PopCap Delighted With WoW's Plants vs. Zombies Tribute

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PopCap Delighted With WoW's Plants vs. Zombies Tribute

PopCap didn't help make the Plants vs. Zombies tribute in World of Warcraft's Cataclysm expansion, but it's pleased as punch that it's there.

It came to light earlier in the week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103626-Cataclysm-Adds-Plants-vs-Zombies-Minigame-to-WoW] that Blizzard had tucked a homage to PvZ into Cataclysm. The tribute was so true to the game, it was suggested that PopCap might have assisted in its creation. As it turns out, it was all Blizzard's doing, but PopCap co-founder and creative director Jason Kapalka said that he was "delighted" by the tribute and was looking forward to trying it out for himself.

Kapalka said that PopCap and Blizzard had a very good relationship and that PopCap's games had crossed over with World of Warcraft a number of times in the past. It was Blizzard that took the initiative with the PvZ crossover, Kapalka said, adding that Laura Shigihara - who composed and sang the Plants vs. Zombies theme song - had recorded a few extra pieces for "something special" that Blizzard was doing with the quest.

The Plants vs. Zombies tribute quest, which is called "Peacebloom vs. Ghouls," is repeatable and has achievements attached to it, because let's be honest here, who really needs to go outside? Cataclysm is scheduled for release later this year.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/popcap-%E2%80%9Cdelighted%E2%80%9D-with-wow%E2%80%99s-plants-vs-zombies-homage]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
A favorite of mine...inside another favorite of mine? This is madness!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Another claim to fame thats for sure! Glad to see they are cool about it ^^

migo

Jun 27, 2010
The designer of PvZ explained that he was inspired by the tower defense games in Warcraft 3 custom maps, so why the hell not? You could actually take Warcraft 3, design a map that has a choke point and pretty much play Plants vs Zombies in it. Might as well go all the way.

Apr 28, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
A favorite of mine...inside another favorite of mine? This is madness!!
YO DAWG! I heard you like games! So we put a game in yo game so you can game while you game!

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Pretty damn awesome i must say.. I don't play WoW myself, but it's things like this that makes me kinda want to.

zorrandur

Mar 8, 2010
Spencer Petersen said:
Yo dawg i herd u like games so we put a game in yo game so you can game while you game!
Edit: Damn, Ninja'd!
ack where did that come from i know i've heard it before

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
It was Blizzard that took the initiative with the PvZ crossover, Kapalka said, adding that Laura Shigihara - who composed and sang the Plants vs. Zombies theme song - had recorded a few extra pieces for "something special" that Blizzard was doing with the quest
I wonder what Blizzard surprise is. Having her sing a song similar to the one is PvZ seems a bit unorginal, so I hope it is something completely unexpected.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Cadapalo said:
Logan Westbrook said:
It was Blizzard that took the initiative with the PvZ crossover, Kapalka said, adding that Laura Shigihara - who composed and sang the Plants vs. Zombies theme song - had recorded a few extra pieces for "something special" that Blizzard was doing with the quest
I wonder what Blizzard surprise is. Having her sing a song similar to the one is PvZ seems a bit unorginal, so I hope it is something completely unexpected.
It might be related to the pet at the end of the quest chain. TotalBiscuit notes that it's a Singing Sunflower, so perhaps that is it?

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
Amnestic said:
It might be related to the pet at the end of the quest chain. TotalBiscuit notes that it's a Singing Sunflower, so perhaps that is it?
I didn't watch the whole video as to avoid any spoilers to what seems to be a really fun quest. If it is a singing sunflower pet I'd be so pleased. This actually gives me an idea for a novelty toy sunflower that will dance and sing the PvZ song. Get on it Popcap.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Totalbiscuit!! Woooooo 1 of the most entertaining casters! \o\ /o/

the PVZ homage is cool too.