Portal 2 - Is it REALLY worth it?

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
This isn't a massive deep discussion of Portal 2 or anything, just a simple question.

I loved Portal 1, it was great, however at the moment money is pretty low for me due to having a damn child that needs something every 5 seconds so the little money I do have spare I like to make sure I spend it wisely.

So is Portal 2 worth the purchase? Is it worth the hour of shouting my girlfriend will do when she finds out I've wasted her shoe money on buying a game?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
You could always buy two copies, one for you and one for your girlfriend...

And yes, if you loved the original it is worth it. Though you may want to wait like six months for an inevitable steam sale if money is that much of an issue.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
Sounds like which game you should buy is the least of your issues, man.

But if you must have an answer, i would say it's one of the best purchases you could make right now.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I'd say... Yes.
It is worth it.
Because it's sold out at every damn games store in my area (I guess that's what I get for being overseas at the time of a big game release.)
The huge amount of people who caused it to be sold out thought it was worth it, that's for sure.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
if its spare money then sure its worth it, i enjoyed about 12 hours of it before deciding i was done with it.

if the baby needs new stuff, then give it to the baby, you brought it into this world, you take responsibility for it.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Yes, Yes it will be worth it a 6-8 hour campaign with some of the best writing in gaming. and a great 5ish hour Co-Op campaign which you could do with your girlfriend since its a puzzle game and not a "game game" (if you get what i mean) it could be a good bonding thing.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
if its spare money then sure its worth it, i enjoyed about 12 hours of it before deciding i was done with it.

if the baby needs new stuff, then give it to the baby, you brought it into this world, you take responsibility for it.
It's 100% spare money. My baby ALWAYS comes first, and he's all stocked up on what he needs, bills have been paid, and my extra money is just sitting in my bank. Taunting me.

So yeah, screw it. I'll go buy it. Thanks guys :D

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
God yes.
Hours of enjoyment, both on the PS3 AND the PC.

I honestly can't get enough. Lmfao, forget study :3

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
If you are going to buy a video game any time soon, buy Portal 2. Shoes be damned, if there is extra money left after important things then this is catastrophically more important than shoes.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Buy it goddammit. If you love good fun gameplay, awesome humor, innovative puzzles, good writing and a great story, BUY THE GODDAMN GAME. NOW.

saxxon.de

Apr 18, 2011
Finished the single player for the 4th time yesterday. First run was just playing it (in german), on the 2nd run I got all the SP Trophys, then I played it in english and the 4th run was with the developer commentaries turned on. So I'm at around 30 hours of gameplay and haven't even played multiplayer because .. y'know .. PSN sucks atm.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
As with most linear first/third person games, the amount of content might be an issue. Unless you're really into it, you'll likely be done with it in 8 hours. But if you were one of those people, you'd probably already own.

That said, it's a truly surprising game where I feel guilty even hinting at the stuff past the first third. My advise, keep an eye out for sales. You definitely want to play it but likely not for $60.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Personally, I think it's DEFINITELY not worth 60 dollars.
It's worth about 30 in my opinion, I mean it's good but it's not that good. If you've played Portal 1 there's almost no point.
There's some nice seqeunces, good jokes and clever puzzles but it doesn't live up to Valve's standards, let alone the hype.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
imho, i would wait for price drop, i dunno, 30-40?

but it is really a great game, if i fail this year (exams.....) i WILL blame portal 2
its at least just as funny as first so yeah, no disappointment here.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
PoisonUnagi said:
It's worth about 30 in my opinion
Ive bought it for 35 dollars. Before you get it from Steam, check if you cant get a box, or just a cdkey cheaper somewhere else.

But no, its totally worth the full retail price.

gussy1z

Aug 8, 2008
$60 for like 6-7 hours of gameplay... not really worth it. for me theres no reason to play through the game again.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Totally worth it. I've played through it twice on single, and once and a half again on co-op. Totally worth it.

MolotoK

Jul 16, 2008
I'd definitely wait till they reduce the price.

The story is great, but the puzzles are just way too easy (I blame console gamers!).
What's the point of a puzzle game that doesn't challenge you? Let's hope community content and DLC fixes this.

As it is now you'll only get 6-7hours of singleplayer and 3-4hours of multiplayer gameplay out of it.