Pope Francis Describes Internet as "A Gift From God"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Pope Francis Describes Internet as "A Gift From God"

In a recent communication, Pope Francis encouraged his followers to embrace electronic media while warning of the hazards of obsessive use.

There's a strong perception that technology and religion don't get along, but in truth, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_205/6144-Pastor-Blaster>that's usually far from the reality. Both the secular and spiritually-minded use all kinds of electronic media these days, from PCs to mobile phones, with support extending well into religious institutions. The Catholic Church is one such example, especially now that Pope Francis himself has proclaimed the benefits of online communications. Francis even went so far as to call the internet "a gift from God" that allows peoples from different backgrounds and faiths to better understand one another.

"In a world like this, media can help us to feel closer to one another," Pope Francis writes. "Good communication helps us to grow closer, to know one another better, and ultimately, to grow in unity. The walls which divide us can be broken down only if we are prepared to listen and learn from one another. We need to resolve our differences through forms of dialogue which help us grow in understanding and mutual respect ... The internet, in particular, offers immense possibilities for encounter and solidarity. This is something truly good, a gift from God."

The sentiment is certainly positive, although it could be met with skepticism by anyone who's spent time browsing comment threads. Even Francis acknowledges that the internet has its hazards: "The speed with which information is communicated exceeds our capacity for reflection and judgement," Francis continues. "The variety of opinions being aired can be seen as helpful, but it also enables people to barricade themselves behind sources of information which only confirm their own wishes and ideas, or political and economic interests ... The desire for digital connectivity can have the effect of isolating us from our neighbors, from those closest to us."

Rather than suggesting that followers should avoid online media, Pope Francis instead encourages Catholics take a "neighborly" approach to communications to better learn from each other. "The world of media also has to be concerned with humanity, it too is called to show tenderness," Francis explained. "The digital world can be an environment rich in humanity; a network not of wires but of people. The impartiality of media is merely an appearance; only those who go out of themselves in their communication can become a true point of reference for others."

Source: USA Today

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
I wholeheartedly agree with the Pope here. And I do hope that his followers and even those not of the Catholic faith follow this as well.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
While I disagree with him completely at his core idea. He seems like a really cool dude who I would high five with the upmost respect. I really, really dig this pope

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"The speed with which information is communicated exceeds our capacity for reflection and judgement,"
Pretty solid point right there. Pope Francis really is the best thing to happen to the church in my lifetime, imo.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
It just took several decades of human toil and engineering before god could take all that credit hu?

If god exist he has to be a tenured professor who always gets his name on his students research papers just because.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I don't think the Lord would approve much of the things I've been looking at online....

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
reiniat said:
Who the hell is this pope? what happened to Benedict Cucumbatch XXX?
I agree with him tough...
Benedict was one of, if not the only pope to ever step down from the position. I don't remember the reasons tho, but now we have Francis. He's slowly but surely taking baby steps to move the Catholic church to a more modern view, which is awesome. I hope we see some real reform while he's the pope.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Wise words indeed, Pope Francis is a pretty cool guy.

It is sometimes easy to forget that the Internet is supposed to unite people, not to divide them.

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Best. Pope. Ever. He went to my school's church once, ages ago. I was really surprised when he got elected.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Seriously though, this pope is awesome.
Going from the guy that looks like Emperor Palpatine to a guy that says gays are good people, the internet is a nice thing, etc...

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
the doom cannon said:
Benedict was one of, if not the only pope to ever step down from the position.
Not the only, but certainly the first in about 600 years.

OT: Man, this guy's pretty great. Definitely the sort of "real" person the church needed for a long time.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I like Pope Francis a lot.

That said, the first thing that came to mind with the headline was "...And, like most gifts from God, you've all been using it in ways which are kind of embarrassing and shameful."

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
While I agree with the papal sentiment here in general terms, I chafe at the implication that God created the Internet just for us to sort ourselves out. It comes across as a touch dismissive of the lowly humans who actively sweat and toil over the digital mess, and in the face of the Popes own cutting insight about our reflection and judgement? Rather ignorant of the attendant evils.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
It's almost like Pope Hitleryouth McCoverup was a deliberate hate lightning rod so when this guy comes around everyone loves him.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Yeah, thank god, not all those people that put work into it. Still, Pope Francis is a hell of a lot better than the previous two popes have been- it's refreshing to see a Pope that seems like he's not stuck in the past.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
While I have pretty strong feelings against organized religion, I must say I rather like this pope. I don't always agree with what he says, but I will commend him for generally having a lot more positive attitude towards things. More 'this is good' and not so much 'this is bad', unlike his predecessors.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I see it more like a gift from technological and scientific progress rather than a gift from a sky fairy. I also laughed at this:

We need to resolve our differences through forms of dialogue which help us grow in understanding and mutual respect
Because we all know that the Vatican doesn't count homosexuals or people who want abortions/contraception in their list of people they want to understand!

Still, he's a damn sight better than pope's of old. Especially the one who can shoot lightning from his fingers.