PopCap Hit With More Layoffs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PopCap Hit With More Layoffs

Electronic Arts has closed PopCap Dublin, laying off 96 employees.

The "exploratory consultation" into the future of PopCap's office in Dublin, Ireland has come to a bad end, as the studio has been closed outright, resulting in the loss of 96 jobs. PopCap said that "many" of the employees have been offered jobs elsewhere in PopCap, in other EA studios or with "technology partners in Ireland."

PopCap Dublin focused primarily on ports and mobile game development, but that apparently wasn't enough to enable it to fit into EA's current strategy. EA Games President Frank Gibeau initial round of layoffs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119385-EA-Exec-Explains-PopCap-Layoffs], including Plants vs. Zombies creator George Fan.

"Europe remains a critical market for PopCap and we will continue to grow our presence through centralized services operated from our North American offices and through the extensive European EA network," the company said in a statement. "In Ireland, EA announced last week the addition of 300 jobs for its European Customer Experience Center in Galway, almost doubling the number of staff." The Galway call center currently employs nearly 400 people.

It's a sad come-down for a studio that was once a can't-lose hit-making machine. We wish all the best to everyone affected by the cuts.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/popcap-dublin-closes-its-doors/0103364]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Gaming news is as depressing as "mainstream" nowadays. It's all doom and gloom and people screwing up or one another over.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
'Almost there EA, just a few for more.' Very sad and very unsurprising, expect to see the same with Bioware in the coming years...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I thought everyone knew that EA never wanted PopCap, they just wanted PopCap's IPs. They fully intend to milk these IPs dry and then move onto something else.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, with over three years and four hundred posts, The Escapist's spot captchas still can't figure out I'm not a spammer?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Even "Todd Akin" would agree that EA Inc is a "Legitimate Rapist" of the Video Game Industry.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I think I finally see EA's strategy
If they can buy & dismantle every studio that makes something good, there won't be anyone to compare EA's mediocrity to

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Europe remains a critical market for PopCap and we will continue to grow our presence through centralized services operated from our North American offices and through the extensive European EA network," the company said in a statement. "In Ireland, EA announced last week the addition of 300 jobs for its European Customer Experience Center in Galway, almost doubling the number of staff." The Galway call center currently employs nearly 400 people.
So, killed 50+96 paying clerical, programming, and artistic jobs and added 300 brutal minimum-wage call center jobs.

As a former call center worker, I'd just like to say: Fuck you, EA.

Gods, it's starting to look like PopCap SHOULD have thrown in with Zynga when they had the chance.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
PopCap Dublin focused primarily on ports and mobile game development
[EA is] pivoting a little bit harder towards mobile and away from social
Hmm, so why close them down again?

Please tell me I'm not the only who noticed this hypocrisy. Yet another for EA I suppose though.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
PopCap Dublin focused primarily on ports and mobile game development
[EA is] pivoting a little bit harder towards mobile and away from social
Hmm, so why close them down again?

Please tell me I'm not the only who noticed this hypocrisy. Yet another for EA I suppose though.
I saw it as well but I have a hard time comprehending EA's logic in many cases. Guess they figured their mobile focused locations in the US are enough for what they need and that the Dublin branch is useless in their books for specializing in a similar area.

Doesn't mesh well with the "pivoting a little bit harder towards mobile" statement but that's all I can come up with.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
and this is why I hate EA. If I had the money I would buy all the IP from EA and give it back to the original people

wookiee777

Mar 5, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
If I had the money I would buy all the IP from EA and give it back to the original people
That would probably take enough dough to repay the U. S. debt two times over. And even then, EA still might not go for it. Because ruining IP and other companies is priceless.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
I think I finally see EA's strategy
If they can buy & dismantle every studio that makes something good, there won't be anyone to compare EA's mediocrity to
Because PopCap weren't mediocre before becoming part of EA?