Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

GameStop is offering bonuses for the co-op portion of Portal 2 if the game is preordered.

two robots [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Pc/dp/B002I0JIQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284836138&sr=8-3] being tested by GlaDOS, people who preorder the game will also get "custom bots."

The only information revealed on this promotion is from the title's GameStop listing [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77276], so it may be a GameStop exclusive (we'll have to wait and see on that). As for what "custom bots" means exactly, that's unsure.

It could mean that preorders get to play as new types of robots other than the Laurel and Hardy, fat and skinny ones seen here in the extended co-op trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103389-Portal-2-Originally-Lacked-Portals] getting into suitable hijinx as they make their way through GlaDOS's deathtraps. Or, players might get to customize the look of the original two robots with varying color schemes, decals, parts, etc.

Preorders will also save $5 off of the game's original price, bringing it to $44.99 for the PC and $54.99 on the PS3 and Xbox 360. The same deal was offered for Left 4 Dead 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BRZ852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284836653&sr=8-1] last November, so it may become a regular thing for Valve games.

Feb 13, 2008
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I'm wondering if this game is going to be way bigger than the original if its coming in at retail price, where as the first was included with 4 other games and cheaper to buy

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
If we preorder the game on Steam, can we still obtain the new "bots?"

Or is this for the retail version only?

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I would expect Valve to give people who preorder something similar if not better tbh... what is with all the Gamestop exclusives anyway, we don't even have Gamestop in the UK :/ (except for one in Birmingham, for some reason.)

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Z of the Na said:

couldn't you just reskin them?

and my guess is that there prob reskins of Burt and Erny

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
erbkaiser said:
I'm really beginning to hate these pre-order extras. At least these should be available for a (very) small cost as DLC.
Why? GameStop is trying to entice people to purchase from there, rather than elsewhere. If they offered it as DLC, it completely defeats the entire purpose of offering the bonus.

The pre-order offerings are fun and cool, but are hardly necessary in the enjoyment of the game.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
Z of the Na said:

couldn't you just reskin them?

and my guess is that there prob reskins of Burt and Erny
That's the thing, I shouldn't have to. If Gamestop is providing preorder deals to the retail versions, shouldn't the actual company that made the damn game be providing the same extras for pre-ordering through Steam?

It's confusing, but not really a deal-breaker. I planned on pre-ordering Portal 2 through my Steam account.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Jaded Scribe said:
erbkaiser said:
Why? GameStop is trying to entice people to purchase from there, rather than elsewhere. If they offered it as DLC, it completely defeats the entire purpose of offering the bonus.

The pre-order offerings are fun and cool, but are hardly necessary in the enjoyment of the game.
Yeah, as long as pre-order bonuses don't directly effect the gameplay, it doesn't bother me...
Still I live in the UK so no pre order from there for me...

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I also love how the Valve fanboys are ignoring the fact that Valve developed these extras for GameStop, while not offering the same to their customers on Steam.

I love Valve, and I think they're a great company, but this isn't all on GameStop.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?
Not all people buy games for PC. Plus, in a case like New Vegas, I preordered from Best Buy because the bonus was better, and some people like having the physical disc (not to mention you can't get a CE from Steam, like I wanted with NV).

And $50? I'll probably wait for a half off sale or something. Looking at the dozen games I have to play that I haven't touched yet, lack of time to play between school, work, and homework, and the Steam Holiday sale that will probably happen again, this game will be on sale before I have time to get around to playing it anyway.

Feb 13, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Not all people buy games for PC.
Doesn't need to be PC now...already got the Mac/PS3.

Plus, in a case like New Vegas, I preordered from Best Buy because the bonus was better, and some people like having the physical disc (not to mention you can't get a CE from Steam, like I wanted with NV).
But Fallout isn't made by Valve; Portal is.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
I guess it depends on what kind of "custom" we're talking here... And whether or not it's also available from Steam. What was the pre-order thing for L4D2?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Portal 2 is going to be awesome, I can tell already!