Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
Gamestop marketing is probably trying to keep their retail relevant by attempting to offer a deal that is attached to a highly anticipated game that would otherwise (probably) be mostly ordered through Steam. This Gamestop deal made me think of this old Penny Arcade strip:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/3/30/

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
pshshshshshsh......they could offer free blowjobs with every preorder, ill still buy it from steam

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
This preorder exclusive crap is getting old gamestop just needs to stick to selling games and not new ways to squeeze full price purchases out of people.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I wish they would sdoing this stuff its getting old ... its allready old ... has been quite some time.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Well, their info is wrong. I pre-ordered L4D2, and in addition to getting a discount for preordering, I also got money off for buying the 4-pack, so I only payed about $40, and I got the baseball bat and Bill's Hat.

They obviously are wrong on this, nothing that Gamestop can offer will beat what you can get from pre-ordering from Valve.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Z of the Na said:
If we preorder the game on Steam, can we still obtain the new "bots?"

Or is this for the retail version only?
I sure as hell hope it applies to Steam, too. Maybe Valve will have another cross-game promotion in TF2 for pre-ordering it.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Wow..... thats kind of evil. "You don't get co op unless you preorder SO HAHA to all the guys who cant preorder!"
Um, no, there'll still be co-op no matter how you buy it, it's just that pre-ordering gives you some small extra that's probably completely cosmetic.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Save money and get more content for pre-ordering?

Take notes, game companies. This is how you get people to buy new.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
What's this? If you pre-order an anticipated game at GameStop, you get a special in-game model for the multiplayer mode? STOP THE PRESSES!

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
The same deal was offered for Left 4 Dead 2 last November, so it may become a regular thing as GameStop tries to attract Valve-heads to buy their games in retail stores instead of from Valve's digital delivery service Steam.
The same deal was offered directly on Steam, though.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I'm going to wait to see what the preorder offer is on Steam. But this deal does sound cool. Curse you GameStop and your evil temptational ways!
erbkaiser said:
I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.
So you are complaining about getting something extra for a lesser price than if you bought it at release, and instead would rather pay extra for the extra? That's some very skewed logic, friend.
Irridium said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?
Because some of us have crappy internets.

Plus, nothing beats the new-game smell.
That needs to go on one of those car fresheners that also come with new car smell. Though that could backfire and bring out a gamer's inner Nico Bellic when s/he goes off to work.
Last Bullet said:
I guess it depends on what kind of "custom" we're talking here... And whether or not it's also available from Steam. What was the pre-order thing for L4D2?
Baseball bat. Sounded cool at the time but the other melee weapons feel more satisfying in the game. I have yet to see a map made with a baseball diamond in it.
Jaded Scribe said:
I also love how the Valve fanboys are ignoring the fact that Valve developed these extras for GameStop, while not offering the same to their customers on Steam.

I love Valve, and I think they're a great company, but this isn't all on GameStop.
There is going to be a preorder offer with Steam prepurchase. Gamestop is jumping the ball as much as they are because they are attention whores. Both EA, Apple, and Sony are probably going to jump the ball early with their own offers(EA=360 version, Apple=Mac Version, and Sony=PS3*). They know quite well how well Portal 2 is going to sell ginormously and are eager to get their own release sold ahead of time. Valve has better tact than all of these groups combined, so be patient and you will hear what Steam offers in plenty of time.
*I hope Kevin Butler does the PS3 release of Portal 2 promotion. *crosses fingers*

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Enigmers said:
The same deal was offered for Left 4 Dead 2 last November, so it may become a regular thing as GameStop tries to attract Valve-heads to buy their games in retail stores instead of from Valve's digital delivery service Steam.
The same deal was offered directly on Steam, though.
That is true, but since then preorder deals have become more varied between who is distributing the game. We will see by Christmas or the first of the year if that becomes true for Portal 2.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Here's my guess: Valve's obsessive fixation on hats has spread from Team Fortress 2 to Portal, and there'll be some fezzes or something on the co-op bots.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?
Not all people buy games for PC.
Doesn't need to be PC now...already got the Mac/PS3.

Plus, in a case like New Vegas, I preordered from Best Buy because the bonus was better, and some people like having the physical disc (not to mention you can't get a CE from Steam, like I wanted with NV).
But Fallout isn't made by Valve; Portal is.
There is still 360, and I didn't even know they had Steam on Mac or how it would even work.

Second thing, you completely missed the point. Seems like a response I'd get from Microsoft: completely true and accurate, but it has absolutely nothing to do with that I said. I preordered it from somewhere else because it had a better deal with it, and I wanted the collectors edition (doubt Portal will have a CE). Plus some people prefer physical copies of games rather than digital. Neither of those reasons have anything to do with who made the game. [small]Same idea though since both require Steam[/small]

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Wow..... thats kind of evil. "You don't get co op unless you preorder SO HAHA to all the guys who cant preorder!"
Uhhh... you may wanna go back and read that article. It doesn't say co-op is only available through pre-order, just that some co-op skins will be available through pre-order.
OT: I have to go to fucking college next September, so I hope they come out with a release date soon so I know whether or not I should pre-order. If you're out there, Valve, please come out with this game before Summer 2011.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
Le Snippity
In response to your response to me: I said that a couple posts down from there. Yes, GameStop has an exclusive that you aren't going to get going anywhere else. But odds are good you will get something from your venue of choice, so simmadownnao.