Portal Lead Designer Reveals Her New Game: Quantum Conundrum

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
Sixcess said:
Portal with a Team Fortress art style? (Just look at the painting on the wall.)

It looks pretty clever. The solutions to the puzzles had me smiling at the cleverness, so one to watch, definitely.
Exactly what I thought. And really guys, you can't completely judge this before you find out what the other two (or more) dimensions are. Unless one of them covers everything in mustard or something.

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
NickCaligo42 said:
In my experience, student teams also aren't auteur-driven.
I'm going to have to disagree on that. In my experience, if there's any design space the students can take ownership of at all, they will. Furthermore, in projects where the specification isn't assigned by an outside force, someone on the team, essentially, wrote the specification, and, if the idea is any good, it will almost certainly end up being that person's baby.

This is not actually a bad thing, IMO, as long as the person in question recognizes it and nobody finds it objectionable. Where you have problems is when either people's perceptions, and possibly their egos, don't match up with reality. There's still room for humility and highlighting the parts other people played in this, but, honestly, there will be someone leading the charge.

On the other hand, I may have misunderstood what you mean by "auteur-driven", but this is based on my (admittedly limited and anecdotal) experience from school. If there isn't someone who really, truly believes in a student-defined product beyond its value in getting a grade, it really won't be terribly remarkable.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Well, it seems like fun. Kind of reminds me of Time Fcuk though, but then I loved that and this seems to have a better asthetic, so I think I will buy it when it comes out. I'm not expecting it to live up to Portal though, not without Ellen McLain's voice unnerving me every step of the way. The fact that it's being produced by Square Enix is also giving me reason to be cautious, but I think "being developed by Portal creator" will still balance that out on the good side.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Hopefully it doesn't run into the trouble of advertising what puzzle mechanics are needed for each room. The batteries thing seemed to point out that "fluffy" dimension is going to be used this level!

Same issue later levels in portal had. When there's few sections to put portals on, it's fairly easy to figure out the puzzle

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Assuming the actual switching of dimensions is easy and flows well then color me interested (or fluffy if you wish). Hopefully there is some great humour (probably not going to be as bark as Portal's humour, but you never know)

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Looks like it might be pretty good - kind of like a lighter, Neo-Victorian version of Portal. Although the dimension-shifting mechanic seems like it lacks some kind of... elegance that the solutions to the portal puzzles have. There was just something clunky about how she got the safe past the lasers near the end.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
rickynumber24 said:
On the other hand, I may have misunderstood what you mean by "auteur-driven", but this is based on my (admittedly limited and anecdotal) experience from school. If there isn't someone who really, truly believes in a student-defined product beyond its value in getting a grade, it really won't be terribly remarkable.
I didn't say creatively driven, I said auteur-driven. IE: one student took control as a lead and the majority the game's creative imprint belongs to that student. Yes, students can be self-motivated and directed in their research and development, but my point is that it's almost never attributable to a single student. In fact, taking the "I want to be the sole creative director of this project" attitude more often than not is a great way to alienate the entire classroom, simply because of how presumptuous it is.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
After reading the article I was concerned that this would feel too close to the mold of Portal, but I quite enjoyed the video. The formatting is similar but then it's a puzzle game, one rather expects a sequential number of puzzles. (Otherwise it's an Adventure game and you're always running around trying to figure out if the new doohicky you picked up does something in previous areas).

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The "slow motion" dimension does pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, slowing everything in the environment down when the player switches over to it. The machine that powers these dimensional shifts had space for four dimensions at once, so we can probably expect at least two more.
It looked to me like the time-slowing mechanic was permanent, not provided by a battery or that machine thing, so I'd say there's at least three more.

Anyway, I'm intrigued. It's really not all that much like Portal, and the mechanics seem like fun. I'll probably grab it when I can, although her presentation was awful.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This looks so much better than Portal. Portal actually bored me. It was piss easy and overhyped. The only reason entire Escapist loves Portal is because Yahtzee said it's awesome. But it really isn't. Yes it's innovative, yes it's funny. But it's easy. It's like a game for retarded people. It takes 3 hours to complete it. Humor was the best part of Portal. It looks like gameplay will the the best part of this game.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Interesting game, love the fluffy dimension and also more science! It's sort of like spiritual successor to the portal games. Let's just hope that the uncle's disappearance had nothing to do with trying to do more testing that a certain homicidal AI :p

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Puzzles seem reasonably clever, although not quite at the awesome mind bending level of Portal yet. If they go all creative and use 3 'dimenions' at once it could be very interesting.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
The puzzles seem pretty clever and i'm sure that just like in Portal, the puzzles will become harder and harder as you progress through the game.
It looks pretty interesting and definitely worth keeping an eye on.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
DarkRyter said:
I guess there's only so many different plots that first person puzzle games can be done in.
Yea. What's funny to me is that it's what I imagined Portal 2 was going to be. Not that I was disappointed with Portal 2 but I'm glad that this is being done by the originator.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
FLUFFY! I'm looking foward to this game. It looks great.
Wow, Kim Swift is an awesome person. She was responsible for Portal and now this gem. Also, her "Yaaay" after solving a puzzle is cute.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Looks like there could be multiple solutions to puzzles.
When she mentioned the cloner (before I knew about the time slow mechanic) I thought she'd clone the box and stack them ontop of each other to block the laser.

If all/most the puzzles have multiple solutions rather than railroading it'll be a nice touch.