Pony Science

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
My god they've taken the scientists. Only option left is to take off and nuke the site from orbit.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Baneat said:
Scorched_Cascade said:
To shed some light on the "can they interbreed" thing here's a shot from the creator.

As far as I'm aware Luna and Celestia are the only hybrids, functionally immortal and as Goddesses. I don't think their birth is natural or frequent. I think it's exclusive.

I'm not really up on my science lately so I can't contribute much. It was interesting to read your table though thank you, I'm curious to see where the thread goes.
If "The Word of God" can see no reason why, there must be some serious racism for there to only be two hybrid-ponies in all of known equestria.
They are the only two outwardly obvious hybrids. Like the chart suggests, there are both dominant and recessive genes in the pool, and as I understand it, if you have say, Pegasus recessive genes paired with Earth Pony Dominant genes, you'll have the look of an Earth Pony who may have pegasus characteristics. *Gasp* That explains this little one's ability to cloud walk!
[img width= 400]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb426/Miles1990/Ponies/Still/wtf.png[/img]

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Some interesting scientific theories from ponychan about pony magic and Pegasus flight. [sub]yes, yes I know; Science about magic[/sub]
Theory:
[sub]Pegasi magic creates a field of greatly decreased gravity around them. They use their wings to direct air to give them lift and control; and the bubble follows them around. This would be why they're able to walk on clouds innately, the resistance of the cloud would be enough to hold them up if they weren't affected by gravity to the same degree as most other species.
[/sub][sub]
Fluttershy's bubble is flawed and she's affected by gravity more then most, which is why she's considered a weak flier. She has to overcome her body's own desire to be closer to the ground.
[/sub][sub]
The rainboom occurs when Rainbow Dash is attempting to exceed the speed limit imposed by her own anti-grav field. She builds up energy along a point, and punches through her own magical limitations, resulting in a huge release of energy akin to splitting the atom.
[/sub][sub]
This also explains what Rarity is holding onto when she's saved. She's in contact with Dash, and is then included in her field. It also explains Fluttershy's frog cart and the flying moving truck having a team of pegasi with it.
[/sub][sub]
... Still needs work, I know.[/sub]
[sub]All types of pony have magic, as has been confirmed; I've just been thinking that maybe, it's all the same magic? That is, it all comes from the same source, a generic power supply that all ponies possess. Unicorn magic comes out through the horn, which is close to the brain and therefore can be recognized and controlled easily by mental effort. Pegasus magic comes out MOSTLY through the wings, allowing them to fly, but also partially through their body, letting them walk on clouds and so forth. Their magic is a semi-autonomic system, like breathing: it can function without their conscious control, and they can also control it (say, to go through a cloud rather than landing on it). Earth ponies have no organ through which their magic manifests, so it simply builds up in their body (making them stronger and tougher) and "leaks" into their environment to have effects on plants and animals nearby.
[/sub][sub]
This "leaky reservoir" theory is corroborated by a few different things. First, Fluttershy. She seems to have weak pegasus magic, since she had trouble learning to fly, but perhaps it's her wings that are weak: if she has limited ability to express her internal energy that way, then it builds up inside her as it does for Earth Ponies, and thus gives her her ability with animals. A second proof is what happened to Twilight. Her magic seemed to be very weak, then instantly become very strong, which doesn't make much sense: however, if the internal power was the same, and it was simply her ability to express it through her horn that was somehow blocked, the sudden surge of power makes sense.
[/sub][sub]
This reinforces the impressiveness of the Princesses, who have double or triple the drain on their internal power, meaning that they have far more raw magical energy than others.[/sub]
People take rational explanations of magic and species differences very seriously.

I like the first one a lot it even explains why in the world RD was sent flying away by AJ in applebuck season when that fall clearly wouldn't have the strength for such a big parabola. <totally not a stolen quote from a science pony.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Just found part two of that theory so I may as well post that one as well.

Scorched_Cascade said:
Some interesting scientific theories from ponychan about pony magic and Pegasus flight. [sub]yes, yes I know; Science about magic[/sub]
Theory:
[sub]Pegasi magic creates a field of greatly decreased gravity around them. They use their wings to direct air to give them lift and control; and the bubble follows them around. This would be why they're able to walk on clouds innately, the resistance of the cloud would be enough to hold them up if they weren't affected by gravity to the same degree as most other species.
[/sub][sub]
Fluttershy's bubble is flawed and she's affected by gravity more then most, which is why she's considered a weak flier. She has to overcome her body's own desire to be closer to the ground.
[/sub][sub]
The rainboom occurs when Rainbow Dash is attempting to exceed the speed limit imposed by her own anti-grav field. She builds up energy along a point, and punches through her own magical limitations, resulting in a huge release of energy akin to splitting the atom.
[/sub][sub]
This also explains what Rarity is holding onto when she's saved. She's in contact with Dash, and is then included in her field. It also explains Fluttershy's frog cart and the flying moving truck having a team of pegasi with it.
[/sub][sub]
[sub]
Assuming Pegasi do emit some form of particle that allows them to levitate, it's likely that the same factor that allows them to walk on clouds also applies to moisture in the air.
[/sub][sub]
The moisture in the air causes very minor condensation around this unnamed particle field, creating a physical barrier as long as the Pegasus is traveling at a speed less then the speed at which the particle is released from their body.
Most species wouldn't notice a minute layer of mist around them, and they normally need a greater amount of water vapor to actually pose something they could touch.
It might also contribute to why Cloudsdale is so full of jerks. They are subconsciously pushing at each other 24/7.
[/sub][sub]
If a character was able to build enough energy to exceed the speed of their particle emission, once they surpassed that speed long enough to no longer have as many particles in their vector (I'm pretty sure that's the right word) the amount of resistance they would be facing would drop significantly, causing a rapid increase in their speed.
[/sub][sub].
In theory of course.[/sub]
and Part 3

[sub]Pegasus speed is limited by air humidity. She creates thin clouds while accelerating, which she has to actively overcome.
[/sub][sub]
Once overcome and traveling at an unrestricted speed, her flight bubble becomes conical, and it's a matter of catching Rarity and the others in her flight capable field and dragging them along with her. The field takes up the brunt of the damaging effects of high speed flying...
Which probably means if Rainbow, in a Rainboom, hit an object in flight it would probably kill her instead of her normal cartoon/magical physics protection.
[/sub]
The creator's name is "MintyRest" he's a tripper over at ponychan.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
Just found part two of that theory so I may as well post that one as well.

Scorched_Cascade said:
Theory:
[/sub][sub]
[/sub][sub]
[/sub][sub]
[/sub][sub]
[sub]
Assuming Pegasi do emit some form of particle that allows them to levitate, it's likely that the same factor that allows them to walk on clouds also applies to moisture in the air.
[/sub][sub]
The moisture in the air causes very minor condensation around this unnamed particle field, creating a physical barrier as long as the Pegasus is traveling at a speed less then the speed at which the particle is released from their body.
Most species wouldn't notice a minute layer of mist around them, and they normally need a greater amount of water vapor to actually pose something they could touch.
It might also contribute to why Cloudsdale is so full of jerks. They are subconsciously pushing at each other 24/7.
[/sub][sub]
If a character was able to build enough energy to exceed the speed of their particle emission, once they surpassed that speed long enough to no longer have as many particles in their vector (I'm pretty sure that's the right word) the amount of resistance they would be facing would drop significantly, causing a rapid increase in their speed.
[/sub][sub].
In theory of course.[/sub]
and Part 3

[sub]Pegasus speed is limited by air humidity. She creates thin clouds while accelerating, which she has to actively overcome.
[/sub][sub]
Once overcome and traveling at an unrestricted speed, her flight bubble becomes conical, and it's a matter of catching Rarity and the others in her flight capable field and dragging them along with her. The field takes up the brunt of the damaging effects of high speed flying...
Which probably means if Rainbow, in a Rainboom, hit an object in flight it would probably kill her instead of her normal cartoon/magical physics protection.
[/sub]
The creator's name is "MintyRest" he's a tripper over at ponychan.
Cool, thanks for that! Pony science is awesome!

delanofilms

Apr 25, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
6. a non genetic birth mark appears when they realize who they are? ridiculous.
I like to think Queen (Lauren wanted her to be a queen but Hasbro wouldn't have it) Celestia has a colossal army of black ops unicorns following all of her subjects and magically tattooing them to decide their positions in society. Or just when they figure it out for themselves.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
voorhees123 said:
Why the love for a crappy kids cartoon? I dont get it. A year ago....nothing. All of a sudden its pony this and pony that. I think this is a dumb bandwagon people are jumping on. Even the 5 years olds that the cartoon is aimed at take it for it is than adults who make it into something that it isnt. Like with transformers.

Horse turned to glue. Science in the making.
Like I said, this isn't about the show, it's about science!
I find the show fine, but definitely not the new coming of Christ that people seem to think.
This thread is just for fun. It was a fun challenge, it was never about the ponies themselves for me.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Giest4life said:
Oh. My. God. I've seen a couple of episodes and I think they are Ok, but why this?
Well I guess by the only honest answer I could give you probably won't satisfy you.
And that answer is; "Poops and giggles."
But if that's not enough, then I will defer to one Yahtzee fancies. "Because F@#k you!"

Legal disclaimer: This post was made in the attempt to spread sunshine and happiness, not flame and hate....Not that there's anything wrong with hate or fire.
*Lights a match* ^_^ Soon my little friend. I will feed you the world.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
This is a very interesting chart. It kind of explains a few things that I never actually thought of before. Nor would I ever thought of if it weren't for this thread. XD

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
HankMan said:
I can't find Derpy on the chart :(
That's because she defies science.

scorptatious said:
This is a very interesting chart. It kind of explains a few things that I never actually thought of before. Nor would I ever thought of if it weren't for this thread. XD
Yay, I was thought provoking! :D

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
Serving UpSmiles said:
SillyNilly said:
Serving UpSmiles said:
I've always wondered how Ponies have an intergrated society without hands.
Magnets.
I thought someone was going to say magic, but touché sir.
In one fan fiction, Dr. Hooves (the pony version of Dr. Who) notes that their society is set up in such a way that it really does require them working together to get a lot of basic things done. 'It's like your entire society was designed by kindergarten teachers. I love it.'

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
I'd just like to point out that this being a cartoon aimed at little girls, breeding and genetics- and science as a general rule- are all completely irrelevant. Ponies talk, fly, perform magic and generally operate a human-like world completely independently of humans, plus all the slapstick cartoonish things that happen (over-the-top eye popping, flaming ponies, ponies who can effectively teleport, falling great distances unharmed, etc. etc.) plus there are dragons.

That said, this is one awesome bit of over-analysation, and you are totally now 20% cooler for having done it. Keep up all the great sciencey stuff!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Simplified Mendelian inheritance? Neat.
But I think you are ignoring a vital fact... dominant-recessive genetics aka the first law.

The whole Apple family is Earth unicorns for example, though I confess you granting them pure earth pony genes does account for that. But Pinkie's recessive unicorn gene for example should also lead to unicornian family members after some time.

Still, one might claim that genetics does work in a different way in Equestria, just like physics does.
Scarim Coral said:
As for the OT it's interesting althought where would Prince Blueblood, Princess Celestria nephew would fit into the chart?
He's a dubious character anyway. Celestia's nephew... that'd mean he's either Luna's son or there is an unknown sibling that's never mentioned.
I say he's adopted!

Did someone already discuss that topic in the group? I'm not active enough to know everything that's being said in there.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
An interesting look at genotypes of the species of pony in MLP. I applaud the effort to be sure. Though I had understood that typical genes where either recessive or dominant as a trait. It seemed that the pegasus genes and the unicorn genes could be either or. I am going off of high school biology/genetics here, so I might be wrong in thinking that they must be one or the other. Not sure why genes from a specific gender would be more dominant than the other. That certainly wasn't brought up in my high school class. That being said, I think that a lot of the chart does make sense. It's an interesting look into the world of MLP, that few would think about otherwise. Thanks for the effort.