Popular games everyone loves but you cant understand how its so popular

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
SpireOfFire said:
resident evil 4. i played it for about 30 minutes and i said "fuck this". i cant understand how so many people love the game when i consider it one of the worst games i ever played.
Depth perception? That is an odd issue. You mean how the apparent point of aim of the laser would change position moving aim from targets in background to targets in foreground? That's more a parallax aiming issue (completely eliminated in Wii version that uses parallax-free reticule), stick with it and it'll get better.

To be fair, the Gamecube version is much better, it has GORGEOUS real-time lighting that really makes the environments come alive and adds much needed tension and suspense with enemies hiding in the shadows.

I suppose looking back RE4 does get off to a slow start, maybe it depends too much on fan perseverance, but it really opens up into a rip roaring adventure. I am a PC-fanboy mouse aim whore and I'll admit the controls are utter shit... but even admitting that, the rest of the game is still worth it.

My advice: give the game another chance, try the Gamecube version which was the original version as the developers intended it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
s69-5 said:
FPS games in general.

And Dragon Age: origins. Boring story, unlikable characters, a poorly designed party AI management system and uninspired gameplay. I'm selling my copy back to the store after work and buying Trinity Universe.
Good. Sometimes I feel like the only one. These are my thoughts exactly. Maybe it was the segmented ?open world,? the looooong conversations, or the often inappropriate soundtrack but it just wasn?t a very immersive game for me. I got the feeling that under the beautiful façade I was just filling out some sort of graph.

But for me, the number one game that can?t get me to understand it?s popularity is No More Heroes. And honestly, I don?t mind the graphics, in fact I think the look is one of the only endearing things about the game. It?s the tedious and bland overworld (with all of it?s tedious and bland features), the worst minigames on the wii (and that?s saying something; however, I haven?t played that Redneck minigame collection), or the really formulaic and repetitive boss levels that makes me wonder why all the critics seemed to have liked this game. In my opinion: the most overrated game of all time.

A lot of people say the Halo and FF games are overrated (especially in this thread it seems) and while I agree that they are both pretty generic (FF more because they defined the genre for so long), and while I?ve never owned a game from either franchise (but my wife has a couple of FF titles), the games that get made for them are pretty solid. They aren?t bad games. I think it?s weird when a really badly made game gets a bunch of rave reviews.

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
Really, for me, it's any console-exclusive first person shooter. I can't see how anyone can consider an analog thumb stick to be intuitive. I've been over friends houses playing any of the MOH games and just can't do it...

a Soviet Pie

Apr 30, 2009
Modern Warfare 2
I understand that people find it fun, and for small amounts of time, I'll play it. But when I run into the people on it who only play it, or god forbid, be one of the players who has zero gamerscore because they only play multilayer, I can't help but think that they need to branch out! There are more games than Modern Warfare 2! Besides, how can people play it for so long? People always go to the same spots with the same guns with the same kill streaks. Nothing ever changes.

a Soviet Pie

Apr 30, 2009
Oh, and I would rip on gears of war 2, but everything that bugs me about that can be covered in three small phrases; Steroids, chainsaws, and glitchers/hackers/modders on xbox live.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah MW1's multiplayer. Also Dragon Age, it just seemed like a shit, single-player WoW where they took out all the free-roam and explorative motivation and replaced it with more character "personality", which I never really wanted in the first place because it never harmed my World of Warcraft experience not having any.

UPRC

Mar 5, 2010
It's Fallout 3 for me. I found the setting to be bland, and Bethesda's habit of continuously making their AI characters more and more boring and robotic with each new game didn't help me like it at all.

And that VATS system was just a horrendous way to force "turn based" combat on us.

Audio

Apr 8, 2010
Real Time Strategy games.
I enjoy watching other people play it, specially when a big plan comes together. I dont see much fun in the management side.
Note: Not saying it's bad, i just dont see the fun.

Also agree with Fable. Played the first one at work some years back, voice acting was fun but game play sucked (from the few hours i got with it)

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
Wait are you guys really berating halo for being too colourful, not I'm telling you here that you'd better not be the same fucking guys that ***** about every generic shooter being too brown and grayish or I will hunt you down and END YOUR VERY BEING.
oh...yeah!

They are...=P

Except me though, Halo is too Rainbow Brite colorful for me with its pink laser beams and fisher price guns and I just love me some brown and grey Gears...=)

Although if you're going to make your game colorful, study what Uncharted 2 did right and go from there...=)

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
archvile93 said:
Bioshock, yes the atmosphere was nice, but the gameplay was shit. Since when does atmosphere excuse horrible gameplay?
Since the story is excellent as well.

Also, I'm really sick of this thread. It's been done about a million times and it all boils down to the fact that everyone has different opinions.
I love your new avatar, its perfect man.

OT: Oh crap what is this thread about? Um games that are popular that I don't like?
How about all of them?

I'm gonna go play Actraiser now.

Nick of Blades

Feb 27, 2010
clankwise said:
When i just had a ps3 my friends bragged about fable 1 and 2. I finally got a 360 and started playing popular xbox games and most met my expectations but then came fable. People talked about how immersive and large andfun this game was. This in my opinion is one of the worst RPGs ever designed. I loved lionhearts work in black and white but this game is pure trash. It holds no depth fighting is boring and my character has a quick ageing problem.

Thats the first fable however then on to fable 2 which i bought for $5 dolars. Allthough the story and general game is improved it is still bad. The games pretty easy it wasnt until halfway through the game that i died thats when i figured out that If you die there is no consquence other than a scar so why bother trying if youll always win.My character looks wierd for some reason no matter what clothes i give him he always looks wierd. Ai is broken One minute a girl loves me the next she is shooting me for robbing a house as part of a mission.Its just so easy to do anything except for money well until you reach the arena.

Point being is there a game you cant understand why is so popular?
(actualy play the game dont just hate)
I might come to your house to set you straight. Fable is amazing.

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
The GTA games, pretty much all of them.

They are made out to be these massive cities with so much to explore and do.... but in reality as soon as you step away from the main storyline you are left with just repetitive driving jobs to do. And if you get even just a little carried away when enjoying yourself an unstoppable mob of Police descend upon you within seconds.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
archvile93 said:
Bioshock, yes the atmosphere was nice, but the gameplay was shit. Since when does atmosphere excuse horrible gameplay?
I fully agree. I just don't get the appeal of Bioshock. All I hear about is its great storyline but there really isn't one.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Sports games. NBA, NHL, Madden, etc. Whenever I go into a thrift store, or EB, they make up the lions share of used games, and are all very cheap. Somehow they sell so well that people are buying them like clockwork each year and turn around and sell them in large amounts, or just give them away - they can't be getting more than $0.99 for a game that sells used for $1.99 And I never, ever, see them bought by anyone. If you're selling it for $0.99 in store credit, you must really not like the game, because if it had any replay value, for that much I'd keep it around to play once in a while.

Guitar Hero I sort of get - anyone can play it, even though it seems bizarre to pay that much for a game when you could buy a second hand guitar from a pawn shop for that price. Sports games.... I've tried playing them, it takes a while to learn, so there isn't even the "4 friends are over, let's sit down and quickly play a game" appeal that Guitar Hero and Rock Band have.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Bioshock. I gave it up after a few hours because it was horrible. When people say good things about it they mention the atmosphere, which I found to be insipid at best, and the story, which completely failed to be engaging. The combat is astonishingly bad, the upgrade system is terrible, the gameplay is terrible, the level design is somewhat lacking and oh look, minigames....

Crimson King

May 16, 2009
The Half Life 2 series.

Sure it's fun, but I never saw exactly what everyone else sees in it. Some days I think I do, but most days I just don't get it.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
I have to say that this thread is a really, really bad idea; Quite frankly, it's like food for trolling. I have been insulted at least five times, just on the first page. So, I ask you this: who the fuck cares if you don't like the games I like? Go ahead and talk out you're collective asses about what you don't like about a game, but don't start ripping on the people who actually enjoy that game, That's just rude.

For the record, I enjoy Rockband/guitar hero, halo, MW2, Oblivion, Bioshock, and probably many other games that were ripped apart on the other 7 hate filled pages. Therefor, I take offense to any post which transcends simply ripping on a game, and begins ripping on me for enjoying it.