Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

Valve says Portal 2 could be the developer's last single-player experience of its kind.

Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303825125&sr=8-1] features a seriously entertaining single-player experience that only a high-quality developer like Valve could deliver. Sadly, it might be the last of its kind from the company. In a behind-the-scenes feature focusing on the game, Valve evidently states that Portal 2 could be its last game designed purely for solo players.

Geoff Keighley's Final Hours of Portal 2 [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-final-hours-of-portal-2/id432031492?mt=8] iPad app, which includes all sorts of background information and assets related to the 3-year development of Portal 2, divulged the possibility. It includes a statement that says: "Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience."

Keighley writes that this information "comes from Valve" and wasn't dreamed up out of nowhere. He adds: "Keep in mind Valve said 'probably,' so I get the feeling that this could change."

The statement could have many meanings. First of all, it hints that this is the end for the Portal series, which despite a co-op mode in Portal 2 is inherently a single-player game. However, it doesn't mean that Valve is going to stop creating single-player games entirely, just games with what it deems an "isolated" single-player experience, meaning that other players might at least have the ability to jump in through a co-op feature or some other method.

It's definitely an interesting statement to think about considering how Valve is still working [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108821-Valve-Says-Hang-In-There-For-Half-Life-2-Episode-3] on the next iteration of the Half-Life series, which is also a single-player experience. Perhaps it won't be next time?

*Edit* The term "isolated" may be referring to the idea of the main character being alone in the game without NPCs, rather than actual human players, so this could be a misinterpretation of Valve's statement.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-25-is-portal-2-valves-last-single-player-game]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do this valve, single player games made you famous! jumping on the single player/ multi player bandwagon doesnt mean twice as much sales, it means less time devoted to each portion.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Now it's here too...

There has always been multiplayer in Valve games, only game they've made without multiplayer is Portal 1. Even Half-Life 1 had deathmatch =/

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
thefreeman0001 said:
whats this mean for half life 3
What does this mean for Episode 3?

OT: It would be a shame if that were true. I like multiplayer but my favorite games are mostly all single player.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, no. Not the horrors of multiplayer. Whatever shall we do?

Sober Thal said:
Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm
Caring about what, exactly? Here's a hint. Valve's a business. They "care" about money.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
uppitycracker said:
You heard it here first, folks. World of Portalcraft official announcement.
I'd play that. I'd seriously play that...

I'm rather disappointed by this... It really makes me wonder what they'll do with the Half Life franchise from here. They can't really make it a co-op only affair.

Now considerably confused. Thanks again Valve.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
I'm thinking the next Half Life will be a new engine, hence, that would be the main focus, but the story is always great no matter what.
I mean, source is pretty old now, definitely needs a good rest.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sober Thal said:
cough cough

Yeah. I'm loving Valve more and more now. Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm

EDIT: I want to type really nasty words here... really nasty.
Caring so much about what?

Half-Life 2 had a fucking multiplayer component (so did Half-Life I believe), quit your whining.

OT: This could mean anything from, "all games will include co-op and/or multiplayer", to, "Steam will have increased community functions to help share your singlplayer experiences".

People need to stop pissing their pants over a single sentence, that hasn't even been said to us by Valve in the first place.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Is this really that big a deal? There's only one Valve game that doesn't have any multiplayer function (Portal). Hell, looking at Valve's catalog of games (specifically Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2), they appear to do multiplayer focused games really well.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I'd love to see a creative concept about online gaming. We don't need more MMOs and Deathmatches.