PopCap Balked at $5 Million Microsoft Buyout

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PopCap Balked at $5 Million Microsoft Buyout

Microsoft tried to convince PopCap it was only worth $5 million, but the studio didn't believe it.

PopCap Games, the company behind titles such as Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.amazon.com/Bejeweled-2-Pc/dp/B0006HUH00/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284170531&sr=8-3], could be basking under the Microsoft umbrella right now if it didn't have enough business moxie in its earlier days. Somewhere around eight years ago, Microsoft made an attempt to purchase PopCap, but evidently not a very good one.

Jason Kapalka spoke to Develop about the constant offers that PopCap gets from investors, and his reluctance to go forward with any of them. When Microsoft tried its hand, it wasn't so much reluctance that caused the offer to be denied as good business sense.

"We had a couple of funny instances in the early years of PopCap where we were talking to Microsoft about a possible acquisition," he said. "I think it was in 2002, and they sat us down and gave us this long speech about why our company was worth $5 million, at a time when we had $4 million in the bank."

PopCap was founded in 2000. The company's release of Bejeweled in 2001 was the start of a lengthy profitable life in the casual games market that has seen tens of millions of downloads across multiple games. Microsoft was trying to get in on its action early.

Kapalka continued: "We didn't know much about stock prices and business valuations at the time, but it really didn't sound like a very good deal even then." I would say it definitely wasn't a very good deal at all, considering future offers other companies made for PopCap. Kapalka revealed that just a couple of years later in 2004, PopCap was offered $100 million, though the deal didn't work out "for other reasons."

PopCap really isn't in any hurry to be bought out. Kapalka said the company doesn't want to work with people it "wouldn't be happy with for the next four years." PopCap is profitable, so he appears reluctant to take the chance of ruining a good thing. Independence is often worth more than a few million, when you're already raking in a few million of your own.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Well, good for them. Can't say I really like most of their offerings but Plants Vs. Zombies is good so far- I haven't beaten it yet.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
I don't really understand why companies feel the need to buy other companies. What is it that PopCap does that Microsoft couldn't do itself?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
oktalist said:
I don't really understand why companies feel the need to buy other companies. What is it that PopCap does that Microsoft couldn't do itself?
Companies don't buy other companies to do things that they can't do. They buy their infrastructure.

All companies have employees, facilities, established chains of command and supply, etc. Buying a company instantly adds these assets to your company.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
That's why I'm not a business man. There's no way I could knowingly try to rip someone off. Microsoft obviously knew that that it was a lowball offer, amd yet there dispatched the souless lawyer platoon for a fishing expedition. Atta stick to your guns, boys!

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm actually glad they didn't take that offer. I don't care how evil PopCap is, it really shows that they had faith in their company, even in the early years.

And seriously, $5 million is almost like an insult.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
I'm actually glad they didn't take that offer. I don't care how evil PopCap is, it really shows that they had faith in their company, even in the early years.

PopCap is evil? Hmm... It would explain a few things...

Good for them, though. Here's hoping they keep to themselves.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
oktalist said:
Companies don't buy other companies to do things that they can't do. They buy their infrastructure.

All companies have employees, facilities, established chains of command and supply, etc. Buying a company instantly adds these assets to your company.
I get that. But let's say PopCap is worth $100m. That means its employees, facilities, supply chains, etc. are collectively worth $100m. If another company has $100m that it could use to buy PopCap, why can't it just use that $100m to buy its own employees, facilities, supply chains, etc.?

I guess they're just playing the market. Offering less for a company than it's really worth in order to get the stuff cheaper than it otherwise could. Like with Microsoft's $5m offer.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Sigh...why can't more companies do that, you know? how much money is enough? especially when your company is still profitable and expanding.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
oktalist said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
oktalist said:

I get that. But let's say PopCap is worth $100m. That means its employees, facilities, supply chains, etc. are collectively worth $100m. If another company has $100m that it could use to buy PopCap, why can't it just use that $100m to buy its own employees, facilities, supply chains, etc.?

I guess they're just playing the market. Offering less for a company than it's really worth in order to get the stuff cheaper than it otherwise could. Like with Microsoft's $5m offer.
Because they're buying more than just a company, they're buying a name and all of it's games which are already established, it's a lot harder to produce profitable creative ideas than it is buying them.

Feb 13, 2008
oktalist said:
So. Many. Jokes...

No, I must be strong. Let's let the Simpsons do it.
GATES
Mr. Simpson?

HOMER
You don't look so rich.

GATES
Don't let the haircut fool you, I am exceedingly wealthy.

HOMER
(quietly to Marge) Get a load of the bowl-job, Marge!

GATES
Your Internet ad was brought to my attention, but I can't figure out what, if anything, CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet does, so rather than risk competing with you, I've decided simply to buy you out.

Homer and Marge step aside to talk privately.

HOMER
This is it Marge. I've poured my heart and soul into this business and now it's finally paying off. (covering his mouth) We're rich! Richer than astronauts.

MARGE
Homer quiet. Acquire the deal.

HOMER
(to Gates) I reluctantly accept your proposal!

GATES
Well everyone always does. Buy 'em out, boys!

Bill Gates companions begin to trash the "office".

HOMER
Hey, what the hell's going on!

GATES
Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks!

Bill Gates lets out a maniacal laugh. Homer and Marge cower in the corner as the room continues to be trashed.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
oktalist said:
Because there's no guarantee, setting out to spend $100 million to create a subdivision identical to a $100 million company, that you will succeed in recreating that company in your subdivision or its success. You can hire people with a reputation for talent and a track record of great games under their belt, throw a passel of money at them, and get Ion Storm for your troubles. Not even Ion Storm Austin. Ion Storm Dallas.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I think some people forget that this was back in 2002. Of course $5 millions is low as of todays standards and compared to how much PopCap would be worth in 2010, but I don't think $5 millions back in 2002 would have been too bad.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:

If YOU offered me $5 million right now, for my "business" i would bite your hand off, and then take your suitcases full of cash. =]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shit...when they had 4 million, MS only offered 5?

I wonder what Activision would have offered...