Poll: Zac Efron as Light in 2011 Death Note Film!?

joschen

Jun 15, 2009
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... *ghasps for air* ... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
thetrixxxter said:
Seriously this has the American version of Godzilla written all over it
Meh, the American version of Godzilla wasn't that bad.

Yes, they butchered the story and origins of him and gave him a completely new design, but the movie alone isn't bad if you ignore those things.
It's certainly just as cheesy as the original Godzilla movies (which I adore and collect), just with better graphics and a completely different backstory. Besides, they got the main point of Godzilla across; Giant monster levels a major city.

However, Death Note and other Animes/Mangas have such a specific storyline that messing with it or its characters is basically blasphemy.

lenneth

Aug 17, 2008
Dark knifer said:
I just had a terrible though that someone like him in this movie could very well make this the next twilight... Oh death note... why? WHY!
That would be a Dam good thing, what do we want teenage girls carrying round books of? Twilight or Death-note Manga?...and at my school Death note nearly was Twilight before Twilight was Twilight

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
lenneth said:
Dark knifer said:
I just had a terrible though that someone like him in this movie could very well make this the next twilight... Oh death note... why? WHY!
That would be a Dam good thing, what do we want teenage girls carrying round books of? Twilight or Death-note Manga?...and at my school Death note nearly was Twilight before Twilight was Twilight
hmmm... Interesting point. It would be a step up. Just as long hollywood doesn't mess with the characters or story it may be alright.

Jack_the_Ripper

Dec 25, 2008
He will forever be burned for that... It's just a gig he did. The guy is a nerd, so wouldn't he actually be a good pick for it? He's been into anime and comics for a long time. He was actually proactive in talks about trying to do a Full Metal Panic! movie. I would rather see him in that then a Death Note movie, personally. Either way, ever since I heard that, I would love to see him get in on those types of movies, in general. I'd be an avid supporter probably. Lol

Durxom

May 12, 2009
To whoever said Johnny Deep for Ryuk...why? They already got a good VA for the japanese live-action one....freaking Vegeta!!

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Idunno, I'm gonna wait until I see that Orson Welles movie he's in before passing judgement on his acting credibility... not that it could possibly change the fact that american live-action adaptations of anime almost always suck or aren't good enough.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
The fact that someone other than my roommate even had this heretical thought enter their mind has lowered my faith in humanity even more. And it was already pretty dang low.

I try to stay positive about movie adaptations, but I'm pretty dang sure this one will suck. American adaptations of anime is never a good idea in the first place, and if what I've heard about the script is true... just...

*facepalm*

Poketom

Apr 14, 2009
Anyone else noticed that all future anime Hollywood adaptations mentioned on this thread,Death Note, Akira, Cowboy Bebob are all coming out in 2011? =/

mindclockwork

Jul 17, 2008
why it would need to be even redone? i mean it has already been made as anime and even series. it's way too complicated to try to squeeze into (one) movie.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
First, they shouldn't make a live action film.
second, why do they have to choose him?
third, can't they just shoot him?
as far as I can see, the ending would be the only good bit. (Makes sense if you've watched the anime. I've only read the first manga book, so I don't know how the manga goes.)

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Mr.logic said:
technoted said:
fix-the-spade said:
technoted said:
great, first Akira, now this...
Live action Akira?

IMDB link or it didn't happen!
Please be joking Please be joking Please be joking Please be joking Please be joking Please be joking
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134795/

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/102/1021972p1.html
have faith it has childer of men and iron mans director(s)behind it.
it's still a live action Akira, it will be shockingly bad

Chess__x

Aug 4, 2009
My issue isn't with Zac Efron being Light so much, it's more just with them making it at all. They'll slaughter it, fan girls will love it and it could potentially be the next Twilight. Except for the difference of it actually being good in the first place. The whole idea of them doing it just makes me sad. Zac Efron certainly looks like he should play Light and he's not a bad actor, my only issue with him being in it is the audience he'll draw to see the film.

Also, I can't see them making the shinigamis look as incredible as they did in the Japanese live version. AND the fact they're Americanising it is just disgusting. It's just sad that they clearly don't see what a creative, clever and wonderful piece of anime Death Note was. If they did they wouldn't be doing this to it.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
IcemanFreeze said:
To whoever said Johnny Deep for Ryuk...why? They already got a good VA for the japanese live-action one....freaking Vegeta!!

Isn't that the same guy who did the voice for Ryuk in the anime? Oh, and I already questioned the guy who said Johnny Depp for Ryuk.

lenneth said:
Dark knifer said:
Think about it though, if Death Note were to become a live action movie that would presumably be extremely dumbed down for American audiences, then only the movie would become the next Twilight and the holiness of the manga would stay untainted by the hands of preteen Twilight fangirls who most likely wouldn't get the manga anyway.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
The anime itself was a poor adaption, I have more faith in a complete revision of the series than anything from Japan at this point. I certainly have a lot more faith in the average American's taste than anyone who enjoyed the entirety of episode 25.

And complaining about Twighlight fangirls, while celebrating what might contain the most gratuitous homoerotic scene ever? We're not on a much higher level here.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Okay, when you're all finished jumping on the "We hate Zack Effron" bandwagon, I'd like you to stop for a second and think. Why do you hate him? You hate because lots of other people do.
Grow up.

Once you realize that you can have an opinion of your own, you'll probably notice that he's not actually that bad an actor. Plus, he looks the part of Light.

Though, I still think that maybe one of the Sprouse twins would look better in the role (the thin one, not the fat one).

seious

Aug 19, 2009
ZAC EFRON CAN SUCK A BIG FAT HAIRY DICK AND HE PROABLY DID TO GET THE JOB THAT PRICK

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
This won't affect me because I despise anime but I sympathise with those who do enjoy it for what would happen to this apparently famous anime film/comic or whatever if Efron gets a lead role.