Portal 2 Confirmed by Valve

blackadvent

Nov 16, 2007
Yan-Yan said:
I am, sadly, reminded of The Matrix and it's sequels. The Matrix was almost a sleeper hit that came from no where and took the theaters by storm. Then when they announced a sequel, no matter how good it was or could have been, it now had to compete with The Matrix. I fear, a bit, that this is what one will find with Portal 2.

Not because Portal 2 will be bad, lack luster, or even sub par compared to Portal. It may, in fact, be twice as good, but people will expect the same feelings that Portal pulled from them.

Instead, I predict people will get the 'standard Valve procedure': "More of the Same, But Different". It will be Portal, it will give more physics flinging, ball busting, Sentry centered game play, but they will somehow up the anti.

We've learned from past franchise games that sequels are like that (Mario, for example). It's not bad, but people are going to ruin it for themselves. Me? I'm going to buy it regardless, because like the player made maps you can download, it's that kind of stupid fun I love.
Yea, but one of the main problems with the Matrix sequels is that the story went to pot. Half-Life 2 and Portal have shown no signs of jumping the shark yet.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Hearing confirmation of Portal 2 is like having some delicious cake, discovering it's all gone, then hearing someone's building a bakery next door.

I'm so very, very happy.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
blackadvent said:
Yea, but one of the main problems with the Matrix sequels is that the story went to pot. Half-Life 2 and Portal have shown no signs of jumping the shark yet.
Well, there is one similarity between the two - the Matrix really never needed a sequel, and neither does Portal. They both have great endings.

The great thing about videogames though is that it's perfectly normal and acceptable to have a sequel set in the same general world but with a completely different plotline. I think that a sequel to Portal would be most likely to take this route.

Sib

Dec 22, 2007
Surggical_Scar said:
Hearing confirmation of Portal 2 is like having some delicious cake, discovering it's all gone, then hearing someone's building a bakery next door.

I'm so very, very happy.
wow, i think thats about 5 different flavours of win in one sentence, but also yes portal2 will be brilliant but mildly neutered by hype

Altair-Ego

Feb 3, 2008
Crap_haT said:
What do you have against the PS3?
Enjoy all consoles, and noone will hate you.
Well, considering Valve refused to release The Orange Box for the PS3 and EA ported it, my grounds are very sane. Valve may not release Portal 2 for the PS3

MagnusElden

Feb 23, 2008
Altair-Ego said:
Crap_haT said:
Well, considering Valve refused to release The Orange Box for the PS3 and EA ported it, my grounds are very sane. Valve may not release Portal 2 for the PS3
I don't like or dislike any console. I don't really care. The console can be as good as it wants to be as long as the game it runs makes me enjoy the time I spend on it. It's like saying your girl is not good enough because she isn't a blonde, although you enjoy the time spent in bed with her.

Yan-Yan

Jan 13, 2008
p1ne said:
blackadvent said:
Well, there is one similarity between the two - the Matrix really never needed a sequel, and neither does Portal. They both have great endings.

The great thing about videogames though is that it's perfectly normal and acceptable to have a sequel set in the same general world but with a completely different plotline. I think that a sequel to Portal would be most likely to take this route.
While blackadvent is right in that the Matrix sequel plots 'went to pot' and Portal shows no sign of that, did Matrix show any indication that it's sequels would end up like they did? Of course not. The point I was making is that regardless of how well done the sequels to The Matrix were, they were still the target of any and all criticism leveled at them because they got hyped, if only by the individual. And I personal fear Portal getting the same treatment.

I do agree with pine, however. Games usually get a bit of leeway in that regard. And so I expect a degree of nitpicking, I won't be shocked if the game still ends up being spectacular on every level.

Altair-Ego

Feb 3, 2008
Crap_haT said:
Altair-Ego said:
Crap_haT said:
Can I have a link backing up this statement, because I was fully unaware of this.
Either way I have the orange box on pc, where it belongs. So it doesn't effect me.
PC or 360. Not PS3

Valve Co-founder Gabe Newell: I think [PS3 is] a waste of everybody’s time. Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else. You’re not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they’ve created. I don’t think they’re going to make money off their box. I don’t think it’s a good solution.

Source (NOT ENGINE): http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7422&Itemid=61

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Haliwali said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Hello, friend. I see you. Are you there? Hey, put me down! Owowowowowo! Whhhyyyy?
I never knew how hard it was to kill something that said "It's OK, I don't blame you."
I'd like to see the protagonist on the run from Aperture Science, fighting human enemies in an urban environment.

Portal high on wall+portal under car/baddie=awesome.
The part that muddles my brain is how we actually now do feel attacked to the Companion Cube... AND YOU MURDERED IT!

Anyhoo, the only "Good" idea I can come up with for an acceptable Portal2 would be a prequel. Playing as the "First Guy" who left all the clues behind, possibly happening at the same time as GlaDOS's takeover.

Damn, now that would be cool.

Yan-Yan

Jan 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
A plush drone turret with built-in audio box would be nice too, but I don't think anyone makes those...
See, now I want to take a pair of cheap speakers, a brief refresher course in sewing, and make something like that. I'm thinking something with legs sturdy enough to stand, soft enough to hug, and instead of opening up and having gun barrels, you'll have speakers! Maybe make it motion sensitive (red laser light!) with a zipper pouch in the back to hold iPods / mp3 players.

Because I would be the one to rip all the Turret speech onto an iPod and load it into one of those things. "Hello? Is anybody there? I see you! Nap time."