Portal 2 Has Cross-Platform Play (between PS3 and PC/Mac)

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
I don't know if someone's already beaten me to it, but this only went up very recently on IGN.

Source: http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1144372p1.html

The first thing I think when I read this is that PS3 players will be at a disadvantage, but considering that there is only co-operative multiplayer means it won't be so hindering to PS3 players. Secondly, if the game is playable on consoles you'd assume the puzzles wouldn't be too difficult to execute using a controller anywho, rendering that point moot.

Personally, I think this is awesome that Valve is doing this. And further so that Sony isn't being all "closed-system" on it all. I would make a comment about Xbox Live's "walled garden" approach here, but if there's one thing The Escapist hates, it's flame-wars.

Thoughts? Opinions?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Portal one was on console, so I don't we'll have any troubles with complexity. But yeah, I caught this on my twitter feed from gamesindusty.biz. Looking pretty cool, I must say.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Heh, some of the comments on that page go about "PC players having an advantage playing against PS3 users" and "getting easy kills". Portal 2 is a CO-OP game, not another CoD game.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
I'm far more interested in the idea of anyone who buys a copy of Portal 2 for PS3 will then also have a copy on Steam if they link their PSN and Steam accounts together. Can't wait.