Portal 2 Crowned BAFTA's "Best Game"

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
Chicago Ted said:
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Chicago Ted said:
Oh, and Best Debut Game as Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and Rayman Origins for Art Achievement? Really? Really?
What about Rayman winning artistic achievement is hard to believe? That game is absolutely gorgeous.
I didn't play it, but saw some videos of it. Personally, I just found the style of Bastion to be far more appealing.
Rayman looked good to me in videos, not amazing. Then I played it in high def.... ohhhh boy... *drools*
/reply

I would've given Bastion an award for the best soundtrack. Portal 2 winning best story isn't a bad choice if we're judging purely on the quality of the writing. The story itself is rather simple, though. Bastion would've been a fine choice as well

Jul 9, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
I'd say uncharted got fucked more than Skyrim. I mean that actually had good storytelling and amazing voice acting. I mean the story isn't groundbreaking or anything. But it's solid and it's got some amazing set pieces.

Overall in my opinion Skyrims just mehh in every aspect. It didn't really blow me away on anything.

And as much as I loved portal 2. I think Batman trumps it on pretty much everything. I am glad that game got some love though.

But also... How did little big planet 2 trump Bastion on innovation..... I mean really?

Also, hands down. Bastion had the best original soundtrack of possibly any game ever. And it's not even in that category... nor audio. And it's narration was probably it's strongest point... pretty sure that's audio.

Also no love for Machinarium. That should have been second in the OST category really. Tom Dovak = genius.

These things almost never seem to get the categories right.

The only thing I'm glad about is that Batman didn't get sidelined for Skyrim or something.
On the subject of Bastion's music, if this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U] song doesn't give anyone who played the game chills, I don't know what will.

I can't think of a single other song that did that to me.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Strategy
? Winner: Total War: SHOGUN 2
? Dark Souls
? Deus Ex: Human Revolution
? Football Manager 2012
? From Dust
? Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Spot the odd ones out.

Salakayin

Apr 1, 2010
I agree with the folks talkin' about Bastion. It's a shame it did not get any love, although I was surprised it even showed up in the nominations of some of those categories. Real shame they didn't even show up in some of them that would've made sense, like story and soundtrack. Bastion had one of the more incredible soundtracks I've heard in a game. That combined with its narration and story, it really does deserve more love. Maybe one day! A man can hope and dream.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
Skyrim wins zilch, cue nerd rage.

IMO all winners deserved their awards. Though I am very very very surprised that Deus Ex and Dark Souls are on the 'best strategy' list. Lolwut?

Mystify

Apr 15, 2009
Hammeroj said:
and the other that GLaDOS was exploded to shit.
The entire ending song was about how she was still alive. It was even the title. How could you complain about GLaDOS being alive? After the end of the game, you have an entire song about how the villain is still alive and will continue doing what she has been doing, how do you not expect a sequel in which she returns?

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Way I see it, Skyrim was good at a lot of things, but those other winners did something great in that single category over Skyrim. Although I was surprised Skyrim didn't win in the music category. Oh well, it doesn't change my opinion on the games I've been playing.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Sports/Fitness
? Winner: Dance Central 2
? DiRT 3
? F1 2011
? FIFA 2012
? WINNER: Kinect Sports 2
? Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012
2 winners?

I think the right game won most of these, Bastion got screwed on Debut. Though the nominations are really weird though. The only one I think Skyrim really deserved was the original score, even though it wasn't particularly original, the way it was used was brilliant. Still, can't blame them.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Portal 2/ Valve are worthy winners.

I'm good with the whole list, even BF3.

Aposthebest

Mar 17, 2010
Ok...exactly what did Skyward sword innovate into?? The only thing they innovate in is how to make the exact same thing look different over and over again.

And shouldn't FM12 be on the sports section? Oh well,not that they deserve an award to begin with...worst forums ever,the moderators abuse their power on every way possible and their fan-boy base dismisses anything someone complains about. That game won't go forward for anything.

As for bastion losing on innovation on something that is a sequel...well,no comment there. :p

Most of the groups are a bit off anyway, portal 2 is practically a puzzle game and they got it on action?

zephyron

Sep 27, 2011
newwiseman said:
Skyrim['s]... biggest selling point is the Creation Kit...
...Portal 2 is disappointingly short and lacks in repetition...
Were you aware that Portal 2 also has a creation kit and an incredibly active mapping community [http://www.thinkingwithportals.com] that continues to make additional content to this day? Furthermore, in an upcoming patch they're going to include a much better in-game and in-Steam experience for creating, distributing and playing user-generated content?

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Acrisius said:
SilverUchiha said:
I'm glad that Arkham City and Portal 2 won some awards... but Battlefield? Seriously? Does that really deserve anything?
It definitely deserved best Audio, at least. BF3 is years ahead any other game when it comes to the sounds and audio in the game, it's just insanely good. And well, it deserves best multiplayer too. Even if it uses Origin... > : (
Yeah BF3 has amazing audio. Sometimes when I'm playing that game in the middle of a heated match I'll stop for a second and realize that all the sounds of gunfire, explosions, and yelling in the distance are all player made and I just get chills.

Overall I gotta say this list isn't half bad. None of the winners are true face palms. I think you could argue that some of the choices should be different but considering how these video game awards usually turn out seems like a step in the right direction to me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Human Revolution should have won it for the music, far and away. The soundtrack is sublime.

Hammeroj said:
and the other that GLaDOS was exploded to shit.
Ummm...

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Hammeroj said:
The entire game is an unnatural a sequel as it gets. The entirety of it is a retcon. To start off, it invalidates two aspects the ending of the original game. One of them being that Chell escapes the lab, and the other that GLaDOS was exploded to shit.

And then it invalidates several more core themes of the original. Aperture Science is no longer an actual science facility. The "research" they conduct and their attitude towards science is so god damn goofy that it makes it extremely implausible they'd come across any actual inventions like the Portal Gun. Remember that reference to Black Mesa, the one that basically said Aperture Science is a relatively small and effective facility in comparison? Nah, they're actually fucking humongous and their course of progress is "throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks".

Then the stupid writing.
-An AI that took up what amounted to cubic meters upon cubic meters of hardware functions perfectly fine inside a potato.
-An AI:
A) Is supposedly created from a human, yet never functioned remotely as one. That's a huge logic gap standing on top of a retcon. This plot point is only introduced in the second game and runs contrary to the first game's canon, namely that being a purely science-oriented AI, GLaDOS needed personality cores to constrain her. What the fuck is the point of her being a human before?
B) Then realises its origins by hearing her old boss speak. Because that's how computers work. They don't have access to their own memory banks.
-Right at the moment Chell is in GLaDOS's hands, the AI decides to let her go. Because she's "tired".

And to top it all off, the story goes nowhere. Absolutely bloody nowhere. It introduces a couple of completely unnecessary, contradictory and/or stupid concepts, like the things I mentioned, and then proceeds to end right where the first Portal ended. For no good reason, either.

This is off my memory because I played the game a year ago, but yeah. And I ain't even touching Wheatley.

It's a goofy, child-oriented little game that only achieves cuteness. To call it a storytelling masterpiece on almost any level is, in my opinion, insulting.
1. As the Portal 1 ending song states "I AM STILL ALIVE"

2. Aperture Science was always goofy, don't you remember the organ harvesting from the first game? Or their lazyness to program in actual names so Glados read , or you know all the portal tests which were unnaturally dangerous, or the use of Bring your daughter to work day to test people without their consent?

Hell don't you remember the 3 tier plan from Portal 1's marketing that cave made after he went crazy?
-The take a wish foundation were they took wishes from sick and dieing kids to give them to rich people
-The Heimlich counter maneuver, to prevent people from using the Heimlich maneuver.
-The Portal gun

3. There was never a point that said Aperture was small and ineffectual compared to Black Mesa, only that they got less funding. In fact Dr. Kleiner seems to treat them with some respect in Episode 2.

4. Actually the personality cores only kept her contained and harmless. It as NEVER stated in the first one she NEEDED them to function. In fact the end of the first one the more of them you removed the more evil she got.

5. Cave Johnson died before Glados was made and Glados herself states she doesn't have access to the old parts of Aperture, Cave's messages were never in her databanks.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
zephyron said:
newwiseman said:
Skyrim['s]... biggest selling point is the Creation Kit...
...Portal 2 is disappointingly short and lacks in repetition...
Were you aware that Portal 2 also has a creation kit and an incredibly active mapping community [http://www.thinkingwithportals.com] that continues to make additional content to this day? Furthermore, in an upcoming patch they're going to include a much better in-game and in-Steam experience for creating, distributing and playing user-generated content?
I did not, but I'm not surprised considering how much half-life has been modded. I'll have to look into it now.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
TheKasp said:
But this my opinion on all games compared to Valve games: They utterly misunderstand the concept of "interactive medium" and rely not on the right methods to tell stories in video games.
Wow. You are really really impressed with what I call "de facto cut scenes". In Valve games, you get to look around or walk down a one-way corridor while cut-scenes happen around you. And you seem to think that's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't even dignify that level of interaction as "interactive medium" at all. I can look around in a theatre - moreso if I sit up front in an IMAX or go to one of those dome-type theatres - but that doesn't make it interactive. In Portal 2, the gameplay and the narrative are completely divided; nothing you can do in the gameplay affects the narrative at all. And indeed, for most of the game, the gameplay sections and the narrative sections are separate sections altogether, underlining the effect. I'm sure I wasn't the only one relieved to find each test chamber so I'd get to actually play the game...

Putting an utterly linear and, yes, non-interactive narrative like Portal 2 over efforts like DX:HR is, IMO, a real shame. (DX:HR is hardly a "sandbox narrative", but as "rubber band" narratives go it rocked, and "rubber band" narratives can have a great deal of actual interaction, which games like Portal 2 lack.)

SajuukKhar said:
1. As the Portal 1 ending song states "I AM STILL ALIVE"
Notably, that was retconned, as ol' Gladdie was unconscious from the end of Portal until you reactivate her in Portal 2, per Portal 2.