Portal 2 Toolset Allows Users to Become Crueler Than GLaDOS

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Zenode said:
Yeah, that happened to me several times as well, but not too much. Like about 4 or 5 times. Still a fun & great puzzle game, though!

Utrechet

Oct 14, 2010
Nobody will "take" your idea, as you are just "taking" theirs. Super Mario bros. maps are all to common amongst build-your-own themes. It's not that they are thiefs, it's just you're unoriginal.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Finally, I've been waiting for this since I've played through Portal 2. I'm looking forward to see, what the community is capable of creating with the new puzzle elements in Portal 2.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
teknoarcanist said:
Here's what you can expect from user-created maps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKU28WErq2U

Hell, that probably deserves it's own abstract.
that burnt my retinas out with its awesome. im typing this by sound...

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Xzi said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
That's not up to Valve. It's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would allow non-developer endorsed mod maps on their consoles. Too much possibility for exploit. So it's highly doubtful.
Yes, microsoft actually forbids free content on their platform. That is why they could not update TF2.

Ps.Please excuse my poor English, I am not a native speaker.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
Forget the level editor. What kind of server tools are they going to allow for these "test chambers". If I'm building a test chamber, at minimum, I want to know how many people (unique and total) play it, how many complete it (in what time & how many portals), and the time/portal count of the quitters too. Ideally I'd like the location of drops, location of deaths, and location/sequence of all portals while we're asking for the moon.

There are tons of games that let you design a level, but very few that make it easy to test other than by watching your friends or reading comments of people who download it.

Why would users consent to send this data? Leaderboards.

Negotiator

Mar 17, 2011
This is great news. Now Sony just has to get PSN back online as soon as possible so I can link my PSN and Steam accounts. I want to become a cruel tester. :p

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Finally, I remember them promising this waaay back. But unfortunately the only platform that the level creator will ever be usable on is PC, and I can't get my PC version until that damn PSN is back up!!

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
While I was looking forward to this, I forgot it would be the HAMMER program to do it, and that thing scares me.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Xzi said:
internetzealot1 said:
I've asked before and I'll ask again: Does Valve still plan to allow console gamers to play the maps made on the PC version?
That's not up to Valve. It's unlikely that Sony or Microsoft would allow non-developer endorsed mod maps on their consoles. Too much possibility for exploit. So it's highly doubtful.
The PS3 did it with UT3 I think.
Or they can have a LBP type update.

I hope the tool isn't so complicated that I can't put a chamber together in an afternoon. I always wanted to torture my fellow gamers.
One problem, you know there are going to be a hell of a lot of "grief" chambers with no solution made to induce rage-quitting.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
If you ever make any hard co-op map, mail me. Was disappointed with the difficult in the official co-op.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Now where are the stupid dumbbutts that were bitching that Valves sold out? -_-

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So, how long do you think before someone combines some of the features from Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead and makes the "Fighting an army of mantis men" into a real mod?

(I don't know what all you'd have to do to make that work, or if it's even possible. Ever since they dropped the universal SDK in 2008, there hasn't been any way that I know of to make real mods out of games. Just custom levels for the existing games.)