Pork Pushers Protest Sale of Unicorn Meat

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...some people need to get a sense of humour and lighten up...Its hilarious!

Apr 28, 2008
Dumbass executives...

Honestly, April 1st + Unicorns = a joke so obvious a toddler can see

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Awesome.

The silliness of some people is astonishing no matter how often observed.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Why do I have the feeling the Beef council would have seen through the charade and had a hearty laugh if the feaux-ad had satired their product instead? This is saying so much about the Pork industry that I am uncomfortable at learning.
Addendum: And yet PETA never sprouted up and said anything? This is weird.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
dragontiers said:
I may be misinformed, but wouldn't this be covered under satire? I thought it would be fairly obvious from the fact it's Unicorn Meat that they weren't being serious, and were not introducing a competing product. I don't see how this violates their mark, even if it is kind of similar.
It most certainly is, as the ThinkGeek staff explained - what's funny is the Pork Board and their legal representation somehow overlooked the bit where canned unicorn meat was an April Fools Day joke and not in fact a product for sale. They weren't protesting a comedy product using something similar to their trademark for satirical purposes, they just genuinely didn't notice it was satire and not in any way real. Somehow.

Your guess is as good as mine how that is possible, heh.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Idlemessiah said:
Wow. Some people have no sense of humour.
I mean, 'They stole our slogan to sell canned unicorn meat.'And these are supposed to be grown men...
I suspect there might be more to this story than the article is covering.

While superficially silly, there must have been some reason they reacted that way. People have poked fun at/spoofed the slogan befor eI believe. For some reason they must have viewed this joke as a threat, and it makes me wonder as to why.

For example did "Thinkgeek" bait them specifically for laughs, a part of the story we're not seeing?

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Okay folks, turn towards the National Pork Board and sing it with me...

"You are an idiot! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha-a ha ha ha-a ha!"

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
Wait. I'm supposed to trust these idiots with safely handling my pork products? This is hilarious, but for all the wrong reasons. I guess you can make a court case out of anything these days...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
So wait, there really isn't any unicorn meat?

But I really wanted to try it!

Lady Amalthea....yummmmm

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
And from this day forward, anybody working in the pork industry shall now be known as a mental deficient.

Why? Because nobody stood back and said: "Err... Unicorn's aren't real, and a lawsuit would be fucking stupid"

And even if they did, they sure's hell didn't say anything.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Furburt said:
In other news, Tim Langdell recently assumed ownership of the National Pork Board.
How the hell did I get ninja'd to this?! Great minds think alike I guess.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
First of all, there is no chance of Unicorn meat cutting into Porks business. Because of that, secondly, this is CLEARLY parody. Think Geek would almost assuredly win the lawsuit against it.

Of course, the Pork industry probably has better lawyers then little ol' Think Geek, so they can strong arm them into dropping the advertisement, and winning back that lucrative market of people who believe in unicorns, and want to eat them as a pork substitute, and were convinced of this by an advertisement on a site that sells novel electronics. Big win there. Which is why that in any case brought to court, the respective sides should be assigned a lawyer of equal skill, with no intervention from privately hired lawyers.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Furburt said:
In other news, Tim Langdell recently assumed ownership of the National Pork Board.
My thinking exactly. Next thing you know, they'll claim to have rights to the term 'white meat'...

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Silly Pork Pushers, Unicorns don't exist. And even if they did, you'd have to deal with those pesky Minotaurs first. (Cookie for the game reference)

..Though on a serious note, no third party outside of this called how fucking retarded this lawsuit is, considering the basis of it? My faith in Humanity's sanity just went down a little, again.