Portal 2 Toolset Allows Users to Become Crueler Than GLaDOS

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Why does it say "Not available"? In fact, ALL tools say that. Could it be because I'm using a Mac OS? (Damn Mac's lack of uses compared to Windows.)

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
360s will almost assuredly not be able to get custom levels for free. I'd be surprised if they get them at all.

My understanding is that XBL has a policy of rejecting free DLC of any kind. This is apparently why the 360 Orange Box TF2 never gets updated.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
nukethetuna said:
bombadilillo said:
nukethetuna said:
Ah, the Blizzard method of letting fans add longevity/fix perceived issues with your game.
You make it sound like a bad thing! How is this not awesome. Everyone benefits from a strong modding community. And forgive me but yeah Valve copied someone else by releasing mod tools...yeah valve never supported modders...wtf?
Definitely not a bad thing, I've always thought Blizzard had the right idea by doing this. We wouldn't have DotA (and tons of other games) without it, and WoW's default UI doesn't even do the job anymore.

Serenegoose said:
I'm fairly sure mods and user made levels are a hallmark of 'being on the PC' rather than 'made by Blizzard' or a cheap way to fix issues and add longevity. But that is an amazingly cynical way to look at something that's been happening since games first came out on personal computers, so nicely done.
Blizzard's just the first company who's games I played did this, or at least gave players a well developed method for players to construct their own maps and mods, so I call it the Blizzard method! Wasn't trying to be cynical, sir/mam!

Yeesh, people get so offended!
Truth be told it's been done long before anything Blizzard did that got recognized for it. It wasn't until Warcraft II that editor tools became popularized as part of the package. Epic, Apogee, 3D Realms, and Id all carry that flag of encouraging custom content. Your statement might not have been meant as cynical, but was a bit short-minded. Please be cautious with what you say and how you say it.
lacktheknack said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Yes.

At least, on PS3. Xbox will get batches of the better levels every now and then, probably for pay (growl).

At Xzi: At least do a Google search before speculating.
Of course that will require PSN to be available. This coming out as it is, even in Beta, is one more slap to the face of Playstationers. I await the pitchforks and torches to be coming out, screaming for the hackers to be lynched or burned at the stake.
Seriously, Portal 2 is the first real bridge between console and PC and this shit has to happen now. And you bet your booty that if Microsoft does allow custom content to be ported via LIVE, there will be a price tag attached. Crooked, yes, but it will also be legal as the custom content will still fall under the license agreement. Somebody has to pay M$'s bills for Skype.

Bloodysoldier

Jun 9, 2009
Xzi said:
lacktheknack said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
Yes.
I stand corrected. I guess now that the the PS3 has been jailbroken, they're not as wary about customized software. One step closer to bridging the divide between consoles and PCs. Now only if console hardware didn't blow...
You have not played little big planet have you?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'm sure there will be maps so difficult that only an insane person with no life at all would be able to complete them... and he will complete them and upload videos on YouTube.
Looking forward to some sick maps.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Hypertion said:
Anyways the Halo: Reach style editor if managed to be ported to, Portal 2, would be impressive. We have people who create statues of things in reach.
Haha, nooooo. This isn't Forge mode we're talking about here, this is Hammer. It's the exact same tool the developers used to create the maps for the actual game, far more capable than in-game editors like Forge or FarCry's editor. Ever wonder how people build custom maps for Half-Life 2 or Team Fortress 2? Same tool.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Activating Pony themed level in 3, 2, 1...

I mean, I just finish reading this Portal/FIM crossover fan-fic (It's a very good Fan-fic, I recomend you cheak it out), thinking that it would be cool if someone made it in the actual game, what do I find when I hop back over to The Esapist, boom Valve's released the Poratl 2 tool set.....It's just a shame I don't have Portal 2 >.>

Hypertion

May 10, 2011
Ahh but those editors cant run on the Xbox or PS3. If expanded to the Consoles you would have much more user content. Developer tools also are beyond the more common player simply due to PC limitations. Not everyone can shellout several thousand for a true Gamer PC.

Forge modes limitations are mostly that you cant alter the base terrain without flatout making your own. Puting something in that allows you to acually go beyond placing floating Blocks and manages to acually create rooms etc like a true editor is typically not easy with controller controls alone.

Finally the problems that lie in Beta style Development tools make public use simply not feasable for many people.

The reason i pointed out Forge is that it did manage to give Console players an effective level editor that was relativly problem free. Hammer is PC exclusive, which really doenst impress me as a result, considering the Mod comminunity that exists. An Amusing fact is that there often are level editors released for PC games by Mod comminunitys long before anything offical. Forge However was something that came with the game and worked on the Consoles and was also relativly easy to use, and ease of use means more user content.

The biggest problem would be making a way to get custom content downloadable to the Console players.

there is one thing that could make a truly sucessful editor. allow a low spec PC version to use the editor using min graphics but allow that edited level to be ported to Consoles. If a Console gamer is given the same ability as the limited PC gamers, then you have tapped into what otherwise would be a APX 66% loss in terms of the existing player base. Btw that number is extremely Generious and figures the high end gaming as between PC/XBOX/PS3 equally, which it really isnt more often than not.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
internetzealot1 said:
If you mean "you can download the maps from portalmaps.net (or wherever), copy them to your 360 or PS3 and have them run", then no. If, on the other hand, you mean "Valve including community maps in their forthcoming DLCs of Portal 2", then the correct answer is "highly likely".

@Hypertion: The reason why Valve didn't make a level editor for consoles is because, quite frankly, it would suck. Portal is not the sort of game where you can just use fistfuls of prefabricated items to make levels.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
AAAANNNDDDD....

Installed. Let's see what kind of fun I can force with this one.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Man, during the summer I'm totally trying this. It looks like they're trying to improve the UI from the regular SDK, which is good news to me! Gonna have to get a portal map notebook now, I've always wanted to try it.

Also, Valve selected community map packs, a la TF2, is gonna be sweeeeeeeet.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
Am I the only one who's tired of all the Valve and Portal 2 news?

There exist other games you know.
Then... don't read them? There exist other news stories, you know. Portal 2 has JUST been released and has a heck of a lot of fans who want news like this.

I'm thrilled, personally. I've been looking forwards to trying custom maps and maybe even trying to build my own.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
a last, this craving i have for more challenging puzzles can be sated when the pro map makers start churning out some gems!

Will keep eyes on them forums!

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Delusibeta said:
internetzealot1 said:
If you mean "you can download the maps from portalmaps.net (or wherever), copy them to your 360 or PS3 and have them run", then no. If, on the other hand, you mean "Valve including community maps in their forthcoming DLCs of Portal 2", then the correct answer is "highly likely".

@Hypertion: The reason why Valve didn't make a level editor for consoles is because, quite frankly, it would suck. Portal is not the sort of game where you can just use fistfuls of prefabricated items to make levels.
Or not