Portal 2 Review

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Portal 2 Review

The indie darling returns in a AAA sequel, but is it still good enough for science?

Read Full Article

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
Thank you for the review, for science!
This is about what i expected, great but not amazing, i will still be picking this up, for science!

Metcarfre

Nov 20, 2008
Queue immediate complaints that you 'didn't really play it' because this was the 360 version.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Saw the video and the review. I am excited, hoping that the ARG for Steam pays off all in the name of SCIENCE!
As for the game, I'll just have to play it myself. Can't wait though.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Good enough for me. Can't wait to pick it up in the morning. Have yet to be let down by Valve.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I must ask, why review the 360 version of the game when its a primarily PC version, or even the new PS3 version to see how it stacks up?

OT: I expected the loading times thing because it happens with every Valve game

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
You use the term 'indie' a lot when describing Portal.

Portal isn't an indie game nor a 'pseudo-indie' game. In fact it was made by one of the largest studios in the PC market.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
About what I expected; it was always going to be difficult to try and make a fully fledged game of this.

Could you, or someone else, please go into a little more detail about the co-op mode. You seem to be hinting that it's the best bit of the game, but don't really talk about it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Russ Pitts said:
Portal 2 Review

The indie darling returns in a AAA sequel, but is it still good enough for science?

Read Full Article
Three times the originals length is vague. How long is the single player?

EDIT: Seriously, swear on your companion cube the single player is over 8 hours long. Please??

EDIT2: Nope. Short game.... thanks anyways Valve, maybe next time!

Ima842

Jan 8, 2011
I'm going to pick this up when I have the money. I was hoping that the levels could be a little more difficult than the first one.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Staring at the count down, 18 minutes left at this time I'm posting. HURRY UP. (for SCIIEEENCE)

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
So they made the puzzles easier, eh, that statement alone has pretty well curbed my enthusiasm for this new installment.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zenode said:
I must ask, why review the 360 version of the game when its a primarily PC version, or even the new PS3 version to see how it stacks up?

Judge a product by its weakest link, this case being the 360 version.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
ZiggyE said:

Portal isn't an indie game nor a 'pseudo-indie' game. In fact it was made by one of the largest studios in the PC market.
Valve doesn't have a publisher, that's what an independent studio is. A studio, that is not dependent on a publisher.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, 2 more days for me to wait because for some reason the rest of the world still doesnt get theese games at least at the same time as America.

Iron Lightning said:
So they made the puzzles easier, eh, that statement alone has pretty well curbed my enthusiasm for this new installment.
Theres bound to be a challenge mode. Valve wouldnt leave that out would they?

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Aw, what? The puzzles are easier? That's horribly, horribly disappointing, especially since the first one was already really easy. I'm picking it up in two hours as it is, but that's sad news to hear before doing so.

And just a note, the constant "SCIENCE!" in the video review was cute at first, but then it rapidly got a bit annoying. Maybe spread it out a bit next time.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
SCIENCE!

I'm looking forward to it, I am.

On a side note, is that a potato attached to the portal gun? Heh.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:

Valve doesn't have a publisher, that's what an independent studio is. A studio, that is not dependent on a publisher.
I thought the first portal was made by a college kid, then Valve backed/bought him. I'm pretty sure portal wasn't a Valve idea, but they made it better.

I would call it an Indie game backed by a Big company that isn't a mega corp. But that's just me.

EDIT: "Portal is Valve's spiritual successor to the freeware game Narbacular Drop, the 2005 independent game released by students of the DigiPen Institute of Technology; the original Narbacular Drop team is now employed at Valve"

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Metcarfre said:
Queue immediate complaints that you 'didn't really play it' because this was the 360 version.
What, thats not a fair complaint?

What if a person haqd based their Orange Box review on the Ps3 version, would that still have been fair?

There's a known difference in quality between the 360 and Ps3 & PC versions of this game, so wouldn't that mean a seperate review would be appropriate?

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:

I thought the first portal was made by a college kid, then Valve backed/bought him. I'm pretty sure portal wasn't a Valve idea, but they made it better.

I would call it an Indie game backed by a Big company that isn't a mega corp. But that's just me.

EDIT: "Portal is Valve's spiritual successor to the freeware game Narbacular Drop, the 2005 independent game released by students of the DigiPen Institute of Technology; the original Narbacular Drop team is now employed at Valve"
Valve developed this game, they have no publisher, making them independent and the game an independently developed game.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
SL33TBL1ND said:
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:

Valve developed this game, they have no publisher, making them independent and the game an independently developed game.
Okay, I see what you're saying. Let us all stop and thank the Narbacular Drop team for the idea tho : )

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
You do not mention the tf2 hats that carry over into portal 2? [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847372]

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
gigastar said:
Well, 2 more days for me to wait because for some reason the rest of the world still doesnt get theese games at least at the same time as America.

Iron Lightning said:
They very well might do so in the name of increasing "accessibility." You know how companies are about that sort of thing nowadays.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Sober Thal said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:

Okay, I see what you're saying. Let us all stop and thank the Narbacular Drop team for the idea tho : )
Of course, I tip my hat to them!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:

Iron Lightning said:
They very well might do so in the name of increasing "accessibility." You know how companies are about that sort of thing nowadays.
I think the rule was 'Bigger audience/Loyal audience'. Get used to it, or hunt down some certain pre-2007 Capcom games and enjoy the finger wrecking difficulty.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:

Iron Lightning said:
Metcarfre said:
Zenode said:

it begins

what's wrong with accessibility? i couldn't get into portal 1 because i just couldn't wrap my head around the way the physics and whatever worked. Besides, is anything wrong with more people just having fun with something?

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:

Iron Lightning said:
it begins

what's wrong with accessibility? i couldn't get into portal 1 because i just couldn't wrap my head around the way the physics and whatever worked. Besides, is anything wrong with more people just having fun with something?
...Well it wasn't that hard. I replayed through the main campaign with my 10 year old sister solving most of the puzzles while I did the tricky platforming. If you had trouble wrapping your head around the mechanics of the original Portal then you'll likely have even more trouble with this new installment because of the many new physics manipulating things. Which is why I said "accessibility," it's not really more accessible to newcomers but it is much less challenging. The two are not mutually exclusive, Galaga is very easy to get into but get a few levels deep and it's rather tricky.

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
So what your saying is that this game was good enough for science, but not aperture science?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Alex Berry said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
dtthelegend said:
whats with the "SCIENCE!" thing?
Dr. Insano, most likely. He helped turn SCIENCE! into a meme.
Let's not forget about Thomas Dolby.
Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!

OT: If he'd reviewed it on PC, I bet the loading times wouldn't have been an issue.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Paragon Fury said:
Wait...so Portal 2 gets 4 stars, but DAII got 5 stars?

What the hell happened here?
Different person doing the review. That means different opinions.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
rembrandtqeinstein said:
3 times as long as the first game, so 4.5 hours?
I think he (Russ) went to sleep for the night... I really want to know a first hand account of the single player length too. That kinda determines if I buy the game new, or from a friend who bought it on PS3 for the free PC version.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Memo to the fans: Please don't come crying to me when the game doesn't live up to your impossible expectations.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Russ Pitts said:
Portal 2 Review

Read Full Article
Three times the originals length is vague. How long is the single player?

EDIT: Seriously, swear on your companion cube the single player is over 8 hours long. Please??
Well considering that it took me a little over 3 hours to beat the first Portal, and Russ says that each act is as long as the first Portal, I'm willing to bet that the single player is almost 10 hours long. But of course, it is a puzzle game, so it will take as long as how good each player is at solving the puzzles.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Wow that review came out fast for still being a great review! Puzzles aren't as challenging huh? Glados is offline too? Hmmmmmmmmmm Looks like lots of new features though, and a cool co-op mode where you each control a hand? What's that? Jonathan Coulton has a NEW song in this??

SOLD.

Pleaseusethezendrum,pleaeusethezendrum....

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Load times virtually non-existent on a decent PC. So you can knock that negative off the list for the smart ones among us. :D

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Metcarfre said:
What ever, this is nothing. I am so exci ted about play ing Portal 2 with Move be cause that would be awe some.

/sarcastic deadpan voice

;p honestly, my friend got it (for 360) and I will be playing co-op with him in a day's time to see how the sequel measures up

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Xzi said:
Load times virtually non-existent on a decent PC. So you can knock that negative off the list for the smart ones among us. :D
well excuuuse me if I'm dumb cuz I only own a kinda old laptop that cries if I run anything modern lol

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Although the story is full of the same psychotic charm that made the original so much fun, it suffers from having too much game upon which to spread so little. ... But the interaction (or lack thereof) with a succession of disembodied voices wears out its welcome well before the end, leaving the puzzle platforming gameplay and ingenious new touches to carry the weight on their own.
Sir,
While I gather from this that the "soundtrack" became tedious, I otherwise find your review difficult to comprehend.

Paragraph one uses a metaphor, and extends that metaphor successfully. I strongly disagree with your choice of metaphor, but that happens.

Then there is paragraph six. "... too much game to spread so little." What?? What are we spreading? Is it too much game for too little psychotic charm? Or are we spreading fun around on the game? If its too much game and not enough fun, its perfectly acceptable to say that. We won't ridicule you for very long.

You go on to say "... leaving the puzzle platforming gameplay and ingenious new touches to carry the weight on their own." ... wait, what? I've missed something. Did you start a new metaphor? What is the weight in this metaphor? Was there supposed to be something else besides gameplay? If you're trying to say that "puzzle platform gameplay is carrying the weight of gameplay", then sure, I'll probably agree with you. At least until I can sort out whether or not "gameplay" was a metaphor for something else.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
duchaked said:
Xzi said:
well excuuuse me if I'm dumb cuz I only own a kinda old laptop that cries if I run anything modern lol
TBH I can't really count a healthy financial situation as an indicator of ones personal intelligence, I mean look at America... richest country in the world but one of the biggest gatherings of absolute idiots I have ever seen.
And since having an absolutely kickass gaming pc (which in gamer terms is simply "decent") is DIRECTLY tied to ones personal finance, unless that money was actually earned due to actually being some smart uni graduate in a kickass job earning tons of money to make a purchase of said PC actually viable I deem one who claims smartness for such a thing- unsmart indeed

Anyway regarding the review:

I am definitely interested now, I am glad to see that there has been more length added to the single player campaign, however if this transpires to be simple padding or artificial lengthening then I shall be upset, however I do not expect this from valve, my own personal disagreements with them aside, I know they are brilliant developers and a true industry leader, so I am more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I am looking forward to giving the co-op a spin as it looks like the most fun part of the game, as it appears that we will actually be given characters to play, rather than some random blank slate, which is incidentally my biggest pet peeve with valve games, why are their protagonists silent? it really makes no sense, I have no interest in half life because of this one thing, it ruins the immersion for me. Anyway, I have digressed- yeah the co op looks incredibly entertaining, not just because of the characters (atlas and p-body look hilarious) but also due to the interesting idea of dual portals as you just know that is going to lead to reaction checks where one player has to launch one portal at just the right time mid jump to allow the other player to get further etc, so yeah colour me interested.

I have seen the hats thing and, as always, it seems strange to me, I like the idea behind it, however it just seems a little bit off, given that the player only very rarely sees his avatar in game, and only one other person at a time will see it either, it makes sense in multiplayer games where you have true character customisation, such as in halo: Reach, where you create your own individual identity which makes you identifiable in game, which is important in not only a tactical sense, but also for the simple sake of personalisation, whereas in Tf2 your character customisation is so hamstringed that the primary change is his headwear, and even then you are simply working within the bounds of what you have been given by the game, with very little room to breathe, so personalisation is out, as is the aforementioned tactical identification as noting what the heavy on the enemy team with the most kills has on his head gives little benefit when every heavy looks the same apart from their hat and the hat that is being used was a level 3 achievement so even the low ranking players have it and there could be 3 other heavies on the same team with the same hat, so the system doesn't make any sense to me at all.
But valve ARE geniuses so they probably know something I don't.

Dice Warwick

Nov 29, 2010
The problem for "Portal 2" is that "Portal 1" did most of what you can do with the portal gun. It's like with "Half-life 2" Gravity gun, every game that came out after that, which had a gravity gun, everyone was already over it. And it's not like the game will be more fun with even harder puzzles, the best we can hope for is that the game has more personality.

I'm picking up my coppie as soon as the game-store opens, and I expect the game to be fun, with some really funny bits to it, the awesome I will save for Duck Nukem.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
9_6 said:
You do not mention the tf2 hats that carry over into portal 2? [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847372]
I... what... how... this.... sense.......... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS!!! I'm gonna get em all in Vintage too!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
tombman888 said:
9_6 said:
I... what... how... this.... sense.......... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS!!! I'm gonna get em all in Vintage too!
I'll take 10 for 8$ each :D

Sep 17, 2009
Sylocat said:
Memo to the fans: Please don't come crying to me when the game doesn't live up to your impossible expectations.
Why would fans come crying to you? Just curious. Are you an authority on the matter?

OT: I expected it to be easier for more widespread accessibility coupled with the elongated distribution. I just hope that the single player is longer, the servers are strong, and the co-op is super fun.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Nautical Honors Society said:
Why would fans come crying to you? Just curious. Are you an authority on the matter?
It's a paraphrased quote from Reddit's r/gaming.

But I can easily picture the fans bellyaching to anyone who will listen (and plenty of people who won't).

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
OutrageousEmu said:
Metcarfre said:

What if a person haqd based their Orange Box review on the Ps3 version, would that still have been fair?

There's a known difference in quality between the 360 and Ps3 & PC versions of this game, so wouldn't that mean a seperate review would be appropriate?
Zenode said:

The PC version wouldn't have even unlocked until tonight. Valve sent out the 360 copy for review to get around that. Most reviews (at least, ones that coincide with launch) will be based around that.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
So can someone explain to me the difference between PC and Xbox version? Cuz I've played Portal on 360 and seen it on PC and notice no difference.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Money dear boy.
Valve doesn't strike me as the type of company to threaten/bribe a website for a good review.
EA does.

Otherwise, the footage looks nice, might pick this one up.
I'll have a look at a few more reviews first though. Not sure I can trust the Escapist anymore for honest reviews.
Or, in a less paranoid world, how about the two were reviewed by different people who have different opinions on things, and we accept that there is no grand unifying objective scale of game development and what one person loves another person might find tiresome and vice versa.

The Escapist has never sold a review score or review in its half-decade of life. We certainly don't plan to start now.

(And, for the record, I'm loving Portal 2. There's that subjectivity at work).

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, I noticed the abundance of loading screens too. But I'm glad they aren't as long on the PC as they apparently are on the 360 version. They're probably there for 20 seconds max, and that might be exaggerating a bit (I didn't exactly time them). They don't last for minutes though, that's for sure.

Canadish said:
Money dear boy.
Valve doesn't strike me as the type of company to threaten/bribe a website for a good review.
EA does.
Really. Did you just say that here? Take a look around; this isn't IGN or GameSpot. This is the Escapist. Now please wait there and think about what you've said while I warm up the neurotoxin get the cake.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Metcarfre said:
To be fair, the reviewer seems to be reviewing the old one by reading the media rather than knowing anything about the game, so even playing a gimped version of this one is a step up. Indie darling? Like TF2 is an indie darling? Like HL2 is an indie darling?

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Portal 2 Review

Read Full Article
You forgot to say it works on Macintosh as well in the "platforms", or do you see PC as Mac and Windows?

Anyhow, nice read. A shame that Portal 2 isn't as awesome as Portal 1, but then, you can't outdo absolute perfection. To bad my current machine can't run it.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
John Funk said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Metcarfre said:

Zenode said:

The PC version wouldn't have even unlocked until tonight. Valve sent out the 360 copy for review to get around that. Most reviews (at least, ones that coincide with launch) will be based around that.
Didn't the PC version unlock about 3 hours ago? (still not enough time for a launch date review I guess)
It would have been interesting to see a PS3 comparison considering valve were bagging out the PS3 up until the Portal 2 announcement.

Maybe a future article relating to the differences in the future, because im still tossing up between the PS3 and PC versions?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
John Funk said:
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Money dear boy.
EA does.

I'll have a look at a few more reviews first though. Not sure I can trust the Escapist anymore for honest reviews.
Or, in a less paranoid world, how about the two were reviewed by different people who have different opinions on things, and we accept that there is no grand unifying objective scale of game development and what one person loves another person might find tiresome and vice versa.

The Escapist has never sold a review score or review in its half-decade of life. We certainly don't plan to start now.

Oooooh but...but...we love conspiracy theories!
Edit: They make us feel smart.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Thedutchjelle said:
You forgot to say it works on Macintosh as well in the "platforms", or do you see PC as Mac and Windows?
PC is Mac and Windows. PC is just an acronym for "personal computer", regardless of what Apple's terrible ad campaign tries to tell you. It was for YEARS before Apple started making those stupid commercials, and changing it just because they're snooty and only wait their computers to be referred to as "Macs" isn't going to fly (at least not with me).

Granted, I'm not in charge of the review. But if I was, that's what I would have meant by PC.

Zenode said:
Maybe a future article relating to the differences in the future, because im still tossing up between the PS3 and PC versions?
If you have a PS3, get it on PS3. PS3 copies will let you also get a PC copy to play as well (you just have to link up your Steam account to your PSN account, which is apparently only done on a PS3).

Just be aware that you can't play co-op between the free PC copy and the PS3 copy, as they are both tied to your Steam account, and you can't log into it from your PS3 and PC at the same time.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
John Funk said:
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Money dear boy.
EA does.

Lies and slander.

They bought you with a bagel and kind words. :/

And how dare you speak logic. Subjectivity is a nasty, vile word..... To Science.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It was a good review. And it was expected. And what I also expect once the sun comes up and everyone wakes up to read this, the thread will burst into flames because angry members of the Church of Freeman will be angry about two things:

1: It didn't get 5 stars. "Opinion" is a dirty word on the internet...

2: It was played on a console. They won't care if it was PS3 or 360, they will rage that it was on a console, period.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
I am 2 cool 4 anime said:
HAHAHA you poor guys,I had beaten the game 2 days ago...Piracy
Uh... piracy is *really* looked down upon in this forum, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a few days ban for admitting to it so blatantly.

I'm halfway through (?) the game at the moment, it's been worth every dollar. Very funny, very fun, and there are quite a few jaw dropping moments already.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
NOTE: Not playing well across all platforms is a bad thing. It loses points.
How much room does Portal 2 take to install? 'Cos that seems to be an easy fix for loading.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
They seem to have borrowed the gel idea from a freeware game called TAG. worth a look if you haven't played it already.

SCIENCE!!!!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
LGC Pominator said:
duchaked said:
Xzi said:
TBH I can't really count a healthy financial situation as an indicator of ones personal intelligence, I mean look at America... richest country in the world but one of the biggest gatherings of absolute idiots I have ever seen.
And since having an absolutely kickass gaming pc (which in gamer terms is simply "decent") is DIRECTLY tied to ones personal finance, unless that money was actually earned due to actually being some smart uni graduate in a kickass job earning tons of money to make a purchase of said PC actually viable I deem one who claims smartness for such a thing- unsmart indeed

I am definitely interested now, I am glad to see that there has been more length added to the single player campaign, however if this transpires to be simple padding or artificial lengthening then I shall be upset, however I do not expect this from valve, my own personal disagreements with them aside, I know they are brilliant developers and a true industry leader, so I am more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I am looking forward to giving the co-op a spin as it looks like the most fun part of the game, as it appears that we will actually be given characters to play, rather than some random blank slate, which is incidentally my biggest pet peeve with valve games, why are their protagonists silent? it really makes no sense, I have no interest in half life because of this one thing, it ruins the immersion for me. Anyway, I have digressed- yeah the co op looks incredibly entertaining, not just because of the characters (atlas and p-body look hilarious) but also due to the interesting idea of dual portals as you just know that is going to lead to reaction checks where one player has to launch one portal at just the right time mid jump to allow the other player to get further etc, so yeah colour me interested.

I have seen the hats thing and, as always, it seems strange to me, I like the idea behind it, however it just seems a little bit off, given that the player only very rarely sees his avatar in game, and only one other person at a time will see it either, it makes sense in multiplayer games where you have true character customisation, such as in halo: Reach, where you create your own individual identity which makes you identifiable in game, which is important in not only a tactical sense, but also for the simple sake of personalisation, whereas in Tf2 your character customisation is so hamstringed that the primary change is his headwear, and even then you are simply working within the bounds of what you have been given by the game, with very little room to breathe, so personalisation is out, as is the aforementioned tactical identification as noting what the heavy on the enemy team with the most kills has on his head gives little benefit when every heavy looks the same apart from their hat and the hat that is being used was a level 3 achievement so even the low ranking players have it and there could be 3 other heavies on the same team with the same hat, so the system doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Nah, decent in this case is a $600 computer...that you bought four years ago. It's the Source engine. Not super taxing on your hardware. Which is why I find it amusing that load times are long on the 360. An investment of at least $500+ for most people in itself, lest I remind you. Consoles rarely fare any better in the cost department than PCs do given the price differences in games/peripherals.

It'd be stupid to buy ANY luxury item if you don't have the means to do so, including a console or gaming PC. That said, most everybody NEEDS a PC for one thing or another, whereas nobody truly needs a console. Throw an extra $200 into an existing PC, and boom, it's a PC capable of gaming and work/school needs.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Paragon Fury said:

Well I've been playing Portal II pretty much nonstop (just got off a few minutes ago) and I wouldn't say that Portal II deserves five stars (well actually maybe 4.5 stars, I'm not totally sure, I'm loving this game so much so far but there are things that I'm still not sure about that would take a bit of playing to figure out)

But you still make a good point though, Dragon Age 2 should have gotten a 3 or 3.5 (or at least a 4...)

Makes me wonder how the review system works

Then again I suppose reviewing can never be completely unopinionized/biased or perfect

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
John Funk said:
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Money dear boy.
EA does.

Yay! Go John Funk! It gets annoying that just because something is successful and you have a different opinion that it means they're evil and sold out. especially since he has no proof and is making baseless accusations!

OT: I don't really care if the puzzles are easier, I'm mostly getting it for Valve's awesome sense of humour. :p

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
I installed the game to my 360, and it only takes about 5 seconds to load between levels.
I'm installing it to my hard drive straight away. It is joining Red Dead Redemption and Halo Reach in the awesome games that get installed to hard drive!

Nobody shun my love for Halo Reach. I was way too obsessed with the multiplayer for a time.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Hmm, I might pick this one up and give it a go.

Oh and with all due respect: the entire "SCIENCE!" thing got annoying after the second time.

PS: I hope there's cake.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Indie game? I was under the impression that Indie meant "Independent". Like Solar or ancient trader... does Portal actually count as Indie?

So...
1st act is portal again
2nd act is cool
3rd act is cooler

Co-op is always awesome.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
Alex Berry said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
dtthelegend said:
Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!

OT: If he'd reviewed it on PC, I bet the loading times wouldn't have been an issue.
They still would be.
I'm playing through it now, and there are a huge number of loading screens. Usually one between each test chamber.
On PC, chances are the loading times would be shorter, but no less numerous.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Speakercone said:
They seem to have borrowed the gel idea from a freeware game called TAG. worth a look if you haven't played it already.
Valve hired the developers of Tag to work on Portal 2.

The loading screens in Portal 2 are rather jarring at times. I can only guess why Valve didn't go with their usual method of freezing time for a few seconds while the next level loaded. That method is a lot less abrupt than what they've chosen to do here. There are several instances where you're moving along a seemingly open path and then Loading Screen, only to be transported back to the same path after the loading screen. It's a fairly poor design decision in a sea of inspiration.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Wow it actually sounds kinda sucky. I was hoping this one would be a lot more story heavy and not just a pointless test chamber rush, as well as a lot more difficult.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the review.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Dexiro said:
Wow it actually sounds kinda sucky. I was hoping this one would be a lot more story heavy and not just a pointless test chamber rush, as well as a lot more difficult.

It is a lot more story heavy and has more than a dozen cruel puzzles.

Russ is just a terrible writer.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
fenrizz said:
But only in the co-op, right?

Or did I read the review wrong?
No, she's a major character in single-player, Russ is just an abysmal writer, so don't blame yourself for thinking that she wasn't.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Flamma Man said:
fenrizz said:
But only in the co-op, right?

Or did I read the review wrong?
No, she's a major character in single-player, Russ is just an abysmal writer, so don't blame yourself for thinking that she wasn't.
Excellent!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Just 4 more hours until I'm off work for the day!

Oh joy

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
Not as challenging? Four stars? Seriously?

I just finished it, yeah, it wasn't portal 1, and although it wasn't quite as original it improved on the original in every conceivable way, sure as fuck beat out Dragon Age II, which was given 5 stars.

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
Dexiro said:

It has so much more story it's insane, if the review said it's not more story focused he's crazy, there's probably 20x as much dialogue and development going on.

ThirdPrize

May 14, 2009
They should really have got Stephen Merchant to just voice the tall robot and then got Ricky Gervais to voice the short fat one.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Selvec said:
I have the strongest urge to kick the reviewer square in the ball sack.
Why? If there are spoilers in the video version don't tell me as I didn't watch it in case.

I haven't played it yet and can already find flaws in the arguments used: Who really cares if it's Triple A or Indie unless they are pretentious? If it's fun then that's all that matters, and loading times are shorter if the game is installed on the Xbox, not forgetting that unless you are reviewing a game exclusively for a platform (as opposed to that platform just being the one you happen to try, like suggested), then issues such as that should be ignored as they don't affect other platforms.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
2: It was played on a console. They won't care if it was PS3 or 360, they will rage that it was on a console, period.
Sure there will be the "elitists" who will kick and scream it was reviewed on a console. For myself, I could care less if it was reviewed for PC or console but it is a bit asinine to review the "inferior" version that is lacking the extra features that come with steam.

I have an idea! Let's discard all the praise for Starcraft and re-review it based solely on the N64 version.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
danpascooch said:

I just finished it, yeah, it wasn't portal 1, and although it wasn't quite as original it improved on the original in every conceivable way, sure as fuck beat out Dragon Age II, which was given 5 stars.
I'm confused. John Walker gave a completely different review on RPS, especially about the difficulty of the puzzles...

Twilightruler

Jul 3, 2009
I'm going to have to say this review is relatively sub-par. I found that a lot of the challenges required a lot more thinking and figuring than the original Portal. However, they were not as difficult in execution (which is very likely due to me having beaten the original Portal about 6-7 times, 3 of them speed runs). I found myself very interested and involved with the story (which is incredibly expanded upon in this over the first one). The dialogue was very funny. And you actual feel quite immersed in the whole ordeal. You'll learn a whole lot more about Aperture, its past, Glados, her past and maybe even a little of Chell's if you catch it.

Also as a reference guide for the length of this game. I personally beat it in about 5-5 1/2 hours. Can't comment on the co-op length although I expect to play it soon. Overall, highly recommend this game. Improves over the first Portal in pretty much every conceivable way and it's just a ton of fun.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Paragon Fury said:

As much as I loved DAII - it really shouldn't of gotten a 5 star, maybe a 4. And portal 2 being non-challenging? From what I saw in gameplay trailers, that shit was even more challenging than anything in Portal 1! (I beat all the challenged maps within an hour or two on P1).

Oddgo

Jul 20, 2010
I just played through the Single Player. I would like to underline some of the statements made in this review with a big marker, but instead I will say this.
Portal was nearly perfect in my eyes. Portal 2 is fresh and interesting, but it simply could not make lighting strike the same spot again.

The game reminded me of Yahtzee's review of...
(Pretty strong spoilers, handle with caution)
Condemned 2: Bloodshot. I was ready to name this my game of the year, but sadly the story, characters, and game play all began to wear very thin towards the end. And the big twist felt like a slap in the face when I found out Valve was being serious. The ally goes rogue, betrays you, and you "switch sides". I died a little inside at that.

My only suggestion to try and help people enjoy it better; do WHATEVER is necessary to not compare it to the original. It stands alright alone, but it can barely be seen in the shadow of its predecessor.

Wither

Nov 19, 2009
i'm slightly worried. i'm well into the second act, but they haven't mentioned the excursion funnel at all in act 1 or yet in act 2. does the xbox have a different order or is the review just a little rushed?

Twilightruler

Jul 3, 2009
Wither said:
i'm slightly worried. i'm well into the second act, but they haven't mentioned the excursion funnel at all in act 1 or yet in act 2. does the xbox have a different order or is the review just a little rushed?
The review was just wrong on that part. The funnels don't come into play until the beginning of "Act 3".

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Legion said:
Selvec said:
I have the strongest urge to kick the reviewer square in the ball sack.
Why? If there are spoilers in the video version don't tell me as I didn't watch it in case.
There's at least one mechanic spoiler in that review not covered by the official trailers, plus at the end there was a bit of what I presume was a trailer covered hap-hazardly with a large "Spoiler" box for teh lolz.

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
I just played the singleplayer campaign on Pc and, just 3 acts on xbox?
I think we had like 5 or 6 on Pc, furthermore the background ~is~ explained, of course you need to have some common sense, knowing that human buildings are incredibly fast lived and without proper maintain will rot rather quickly, add that to a bunch of weird experiments and possible plantgrow and you got yourself the reason.

I however think that the riddles and puzzles are much more variety and harder than the original, I mean the original had almost no hard puzzles, in the main game, lets not take the challenges here into consideration, as that would be unfair, several times I had to stop and think about the steps I need to take, in portal you honestly just take one look and just finished the rooms.

I really liked the humor in this aswell and it finally made sense why portal was all about potatoes.

I'm in Space !

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Wabblefish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Well I've been playing Portal II pretty much nonstop (just got off a few minutes ago) and I wouldn't say that Portal II deserves five stars (well actually maybe 4.5 stars, I'm not totally sure, I'm loving this game so much so far but there are things that I'm still not sure about that would take a bit of playing to figure out)

But you still make a good point though, Dragon Age 2 should have gotten a 3 or 3.5 (or at least a 4...)

Makes me wonder how the review system works

Then again I suppose reviewing can never be completely unopinionized/biased or perfect
Of course it can't be unopionized, a review IS an opinion thats all it is just a reviewer expressing his opinion on the game, the guy who did DA2 thought it was perfect but the guy who did portal did not, simple.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Hairetos said:
So can someone explain to me the difference between PC and Xbox version? Cuz I've played Portal on 360 and seen it on PC and notice no difference.
PC and ps3 get cross platform co-op, xbox doesn't

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Paragon Fury said:

I once saw Roger Ebert give thumbs down to Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" and thumbs up to "Benji the Hunted" on the same episode of "At The Movies". He expected more from Stanley Kubrick and was disappointed. Benji was clearly a bit of family film fluff that nobody remembers, but it did what it was supposd to so well that he recommended it. Lion cubs being hunted by eagles vs. "This is my weapon, this is my gun..."

I think Valve was held to a higher standard here. Personally, I've spent more time watching/rewatching Cave Johnson's four Investment Opportunity commercials than watching my wife play DA2. The only way I'd be interested in Hawke is if you put a "Hudson" in front of it.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
There is a reason why I said that Portal 2 needs many bonus levels which would be Nintendo Hard.
Well, if you play portal, you can see why. :p

Skade

Mar 27, 2009
Clankenbeard said:
Paragon Fury said:

I once saw Roger Ebert give thumbs down to Stanley Kubric's "Full Metal Jacket" and thumbs up to "Benji the Hunted" on the same episode of "At The Movies". He expected more from Stanley Kubric and was disappointed.
Actually, this is quite understandable for me. I didn't find "Full Metal Jacket" very good. It is sharply cut in two almost distinct parts and mostly admired because of production values and some really edgy characters. The film as a whole is underwhelming and doesn't have much of a message, especially compared to other films of both Kubrick and the Era.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
No metion of the platform crossing?
hope you guys make a seperate video for the Co-op review

Skade

Mar 27, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:

They do have a publisher for retail (EA at the moment, Vivendi Universal before). They are not _owned_ by a publisher. Thirdly, Valve is an oddball, as they also act as a Publisher through Steam.

But I would not call them an Indie developer[1] though, as the "indie group" of game developers is usually associated with small developer groups with finite resources.

[1] Although its strictly true.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Flamma Man said:
I hate Russ Pitts' reviews, they're so dull and uninformative since all he seems to do is list the features of the game without even going in depth about the mechanics, the art direction, how it effects gameplay, etc.

Seriously, it's so dull and uninteresting it's nauseating.

Oh, and the best part is that he says, "Without spoiling too much...," then of course he shows [SNIP]
Actually, I stopped watching the review as soon as the "Spoiler Alert" came up. I had no clue what was going to happen in game until I read your post. You sir, were the first spoiler for me. IRONIED!

No big whoop. It doesn't bother me. But, you might "spoiler" your post to avoid flaming from other forum purists. Cheers.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I was worried that the gameplay might 'drag on' once the sequel was to become a full fledged game. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to playing this and I am currently eagerly awaiting my shipped pre-ordered copy,

magicpokey

Jul 27, 2010
You know, I don't read comments much, but I gotta say, the last line in the video from glados made me laugh so hard a noodle came out my nose. I was kinda meh on this game, content to wait for a steam sale or a retail price drop, but that line makes me want to go out and get it today.

"I think we can put our differences behind us. For science... You monster."

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah*GASP*hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Skade said:
Actually, this is quite understandable for me. I didn't find "Full Metal Jacket" very good. It is sharply cut in two almost distinct parts and mostly admired because of production values and some really edgy characters. The film as a whole is underwhelming and doesn't have much of a message, especially compared to other films of both Kubrick and the Era.
DERAILED! Agreed on all points. It paled compared to his other 1980's masterpiece The Shining. (Damn, Nicholson can pull off crazy like nobody else.) 2001:A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove (a personal favorite)--all much better films.

My point is that opinions are ALL subjective. (And I realize that your post is in no way an arguement against this.) People remember Full Metal Jacket. It was culturally distinct (like it or hate it) because of its director. Benji The Hunted has long since been forgotten. But that's the one Ebert gave a thumbs up to.

Portal 2. Could it live up to besting the original? Here's a question: Can anybody name a movie series in which the second installment was better than the first?

(I'll say Evil Dead 2, but that's a personal preference of campy horror over true indie horror. And let's be honest, Evil Dead 2 was really more of a remake of Evil Dead than a sequel.)

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I am so sorely disappointed by this game :( I didn't exactly have high hopes and it failed to reach them in spectacular fashion.

It's just not the same. It's not nearly as fun with the cut-away loading scenes (that have to happen every other minute. Seriously Valve, move past the micro-loading. It makes everything disjointed), the pain-in-the-ass Orb thing, the lack of enjoyable puzzles.

Not to beat an already bruised and dead horse: Valve could have spent this time making a game that is desperately wanted instead of making games that are essentially DLC.

Sorry, Valve. I'm just not impressed.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, I've only been playing for two hours (or so Steam says, it felt like an eternity), and I'm already up to...

...the underground area, where the Cave Johnson recording mentions the army of praying mantis men, presumably not far from the propulsion gel.

Either this game is longer than I thought, or I am just blitzing through it. O_O

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Someone tell me why they reviewed the Xbox version when it's the PS3 version that gets the steam and cross-platform features.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Avaloner said:
I think we had like 5 or 6 on Pc, furthermore the background ~is~ explained, of course you need to have some common sense, knowing that human buildings are incredibly fast lived and without proper maintain will rot rather quickly, add that to a bunch of weird experiments and possible plantgrow and you got yourself the reason.

I however think that the riddles and puzzles are much more variety and harder than the original, I mean the original had almost no hard puzzles, in the main game, lets not take the challenges here into consideration, as that would be unfair, several times I had to stop and think about the steps I need to take, in portal you honestly just take one look and just finished the rooms.

I really liked the humor in this aswell and it finally made sense why portal was all about potatoes.

I'm in Space !
Well, the trampoline room was difficult to pull off.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Co-op is awesome, if a bit short (I am however hoping for many many official map packs). The loading times on the PC are really not an issue, and I'm running a 3-year-old dual-core machine.(max graphical settings) It just takes a few seconds for me to load. Can't say I've found the puzzles any less challenging, since I didn't find the original portal's puzzles THAT hard (the normal ones anyway) and we've even found different approaches to the same problem in co-op (each with his own idea). Also orange sucked more. Definitely . Glados said so.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
"Reviewed with Xbox360 version"

What? No, no no no no no no no. You fucked up already! The 360 version is the WORST version you could buy! I was playing it last night (and I'm gonna continue playing it when I get back home) and while I do agree that there is WAY more loading, it took no more than 10 seconds at a time for me. I only went 30 minutes in before it was 1:30 in the morning and decided to go to sleep, and I love it already!

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
I'm only about a third of through (beginning of the second "act"), but so far I'm LOVING it.

The load-time issue may be a console thing. On my (admittedly fairly peppy) PC, the load screens are generally only a few seconds. I'll test it on the ol' iMac tonight (it's a bit longer in the tooth).

Regardless, I'm having a blast, and am thrilled to be back in the world of Portal!

(I just wish I didn't have to work to-day ... I'd probably be done by now, otherwise ... and on to co-op!)

~Cheers!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Russ Pitts:

"The co-op alone would be well worth full retail price..."
____________________________________________________________________________________

never mention these words to any developer, that'll be the one time their listening. Besides, it sounds too close to the excuse, "well people only buy fps's for the multiplayer therefore we don't have to care as much about the single player".

iamultraman

Nov 27, 2010
I did not play the original, so getting this seems to be necessary to preserve my compeers' respect. However I am familiar with the original storyline and retconning the original, in order to make a sequel, is a damnable, damnable thing. It's such a terribly uncreative act by the writers of this game when it has a reputation for innovation and inspiration. So...that really sucks, in short. Considering the protagonist, by the review, goes through the same motions as the first game. So what I am telling everyone's least-hated company is that it could have done better.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Zenode said:
John Funk said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Metcarfre said:

Zenode said:

Didn't the PC version unlock about 3 hours ago? (still not enough time for a launch date review I guess)
It would have been interesting to see a PS3 comparison considering valve were bagging out the PS3 up until the Portal 2 announcement.

Well, its pretty simple. Wth the PC version you get the PC version. With the Ps3 version you get the Ps3 version and the PC version.

If you have the chance to, its just the more sensible thing to get the Ps3 version.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Clankenbeard said:
Portal 2. Could it live up to besting the original? Here's a question: Can anybody name a movie series in which the second installment was better than the first?
Terminator, Godfather, Back to the Future, Spider-Man, the rebooted Batman series, X-Men, Superman, Toy Story, Disneys Amigos, Shrek, Friday the 13th, Star Trek, Star Wars, the Alien series, James Bond.......

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
ZiggyE said:

When Portal was released, it wasn't made specifically by the Valve guys, but just some college students (or something like that, if I recall). Valve merely dressed it up and shipped it out. I think that's why I've often heard it regarded as an "pseudo-Indie" sequel.

OT: Going to get it here in about an hour. Can't wait. Also, the fact that you say there are disappointing bits has me anticipating what Yahtzee will say when he sinks his teeth into this. :D

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I just played through the single player campaign. Steam says that I have 7 hours played, and I haven't touched on the Co-op yet (mainly because I don't have anyone to play it with).

I have to say that this was a good enough length, I think it would've gotten somewhat boring if it was drawn out longer. The puzzles are more complex but not really hard. Then again I don't really understand why the reviewer would think that the puzzles in the first game were hard in the first place. They seriously weren't.

The storyline is more engaging and at least just as hilarious as the first game. Stephen Merchant is simply brilliant, he shouldn't be regarded as "that pal of Ricky Gervais" after the phenomenal performance he did here. You get to learn more extensively about the history as well as the future of Aperture Science, Glados and even a bit about Chell.

Also, I didn't notice a single reference to cake, which is a good thing. However, I think this will spawn a ton-more references.

It's a solid campaign. I'm in space. [Slow clapping]

EDIT: To be more specific on how long the game took me: 7.4 hours apparently.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
WTF Russ? You always hug the big game reviews (well, being editor in cheif has advantages) and most of times you are over demanding, you friken liked halo ost(whateverletercomesnext) and have given "meh" reviews for Portal 2 and even HL2.

Are you not pleased?

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
bbad89 said:
Someone tell me why they reviewed the Xbox version when it's the PS3 version that gets the steam and cross-platform features.
And the difference between the versions in a release day review would be?

Sep 17, 2009
Sylocat said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
It's a paraphrased quote from Reddit's r/gaming.

But I can easily picture the fans bellyaching to anyone who will listen (and plenty of people who won't).
Well I can't argue with that haha

Sep 17, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Clankenbeard said:
Terminator, Godfather, Back to the Future, Spider-Man, the rebooted Batman series, X-Men, Superman, Toy Story, Disneys Amigos, Shrek, Friday the 13th, Star Trek, Star Wars, the Alien series, James Bond.......
You were correct until you said Toy Story and Shrek.

Toy Story One is too much of a classic to be overshadowed by anything and Shrek 2 was really bad.

OT: Portal 2 can't be the phenomenon portal 1 was but it can still be a good game on its own merit.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
I still felt that it was really sorta short... I dunno why... Maybe i'm just expecting a 60-hour playing time or something... :/

FYI: It took me about 10 hours to complete it.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
The levels just plain aren't as challenging, but the new toys and characters manage to distract enough from the cracks in the paint to keep the whole ride breezing along. It astounds in some ways and disappoints in others, which, while not perfect, is good enough for science.
Considering how easy the first Portal was, this is pretty sad news.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
I really dont agree with the review.
The puzzels were a LOT more challenging for me then the first portal and the number thing that annoyed me is that valve DOES explain why you are in a new room.The comic.You even find ratmans "mural" very early on.so it isn't "retconned".

Still its your opinion.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Halo Fanboy said:
The levels just plain aren't as challenging, but the new toys and characters manage to distract enough from the cracks in the paint to keep the whole ride breezing along. It astounds in some ways and disappoints in others, which, while not perfect, is good enough for science.
Considering how easy the first Portal was, this is pretty sad news.
And it's also not true. They are somewhat equal on the difficulty scale, but they're more complex. The learning curve to simple to complex is longer though since game is longer. So you might get a feeling that there's way more easy puzzles, which in it's own part is true but there's also way more of the harder puzzles.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Personally I'm waiting for the speed-runner backlash, since this one will not be as easy to speed run through. Took me about 8 hours the first time (on the PS3) and I could see cutting that down, but because some of the puzzles require some slow timing mechanics, I don't see P2 as having a speed run culture that bloomed around the original. Maybe thats just me though.

And while I did enjoy the game, it felt thin after 8 hours. I was ready for it to be over, I really just wanted the story resolution.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
SilverUchiha said:
When Portal was released, it wasn't made specifically by the Valve guys, but just some college students (or something like that, if I recall). Valve merely dressed it up and shipped it out. I think that's why I've often heard it regarded as an "pseudo-Indie" sequel.
It's more like, Valve liked the indie game Narbacular Drop and basically hired those guys to make it better, bringing in great writers as well. It's like how Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi on his own for peanuts, then Columbia gave him a few million to make Desperado, which is technically a sequel, but more like how Rodriguez would have made Mariachi in the first place if he had the money.

And frankly, just like Extra Credits said the game industry needs more of this: the big studios should find more talented indie guys, throw some money at them (but not enough to make the shareholders nervous) and let them work on riskier ideas than the usual safe AAA formulas. Original Portal is proof of concept.

Alex Berry said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
dtthelegend said:
Russ deafened me, with SCIENCE!

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I can't say I agree with the difficulty comment that a few people seem worried by, the puzzles in this game are much more complex and difficult than in the first game.

wolfchylde

Nov 19, 2010
Okay I'm still somewhere in Act1 and I have to say that the puzzles are NOT easier by any stretch, SOME puzzles will be a breeze for players of the original, but some require you to actually THINK before you start flying through the rooms.

I like games that make me think.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Guys, the puzzles are sightlier easier, but there are a few toughies that almost match up to the original games difficulty later throughout the chapter.
Also, the final boss is WAY more fun then it was the first time around, total, get this game if you loved portal or want to be introduced to something new.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I am picking this up on steam. I kinda knew I would be anyway. At least I am sure to be done with it before the Witcher 2 comes out and it should be a good time. Sadly my wife hates steam for losing her Plants vs. Zombie save games so many times so I will have to find someone else to play co-op with.

For those complaining about how long it is: If the whole time you are playing it you are 300% more entertained then a game that can be played out in three times the length I think you are even on that one. If not a bit ahead due to awesome moments. But hey, how much fun you get per hour is very subjective. I hope to be entertained more over the shorter time of the game. If Valve got that right I will sing their praises.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Maybe I'll pick it up but without a very good PC all of my experience with Valve games have been shit. I swear they're a great PC developer but they haven't made one good console title.

Judging from the people saying multiple times faster load times on the PC it looks like this is no different. Valve just can't make good console games. They can make OK ones. L4D was ok. But I haven't played one good Valve game on my 360.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
D_987 said:
I can't say I agree with the difficulty comment that a few people seem worried by, the puzzles in this game are much more complex and difficult than in the first game.
They are more complex. But at times I would think the puzzles might be more challenging if I hadn't played the first game. So, on that part, I kind of agree with Russ.

I probably like the story more than he seems to. It didn't delve deep enough into the back story for me, but I enjoyed the dialogue for the most part. At the end is the only part I didn't like because the characters got a little annoying.

4 stars seems reasonable. I might have given a 4.5, but 4 still means it's a good, solid game. The bar was just probably set a little high for being a sequel to a beloved game. And Russ comes off a bit too disappointed in tone for such a good game, not that I blame him. Valve had no chance to live up to the charm of the original. It's still really funny, however the "magic" isn't at the same level.

The ending song was, again, epic.

PS: I'm in Space!

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
"Easier" is a matter of perspective. You may personally find it harder than the original. Plus being difficult wasn't what made Portal great it was simply how clever and humorous it was.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Quellist said:
Looking forward to the gibs flying when Yahtzee reviews this...
What is it with people recently assuming Yahtzee's going to hate everything (that is what you were implying right?)

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
...Ohhh man! Do I want spoilers or do I want to find everything out myself on my own time? Ahhhh! I was determined to wait a few years for the price to drop!

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
Jumpingbean3 said:
Quellist said:
What is it with people recently assuming Yahtzee's going to hate everything (that is what you were implying right?)
Well tomorrow we will see alot of "why didn't you do portal 2" spamming his video I guess.

Other than that I just replayed the game... yeah I know its just around 8 hours, but it has a perfect time, any longer would either mean introducing more puzzles or bore people.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I can only echo the sentiments that the PC version loads very fast between levels. My loading times between each level were all about 5-10 seconds, which is completely acceptable imho.
I do agree that they come a bit too frequently, however.

The game also ran extremely well on my old PC. I got an Nvidia 8800 GTS and Intel Core2Quad Q6600, and the game self-configured nearly all settings to "high", but despite that i got no slowdowns whatsoever.

As for the difficulty, I'd say it was slightly harder than the first game. My game time, substracting food & bathroom breaks, clocked in at about 9h 30 mins.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Just beat the game a few minutes ago. Beautiful game! And wonderful ending! Won't spoil, but I had a blast playing! Totally worth the wait. Sure its only about 6 hours or so for the main story, but the first one was about 2. You also get the benifit of a co-op online mode so it will extend your replayability a bit. I forgot if there were challanges... but still, plenty to do, and you can always come back later just for the hell of it. Definatly worth the buy.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Holy balls, that was awesome. I just finished singleplayer. I didn't like where the story was going, but it fixed itself perfectly. Gameplaywise, it's more Portal; just like I wanted. Man, my head is spinning. I've finished both the singleplayer and co-op.

Co-op is also great. It's more to the point(solving test chambers) than the singleplayer. It worked remarkably well to play with another person. Now I'm just hoping for loads of custom maps and stuff.

The ONLY downside for me were the frequent loading screens. It destroys the immersion quite a bit. They loaded quickly though.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Easier puzzles is a nonstarter for me - aside from the humor the puzzles were what made the original Portal so incredible.

A discount bin purchase it is!

Fingerthing

Mar 19, 2010
First issue.

Why did almost ALL of the footage you use for the video review was in the last chapter? Warn with spoilers at the very least as Portal 2 largely relies on it's "surprise factor" (much like the first one)

Second issue.

The puzzles really aren't that easy. You won't get frustrated, no, just challenged.

Third issue.

Xbox review for a pc/ps3 game? Just don't, mkay?

Plus. SCIENCE!

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
i don said:
What's up with the potato being stuck to the gun's claw?
It's a potato. I hear they are actually good suppliers of energy.

The full answer is a spoiler and is rather humorous, so I will leave that to you to look up if you really want to know the major plot event of the second third of the game.

Kakkoi

Jun 14, 2010
I've heard that the PC version has much slower wait times. And I'm on the PS3 and I barely notice them. So maybe it's just a 360 thing?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Interesting that people don't think it's easier. The first third - the story mode is definitely chopped into thirds, btw - is mind-numbingly easy. Perhaps not if you didn't play the first game, though...so maybe it was intended as an introduction for complete newbies?

The co-op is loads of fun, though, I highly recommend it. :)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
SCIENCE!!!
I'm a bit disappointed by the 4/5, was hoping this would be like the second coming. I will still see the world as B.P. and A.P.

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
I was playing on the PC and didn't have any problems with loading times at all, bar the very first loading screen after starting a new game. It only took a few seconds to load between maps.

I thought Portal 2 improved on the original in many ways. At the very basic level, the overgrown rooms and collapsing environments are a lot more interesting than Portal's primarily White and Grey levels.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
She blinded me with... wait I forgot.

Sounds like about what I expected. Time to que the massive QQ saying its not as good as the original from all the people who over-hyped Portal for so long.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Susan Arendt said:
Interesting that people don't think it's easier. The first third - the story mode is definitely chopped into thirds, btw - is mind-numbingly easy. Perhaps not if you didn't play the first game, though...so maybe it was intended as an introduction for complete newbies?
Easier than the first half or portal? The two serve the same function of an extended tutorial, so is the first third of Portal 2 easier than the first hald of Portal?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
OutrageousEmu said:
Susan Arendt said:
Easier than the first half or portal? The two serve the same function of an extended tutorial, so is the first third of Portal 2 easier than the first hald of Portal?
The first third of Portal 2 is easier than the first half of Portal, yes. It's just too easy to go on as long as it does, though, again, I say that as someone who played the first one. Ideally, you should be able to skip it, but if you did that, you'd miss out on some fun moments and Wheatley shenanigans. Maybe should've just made it a few levels shorter. For me, the game doesn't really start to become interesting until the middle third, when you meet Cave Johnson (so to speak).

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Money dear boy.
EA does.

Besides the fact that we've never sold a review. EA is the retail distributer for Portal 2, so you're kind of defeated by your own statement on that one.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
UltraXan said:
"Reviewed with Xbox360 version"

What? No, no no no no no no no. You fucked up already! The 360 version is the WORST version you could buy! I was playing it last night (and I'm gonna continue playing it when I get back home) and while I do agree that there is WAY more loading, it took no more than 10 seconds at a time for me. I only went 30 minutes in before it was 1:30 in the morning and decided to go to sleep, and I love it already!
Why? Can someone please tell me what is so terrible about the 360 version? I mean, that's the version of the original Portal I own. Are the PC and 360 versions actually different games, or is this just another PC gamer bias about how console controls are inferior to keyboard or some crap like that?

Honestly, I don't really give a flying fornication if I have to wait five seconds longer in the console version; that doesn't make it inferior.

JustJuust

Mar 31, 2011
did he really say that he doesn't know what happened to the aperture lab? This guy shouldn't review Portal 2 without even playing Portal 1

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I think that the puzzles are just difficult enough, as in slightly harder than the original's.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Jumpingbean3 said:
Quellist said:
Well its just Yahtzee loved portal so much, and knowing his general opinion of sequels all i can say is it better be Really good...

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I started playing it today and haven't finished it yet. I can't say anyting about the coop mod because I want to finish singleplayer first but the singleplayer is great! I pretty much love everything about it, I guess I sound like a fanboy. I'm actually having more fun playing Portal 2 then Portal 1.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
I wouldn?t like to say the puzzles are easier, it?s really difficult to judge, we are not going in fresh in the same way we did with Portal. We?ve probably all played Portal and some of us have gone on to the advanced maps and fan made mods.

You?re probably going to have an easier time with this game but I don?t know if it?s because it is actually easier. I think, for the main story, the difficulty is about right. If you?re a more seasoned player looking for a really difficult challenge, I think that?s best left to the advanced maps and modders catering to that.

As for the length, it took me just over 5 hours for the single player. That was semi-taking my time and with a bit of head scratching. Other people have taken longer, some will have steam rolled through it.

Don't let this review put you off, Portal 2 is a fantastic game.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Three acts as long as the original? So the game is about four and a half hours now, and with less challenging puzzles? I'll wait for a sale. And before someone quotes me to say that there is coop, like someone always does, I don't care. L4D taught me two things about coop: most random people in coop match making are douche bags, and coop is only fun with friends. Seeing how all my friends are poor and our schedules are so weird, I'd probably never touch coop.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Zenode said:

Judge a product by its weakest link, this case being the 360 version.
Then everyone would call The Orange Box a steaming pile of #$%& because of the PS3 version.

You should review the game on the platform it was made for, in this case the PC, or if you want the console version, review on the complete one, not the gimped one.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
Skade said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
ZiggyE said:

They do have a publisher for retail (EA at the moment, Vivendi Universal before). They are not _owned_ by a publisher. Thirdly, Valve is an oddball, as they also act as a Publisher through Steam.

But I would not call them an Indie developer[1] though, as the "indie group" of game developers is usually associated with small developer groups with finite resources.

[1] Although its strictly true.
That's why the article says "pseudo-indie".

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
PurplePlatypus said:
I wouldn?t like to say the puzzles are easier, it?s really difficult to judge, we are not going in fresh in the same way we did with Portal. We?ve probably all played Portal and some of us have gone on to the advanced maps and fan made mods.

You?re probably going to have an easier time with this game but I don?t know if it?s because it is actually easier. I think, for the main story, the difficulty is about right. If you?re a more seasoned player looking for a really difficult challenge, I think that?s best left to the advanced maps and modders catering to that.

As for the length, it took me just over 5 hours for the single player. That was semi-taking my time and with a bit of head scratching. Other people have taken longer, some will have steam rolled through it.

Don't let this review put you off, Portal 2 is a fantastic game.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. The puzzles arent impossible but I did have to think about them sometimes and it took me about 5 hours to complete. Although even if you dont find the story mode challenging the story itself is interesting enough to warrant playing it.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
internetzealot1 said:
Is the Xbox version able to play user-gen content made by PC gamers?
I really doubt it - Microsoft doesn't like those sort of shenanigans. Could be wrong though...

prouler

Nov 24, 2009
wow fail. half of the clips you used to show act 1 were from act 3, and the funnel only appeared in act 3. Did you even play the game!? seriously, that is just fail! and yeah, don't want to give spoilers except for the MASSIVE SPOINLERS, you know, like the screens that who the "AI controlling aperture" is. hate to tell you, but that is a massive spoiler giving away a major plot point. The potato is okay because seriously, who is gonna guess that, but you are showing a major character's long term development there Mr. Pitts! I will agree on the other points, that the loading screens were badly mismanaged, and that some puzzles were lackluster. heck some were just plain deceptive and moronic, while others were pure strokes of genius. it's not a perfect game, and no it's not portal 1, but that you can give DA2 a perfect score and give portal 2 a 4/5 is just wrong. the game is less than $60 (50 retail, 45 if bought on steam at the moment), and co-op adds a massive amount of play time and replay value. the game is amazing, and deserves that 5 star rating, because, let's face it, saying that there are only 5 degree's of good or bad game is a pretty faulty system to start with, and giving an amazing game like this 4 stars means anything from 70%-90% and giving portal 2 anything below 90% is an injustice to the game, and all of the work that the valve team put into it.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:

Money dear boy.
EA does.

1) Two very different games, I don't see the point in comparing their review scores

2) Two different reviewers.

3) Don't know if you realize how insulting and/or rude it is to accuse a website of money hatting or taking bribes with absolutely nothing backing that up other than you not agreeing with the scores they gave to a couple of games. Has the escapist given you any real reason to attack it's integrity?

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Just finished the single-player mode, haven't touched the co-op yet, but already Portal 2 is better in every way than Portal 1, with the possible exception of being more expensive in a relative way. The puzzles are more fun and clever. The new characters are hilarious and their interactions add what I felt was the most critically missing part of the first game. There are a lot of moments of awe at the scale of the things you see. Traveling through the "behind the curtain" areas is far better integrated into the mood and narrative of the game. And the conclusion is amazing. Haven't touched the co-op yet, but if you liked the first game, and have some extra cash, I would highly recommend buying this game.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Jeez man, throw up some spoiler warnings before you show that, most of that video pretty much shows half the twists in the game.

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
I think the line from Kill Bill is appropriate here: "If you're gonna compare a Hattori Hanzo sword, you compare it to every sword ever made that wasn't made by Hattori Hanzo."

Based on my experience, it seems Russ is being too harsh on P2 because it's no longer surprising that it's brilliant. Sir, I am afraid it is difficult to surprise someone with brilliance when your brilliance is already well known. That doesn't make you any less brilliant.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Speakercone said:

SCIENCE!!!!
Don't know if anyone's quoted you on this, but as far as I know, Valve actually hired the people that worked on TAG to work on Portal 2. >_>

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Three acts as long as the original? So the game is about four and a half hours now, and with less challenging puzzles? I'll wait for a sale. And before someone quotes me to say that there is coop, like someone always does, I don't care. L4D taught me two things about coop: most random people in coop match making are douche bags, and coop is only fun with friends. Seeing how all my friends are poor and our schedules are so weird, I'd probably never touch coop.
I beat the game in about 6 hours, and that was on super caffeine. I don't understand why he said the tests were easier, they aren't. Even in some of the act 1 tests I had to sit and think for a little bit before making a decision on what to do. I haven't tried the co-op yet, but back in L4D1+2 I sometimes had more fun playing with strangers than with friends. A lot of players I've played with were actually pretty nice and cooperative on PC. If your really hell bent on not touching co-op, don't you think your cheating yourself out of some money? You're not even going to attempt it?

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
agreed with most of the review, if you liked the 1st one (or puzzle games in general), then you should definitely pick it up (I think it kept the hilarity, as well) :D

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Grabbin Keelz said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I beat the game in about 6 hours, and that was on super caffeine. I don't understand why he said the tests were easier, they aren't. Even in some of the act 1 tests I had to sit and think for a little bit before making a decision on what to do. I haven't tried the co-op yet, but back in L4D1+2 I sometimes had more fun playing with strangers than with friends. A lot of players I've played with were actually pretty nice and cooperative on PC. If your really hell bent on not touching co-op, don't you think your cheating yourself out of some money? You're not even going to attempt it?
I'd like to try it with a friend, but I doubt find time when a friend is on to complete it. Just playing with random people could get bad, even as bad as trying to figure out what the hell this says:

Damn I hate these things...

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
prouler said:
Hang on. You criticise a review for spoiling it then you go and spoiler some of it for people yourself? Nice(!)

Also, if you go back and revisit the DA2 review, you'll notice that Greg Tito reviewed it, not Russ Pitts. They are bound to have different opinions considering they are, ya know, not the same person, which explains the scores.

OT: Nice review but I won't be picking this game up, not til it's at least a lot cheaper. The first one bored me I have to say, and the only reason I might pick this one up is for the co-op content. Need a couple of new co-op games to tide me over til Skyrim comes out.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Is it possible that the puzzles just look easier because we've been playing Portal for 4 years and we now know how to think with portals like it's second nature? I've played about 4 hours by now and there have been several times I've had to sit back and take a look at how to best solve a puzzle. Haven't done the co-op yet, I'm waiting for a buddy to get it. So far, I'd say it's at least on par with the original.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Just beat the single-player, fantastic experience from start to finish. Yes, it's short but it's a damn good ride from beginning to end

Jan 29, 2009
callmegreen said:
WTF is up with that one shot with the portal gun with that AWESOME striped skin o.o
That is for the coop, as I found out today. Blue is for the shorty and Orange is for the tall guy.
(I spent an hour on coop with my brother, nothing else so far.)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
LGC Pominator said:
duchaked said:
Xzi said:

...wut
lol why man, whyyy

was that to me btw? or just to ppl in general, cause I didn't say anything about financ-...anyway haha

good points tho. do wanna try out the co-op, and customization...I didn't realize how much it helped by giving me a sense of self. I do like it in Halo 3/Reach, and while I'm not particularly fond or even good at Call of Duty, I found myself more ready to play Black Ops cuz I had my own set character so to speak.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
Singularly Datarific said:
callmegreen said:
WTF is up with that one shot with the portal gun with that AWESOME striped skin o.o
That is for the coop, as I found out today. Blue is for the shorty and Orange is for the tall guy.
(I spent an hour on coop with my brother, nothing else so far.)
ahhh.. i thougt that might have been the case... either that or some 99 cent dlc thing o.o

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Avaloner said:
I'm not sure if anyone has commented directly to you on this, but he's not referring to the chapters the game is actually split into. The 8 or 9 chapters game is divided into (not quite finished the game, nearly though) can be gathered into 3 broad acts, Act 1 being GLaDOS's tests (no spoilers there), then
The trip through Apertures Science's history, from it's beginnings as Aperture Fixtures selling bathroom fixtures (bit of extrapolation, but there is mention of Cave Johnson being Aperture Fixtures no.1 shower curtain salesman for 1943) to it's end as Aperture Laboratories
and finally
Wheatley Laboratories, where you run tests for Wheatley and then defeat him

I haven't finished the game yet, I believe I'm in chamber 17 so I'm getting close, I'm ignoring spoilers for the ending for now. Apologies if you already know this, but as I said I haven't seen anyone comment directly on this as of yet.

Xirema

Nov 12, 2010
A few things:
- A lot of scenes you showcased came from Act III, and do have some rather substantial spoilers with regards to what happens.
- You also mixed up when and where certain elements are presented to the player.

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
danpascooch said:

I'm confused. John Walker gave a completely different review on RPS, especially about the difficulty of the puzzles...
I honestly don't know what the game Russ Pitts played, but it wasn't Portal 2.

Again and again The Escapist demonstrates that you shouldn't trust their reviews, hell, it's almost like they are getting denied a review copy and have to guess what the game will be like, that would certainly explain the rating for both this and Dragon Age II

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Susan Arendt said:

The co-op is loads of fun, though, I highly recommend it. :)
Feels about the same to me
Its pretty much the testing section that portal was
Portal only got difficult at the end honestly

Its more remembered for its other aspects than difficulty I think

Dice Warwick

Nov 29, 2010
I got through the single player and from start to finis it was an excellent game, without the game getting to repetitive. It also have it's charm, Between Gladoss and Weeley, the game is full of laughs, well more get out of the way of the trap then laugh.

I give it a 4.5/5 a game you got to love.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
Falseprophet said:
[On Valve being the 'creators' of Portal]:

It's more like, Valve liked the indie game Narbacular Drop and basically hired those guys to make it better, bringing in great writers as well. It's like how Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi on his own for peanuts, then Columbia gave him a few million to make Desperado, which is technically a sequel, but more like how Rodriguez would have made Mariachi in the first place if he had the money.
That is one hell of an analogy. I could not agree more. Rodriguez's modest beginnings are VERY similar to the Portal franchise.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
callmegreen said:
That is one of the many neat unlockables, all available to you for lots of cashy money

I hear they got a bit lazy with this one, quite a worry where Valve is going from now on, and if the other stuff will ever get finished.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
Flamma Man said:
I hate Russ Pitts' reviews, they're so dull and uninformative since all he seems to do is list the features of the game without even going in depth about the mechanics, the art direction, how it effects gameplay, etc.

Seriously, it's so dull and uninteresting it's nauseating.

Oh, and the best part is that he says, "Without spoiling too much...," then of course he xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've removed what you actually wrote to avoid carrying the spoiler further, but none of what you said was made apparent by the video until YOU pointed it out. There's absolutely no reason for people who are yet to play the game to make any of those mental connections.

Please consider what you're writing next time.

On topic: I found the first act to be easier than Portal 1, but the rest of the game is definitely more challenging (without being frustratingly so). It takes somewhere between 7 - 10 hours to complete single player, depending on your own personal aptitude, how long you get stuck (you will get stuck at least once or twice) and whether or not you're interested in exploring your environment. The story is brilliant and compelling enough to keep you interested until right to the end. I was playing on a PC so wasn't too fussed about breaking for loading screens, but I will admit there are an awful lot of them. All in all I was really impressed, it's a great sequel.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
I have played through all the content (singleplayer and co-op) and I have to say that portal 2 is one of the best games i've ever played. The story is solid and unexpected, the vioceacting and writing is perfect and the gameplay is still there from the first game with a few improvments.

Speaking as a fan of the first portal (would have said that it's my favorite game ever), the sequal is just as good. You have lost some of the interesting setting that the first game had, by knowing who the AI is and so on, but the new additions and plot twists makes up for it.

This is way more than I expected from a sequal and if you haven't bought it already, Go! NOW!

If any game can get a full score it's this one! 5/5

TitenSxull

Feb 17, 2009
I didn't find the loading screens to be long on the 360 version. The review makes it seem like they take a minute, I have yet to sit on a loading screen that lasts more than 15 seconds. They still do break the flow a bit but after a confusing test chamber its nice to have a moment to clear your mind and ready for the next test.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Mr.K. said:
I hear they got a bit lazy with this one, quite a worry where Valve is going from now on, and if the other stuff will ever get finished.
You heard wrong.

I just finished the single player game, and the entire thing is just dripping with quality, time, and effort. The attention to detail is astounding, especially in places that a lot of players wouldn't even see it. There was one section in particular that stood out, where the solution to the puzzle was right in front of me, and could have been solved in a few seconds, but that would have meant missing out on the 2-3 minutes of brilliant dialogue that resulted from procrastinating. Not to mention all the actual gameplay. All of the sequences that would have been easy to make as a simple cutscene are instead fully interactive. Valve introduced a ton of new gameplay elements, as well as clever and unique puzzles that involve them.

And that's just the single player. There's also the Co-op mode with a completely new campaign of about the same length as the single player. I haven't played it yet, but I expect the quality to be similar to the main game.

The game may be shorter than other Valve titles, but they more than made up for it with all the work they put into it.

Notere

Sep 11, 2008
This review? This review right here? Bollocks. Absolute load of it. Don't let it sway purchases. Ignore it. Get it. See for yourself. Or play on a friend's copy if you're that hesitant because some ponce decided it was a great idea to bash on a game because he has to be too cool for the curve.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Wow, Russ. Usually your reviews feel upbeat(except the really crappy games) but this one had a dash of cynicism sprinkled in. Is GlaDOS getting under your skin?
I had noticed that loading times were more frequent than the first. At least through the first half of 1 you got through two levels at a time before having to load, while this one was for every level. But I never felt they were over long. It is possible my PC is faster than your 360, however.
This is definitely a much longer game, but considering the new puzzles I think patience and conserving yourself is best. But that first time through, you are definitely going crazy with curiosity on how this one ends so it is hard to take a break.
I do have a hankering for some fried taters, though, with as far as I have gone so far.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
"Portal was a child star. Precocious. Naïve."

Good god. Nostalgia already?

Fanboys and girls make me lol.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Speakercone said:

SCIENCE!!!!
Don't know if anyone's quoted you on this, but as far as I know, Valve actually hired the people that worked on TAG to work on Portal 2. >_>
This has been pointed out to me several times. Thanks everyone, I was previously unaware of this and think it's awesome :).

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
Iron Lightning said:
gigastar said:

Iron Lightning said:
Metcarfre said:
Zenode said:

it begins

Because some people just can't let everyone have their own fun, and make things harder for themselves the old fashioned way by, say, doing timed runs. =S
I think people need to ask themselves what it was they liked about Portal - if it was *only* the difficulty of the puzzles, then they could always avoid portal entirely and go play any game that has 'hard' puzzles. If they liked both the puzzles and the fun atmosphere/'story' etc, then I see no reason not to enjoy Portal 2 if (as I have heard) it delivers on the 'portal humour' side.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
ZiggyE said:

It is a pseudo-indie game because the prototype was developed as a student project, then those students were hired to build a Source-engine prototype. Only thing Valve did was apply a bit of elbow-grease.

Rosetta said:
"Portal was a child star. Precocious. Naïve."

Good god. Nostalgia already?

Fanboys and girls make me lol.
He just called the game precocious. That's not nostalgic at all. The game was kicked out the gates with such little fanfare and it was great at what it did right off the bat.