Portal is FREE on Steam!

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
does anyone know if this is for good or is it just an extended free weekend, as in after the 24th do you keep it?

LordWalter

Sep 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

Basically, Portal is free until the 24th of March May on Steam

Download it now!

I command you!

EDIT: Everyone is so happy :)
Sharing joy is fun

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
You have to be fuckin' kidding me!! i just bought it for £13 2 days ago! *repeated headdesk*
Except this guy, I am so sorry
I will now bear your children/ask you to be the mother of my children. Such is my love for you at this moment and, indeed, for all-time.

Dienekes

Sep 13, 2008
no its only valid till the 24th, its just a longer extended weekend to entice all those people wanting to try steam for mac, and if portal runs well, then (in theory at least) most source platforms will run well on mac (when released) I can think of a great many people who would consider changing to mac gaming permanently, with windows on bootcamp for all other games that don't work yet.

Then again I am a heavy source gamer, so I know a lot of gamers who play nothing but source, not real gamers, just wierdos :p

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
SuperMse said:
Me thinks this has something to do with the addition of Macs to Steam. Welcome, Mac users! Can you get Valve to let us have more free stuff? =P
Please Mac users it would be really cool, and it would be payment for joining the steam party so late.

in other words WOOT! FREE PORTAL!

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
thank you for informing us.thank you steam for this offer.and thank YOU Computer of mine for downloading portal at this very moment

Dienekes

Sep 13, 2008
MichiganMuscle77 said:
Dienekes said:
no its only valid till the 24th, its just a longer extended weekend to entice all those people wanting to try steam for mac, and if portal runs well, then (in theory at least) most source platforms will run well on mac (when released) I can think of a great many people who would consider changing to mac gaming permanently, with windows on bootcamp for all other games that don't work yet.

Then again I am a heavy source gamer, so I know a lot of gamers who play nothing but source, not real gamers, just wierdos :p
No, I'm pretty sure it's permanent. Once you obtain your copy... it's yours forever. Otherwise it would say "limited time free trial" or something. Instead, it says "PORTAL FREE!"
you are correct, I am wrong, I didnt read it properly due to already owning it. woooops

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Damn, Valve is really trying to gear people up for Portal 2. Unfortunately, I already own the game - spent $20 dollars for it, and even though free would have been nicer, Portal is definitely worth the twenty dollars.

Kingtrue

Jul 30, 2009
NOoo... the steam bandwith is already flooded enough, none of us will be able to Download this game now.

Anyways I only played the demo and since I thought that was interesting and fun, the full thing should definately be a hoot.

Also for anyone who owns TF2 theres a Portal mod on PG-3 servers that use a portal gun. Go search for it.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I have finally achieved a Steam Account (But not a Facebook account) and I am proud to finally play "Portal" for the first time.

I love you all.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
That's pretty cool. I'd download that if I hadn't already bought it. I'm kinda gutted about that.

Still, anyone with a PC that can run source games who doesn't own this should definitely download it. For free there's nothing to lose, and despite being overhyped to fuck by the internet, it's still an enjoyable experience that I would recommend to anyone.

Definite obvious marketing ploy to get people hyped for Portal 2, but still good.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Today should be declared an international holiday. For the first time ever, a Valve game has run on my computer really smoothly with fairly good settings (ah, the bliss of a game running natively...).

To top this off, Portal has been spread to my comrades in gaming, so that now everybody can own a little bit of the fun. In fact, I'm planning on using the next two weeks to bring new gamers into the fold--after all, Portal's a great place to start from, and you can't beat the cost of admission. I've already evangelized the Book of Valve to several of my friends today, more victims will fall to Gabe Newell tomorrow.