Poll: Zero Punctuation: Striking the balance between information and entertainment

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I find ZP both entertaining and informative. I've got nothing against Yahtzee. He's the reason I'm here and the only reason I'm staying, frankly, now that Lisa is gone :/
Damn it, why'd you have to go and remind me about Lisa? Now I'm going to have to binge watch all her videos...and cry that she's not making any more...

KEVIN! I MISS YOU!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mostly entertainment. I like Yahtzee, before anyone gets any ideas. I just don't find Zero Punctuation to count as informative enough to be useful most of the time. And it's not because he's bad at his, but more because it's clearly intended to be (at best) infotainment. A 3-5 minute "review" complete with jokes is not going to be the best review or criticism around.

Of course, I like when he also applies information, or when we get other sources of info/criticism (like EP), as well.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Entirely entertainment. I rarely take reviews into account about such a subjective thing as games, but especially Yahtzee whose humor is based on slamming any game as hard as he can.
He might occasionally make good points about games but he will be completely bias towards any game for humor's sake. Which is a good thing for zero punctuation.

With that said, I actually haven't watched him in a while. Too much exposure to that sort of humor has me taking a break I guess.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Entertainment, I very much like Yahtzee's style of review and comedy but I disagree with a lot of his opinions almost as much as I enjoy the way they are presented. (The exact opposite is generally true of how I feel about Jim Sterling)
even with extra punctuation he is very good at pointing out flaws and has some good views on storytelling but I treat Yahtzee as more of a good comedy character and I hope that Ben Chroshaw is a lot less of a misanthropic, pedant mainly just because I would feel too bad for the guy.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Both, but more for entertainment, since I always have to do my own research to make sure.

I wait for him to bring up key words that could really make me very interested in a game. And then there are those times when he brings up things I fucking hate in a game, and I really have to see to what extent.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Entertainment almost exclusively, I mean, I follow his youtube channel and I would say that our ACTUAL opinions on gaming align like 35% of the time at best, but he does have some pretty funny stuff in his videos.

I will say that his most recent stuff (most of this year and the tail end of last year) has been rather lacking in comparison to his earlier days, especially when he didn't JUST try to be comically angry about videogames, the Bioshock 2 review was enjoyable (even though I enjoyed the game), his review of GTA V, the next gen showdown and pretty much next gen reviews overall are just completely unbearable.

Honestly though I think that his "review" content got less interesting when his online persona became more of a hyper popular caricature of itself.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Both. It's highly entertaining to watch. He's also never steered me onto a bad game. If he recommends something, I've always enjoyed it.

His reviews of games I've played before I've seen his review almost always line up with my opinion of the game. In my case, he's highly accurate. If he gives a game a thumbs up and I don't own it. I'll go out and get it because so far it has always found me a great game.

I don't always come to the same conclusion if he gives a bad review. I happen to like Zelda games for example. But that's just the conclusion... sorry fanboys, but his criticisms (no matter how nitpicky) are very valid.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Ronald Nand said:
A better show that balances information and entertainment is the Angry Joe Show, his reviews are nice and long and combine some funny stuff with a lot of good information.
I'd say Yahtzee almost always makes more intelligent, and succinct, critical observations in the space of a few minutes compared to Joe's overlong rambling.

I picked both equally; every source of feedback is just another perspective which adds to a better potential picture of a game, and Yahtzee's always informative, and I find him entertaining.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
Critical Opinionated Review. He's one of the only popular reviewers who makes actual reviews--he's not trying to act as a buyer's guide, he's relating his experience with the game and looking at how it fits into the big picture.