Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
As for game length, Portal was gold, and I believe with the added ideas in Portal 2, this will be gold too, I trust Valve have playtested and it's just long enough to offer optimum pleasure without outstaying its welcome.

We've all played 40 hour games where 30 of those hours are relentless padding, are they somehow better for it?

I'll no doubt end up waiting for at least 33% off in a sale before I go for it anyways, as I don't remember the last time I paid more than £10 for a game, ah yes, GTA IV set me back £18 on Steam.

I think it'll still have to dip under £20 before I go for it thom despite being sure I'll love it, as like so many, I'm on pretty limited income.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?
For the console versions of course. Otherwise that's a great point.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm sad that valve caved into gamestop's corporate bullshit money pushing.
I remember the days when you bought a game you bought the fucking game. You didn't need to pre-order it, you didn't need to spend $70 on DLC packs and everyone was equal.

You bought the game and you played it and that was it, done deal. The rich kids didn't get super duper in game items with their collectors editions and pre-order bonuses would have seemed like the craziest fucking idea in the world.

Feb 13, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
There is still 360,
True.
and I didn't even know they had Steam on Mac or how it would even work.
Kinda big thing - 4 months now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100633-Steam-for-Mac-Sets-Portal-Free-UPDATED]
Second thing, you completely missed the point.
Hit another point, but I wasn't sure where you were driving.
Seems like a response I'd get from Microsoft:
Oooh, are you looking for a fight? ;)
I preordered it from somewhere else because it had a better deal with it,
This is the bit that totally weirds me out. How can a second-party retailer have a better deal than the first party manufacturer? That was my original point - and one that's not been answered fully yet.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
How can a second-party retailer have a better deal than the first party manufacturer? That was my original point - and one that's not been answered fully yet.
Because if they don't get all pampered and basically given free money, they throw a hissy fit at some trade commission about DD damaging retail and Valve gets banned.

Kind of how Intel was forced to pay a billion dollars because AMD whined about unfair trade because Intel was simply making better CPU's that year.

Fair trade laws are fair to those who made them.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Irridium said:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?
Because some of us have crappy internets.

Plus, nothing beats the new-game smell.
Absolutely!

Besides, there are several feet of unused airspace above my game pile I have to fill up!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Jaded Scribe said:
Yes, GameStop has an exclusive that you aren't going to get going anywhere else.
This statement will probably wind up being untrue. As I said before, expect Valve to announce this deal everywhere, it's just the GameStop jumped that gun.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
I'm going to wait to see what the preorder offer is on Steam. But this deal does sound cool. Curse you GameStop and your evil temptational ways!
erbkaiser said:
I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.
So you are complaining about getting something extra for a lesser price than if you bought it at release, and instead would rather pay extra for the extra? That's some very skewed logic, friend.
No, I am "complaining" that since that store does not have any stores in my country, I am being locked out of content that will probably be on the disk anyway.
I don't care if some stores manage to get Valve to offer them special deals, but the content should be available for everyone.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Last Bullet said:
I guess it depends on what kind of "custom" we're talking here... And whether or not it's also available from Steam. What was the pre-order thing for L4D2?
Baseball bat but it was hard to enforce on that kind of game and it meant that if one person in the group had the bat then the whole group could use it for that game.

OT: Knowing steam they will probably give the same pre-order bonus (since Valve made these bonus's and Steam is their store) and add in a few more.

Mar 9, 2010
WolfLordAndy said:
I would expect Valve to give people who preorder something similar if not better tbh... what is with all the Gamestop exclusives anyway, we don't even have Gamestop in the UK :/ (except for one in Birmingham, for some reason.)
Usually we get these kind of offers later. They release the pre-order exclusives in America then they do them over here. It's usually Game, Gamestation, Play.com and Amazon that gets them.

OT: Yeah, bring them to the UK, NOW!

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I have retail copies of The Orange Box and L4D2 because they were cheaper at the time through Amazon than Steam, because Amazon had them discounted when I was looking to buy them and Steam did not. Even including waiting a couple days for the box to get shipped here, it ended up taking about the same time as it would've to download them with my blazing fast 1.5Mbps DSL. The vast majority of the time I end up getting even non-Valve stuff through Steam, because their sales are absolutely ridiculous, but occasionally someone else beats their prices, which I can't really complain about.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The thing I find ironic is that EVERY publishing company out there is throwing a huge fit about Gamestop's second-hand sales, and yet they show support to Gamestop by giving them these exclusive deals rather than, say, Best Buy or WalMart. Granted they've both been looking into the used games market too, but that's only recent where Gamestop has been getting these preorder deals for years now, I think.

It's like some old man yelling at the kids to stay off his lawn, but it's okay if they're messing-up his porch.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
and I didn't even know they had Steam on Mac or how it would even work.
Kinda big thing - 4 months now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100633-Steam-for-Mac-Sets-Portal-Free-UPDATED]
Oh duh, my bad... meant PS3... It had been a long day... >_>

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Jaded Scribe said:
Yes, GameStop has an exclusive that you aren't going to get going anywhere else.
This statement will probably wind up being untrue. As I said before, expect Valve to announce this deal everywhere, it's just the GameStop jumped that gun.
Again, GameStop is pretty tight with their exclusivity contracts. Chances are everywhere else will get similar, but not the same, DLC.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
erbkaiser said:
samsonguy920 said:
I'm going to wait to see what the preorder offer is on Steam. But this deal does sound cool. Curse you GameStop and your evil temptational ways!
erbkaiser said:
I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.
So you are complaining about getting something extra for a lesser price than if you bought it at release, and instead would rather pay extra for the extra? That's some very skewed logic, friend.
No, I am "complaining" that since that store does not have any stores in my country, I am being locked out of content that will probably be on the disk anyway.
I don't care if some stores manage to get Valve to offer them special deals, but the content should be available for everyone.
Self-entitlement is a poor feature for anyone to have. GameStop does have an online store, and other distributors will be offering the game as well(Walmart has done special content deals, as well as Best Buy). Now we don't know whether Steam's offer will be different, as this is the second big preorder deal coming out after L4D2's, so there is reason to believe that you will be able to get the same deal through Steam. But if it does turn out to be different I am willing to bet Valve's own preorder deal will be much yummier than simple bot customization. If not you will still get the deal, and you won't have to deal with GameStop, which in not doing so is a good deal in itself. You aren't missing out by not having a GameStop in your neighborhood.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I saw this when I was checking the release date earlier this week on the Gamestop website. It sucks that we don't know what "custom" means. Ah well, I may as well get this. Portal was awesome and hopefully this is too.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
How does Gamestop keep swinging these deals with developers while at the same time, killing the industry?