see him playing the part well. Also as far as I can see it's also being worked on by a producer of The Ring (English/American Ver.) and the Mortal Kombat Film. Which IMO were both terrible films.

Source - Google It There's Loads...
I made a thread about this about a month ago. I had a quick synopsis of the confirmed script. It was absolute shit. They change Light's name to Luke and L never suspects Light (or Luke, sorry) of every being Kira.

Though, I should have seen Zac Efron being cast as him. As much as I despise the piece of shit, Light and Zac look pretty similar, though looks don't mean he's good for the part. Hollywood seems to have forgotten that you need to be able to, y'know, act in a movie. I doubt that dipshit can pull of the smartest kid in Japan with an outrageous ego.

I can only hope they cast someone as great as Zac Efron as L.

Here's a link to my thread which has the script synopsis, if you want it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.152799

Mr.logic

Nov 18, 2009
i dont know what to pick,

on one hand the movie will almost certainly suck and i can laugh at it even more if hes light.

on the other hand death note is my second favorite anime show and i want it to rock so i want a good actor and effron hasn't proved his mettle yet.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
He'd make a good Light Yagami... In terms of appearance. I'm not sure he has the acting range to pull off such a complex character.