Portal Lead Designer Reveals Her New Game: Quantum Conundrum

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
It looks like it's going to be a simple yet not simple puzzle like Portal yet not like Portal >_>

Looks like it's going to be fun

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
ImprovizoR said:
This looks so much better than Portal. Portal actually bored me. It was piss easy and overhyped. The only reason entire Escapist loves Portal is because Yahtzee said it's awesome. But it really isn't. Yes it's innovative, yes it's funny. But it's easy. It's like a game for retarded people. It takes 3 hours to complete it. Humor was the best part of Portal. It looks like gameplay will the the best part of this game.
The fact you think the reason why nearly everyone thinks portal is awesome is because Yatzee likes it makes me disregard your comment. Mostly everyone liked it both at the escapist, and not at the escapist.

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
NickCaligo42 said:
rickynumber24 said:
On the other hand, I may have misunderstood what you mean by "auteur-driven", but this is based on my (admittedly limited and anecdotal) experience from school. If there isn't someone who really, truly believes in a student-defined product beyond its value in getting a grade, it really won't be terribly remarkable.
I didn't say creatively driven, I said auteur-driven. IE: one student took control as a lead and the majority the game's creative imprint belongs to that student. Yes, students can be self-motivated and directed in their research and development, but my point is that it's almost never attributable to a single student. In fact, taking the "I want to be the sole creative director of this project" attitude more often than not is a great way to alienate the entire classroom, simply because of how presumptuous it is.
Classroom? Sure...

Your 5 friends taking the class with you who all signed up together and signed on to help with your brainchild? That's a lot more debatable. I can think of one case that I participated in where the product was obviously a particular person's brainchild and the project suffered a bit for him not acknowledging that he was the team lead and actually leading instead of pouring is life into it and resenting the fact that not everyone else was doing the same. (It was really cool and I pretty much planned to work on it from when I signed up, but it was still his brainchild.)

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I find the video appealing.

Is it very Portal-esque? Of course, for obvious reasons. I think people in this thread are discounting the dramatic atmospheric differences though. Portal is all stark lab conditions run by a sociopathic AI that basically wants to kill you and is thinking up increasingly elaborate ways to do so for her own pleasure. Grimdark much?

This, on the other hand, looks like the rather more family-friendly version of Portal. And yes, I recognize that Portal itself was already fairly family-friendly in terms of the fun that could be had sharing the experience given the right audience, but the opening minute or so of this video demonstrates the difference in sense of humor and atmosphere I'm talking about: when the dimension changes to "Fluffy," the uncle's portrait puts him in a bunny suit.

Need I say more on the subject?

They're closely related games going down very different roads in terms of story. Cut it a little slack in the pre-judging department; you might be pleasantly surprised by how you respond to the game on its own merits.

Edit: Despite the notes above, I will add that if the game lacks some kind of narrator or antagonist or SOMEONE with which to share a connection during the game it will be far less compelling than either Portal game. The puzzles were great fun to solve, but the "interactions" with Glados were what made Portal more than just a puzzle game.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Looks like it will be full of interesting mechanics. I'm not a huge fan of puzzle games though and a big part of enjoying Portal was the humour and interesting characters (the few of them) so while this might be a perfectly fine game it doesn't look like it would be something I'm willing to spend my money on.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
While it does kinda seem like she's trying a little too hard to make lightning strike twice. There's potential for interesting puzzles, which at the end of the day all that really matters. GlaDoS style bells and whistles are just icing.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
A dot represents the first dimension.
A line drawn perpendicular to that dot represents the second dimension.
That line cubed with axis drawn perpendicular represents the third dimension.

These are the dimensions I was hoping to find in this game.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Something seems deeply off about the perspective of that house, particularly around the ceiling, to the point that I might just have experienced motion sickness for the first time in my life.

That said, funny how the puzzles are already shown borrowing several elements from Portal 2, heh.

And it might be an interesting game, but I doubt it'll beat Portal, and she really needs someone else to both narrate and play her own game.

I'll also agree that she might just be overselling herself, she didn't make Narbacular Drop all by herself, nor was she the one who solely concepted the thing. And as others said, Portal was definitely a team effort.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
idk about this. It feels TOO portal-y. I understand that there are only so many directions you could go, but there are a lot more ways this could go. It feels like a rip-off. I can't wait to find out there is an AI in the house and it's gone nuts.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Seems interesting, fun. I'd have been all ready for it except for one thing.

Quantum Conundrum will be four to six hours long
*sigh* Oh well, maybe I can hope for a $5 release on Steam.

Scorpianhead

Mar 13, 2010
Why didn't she just use slow mo and run throw the lasers surely thay would be realy slow allowing her just to run past it with the items

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Dunno if anyone else has mentioned this, but I just noticed that she never actually picks up a battery for the slow-mo dimension. This implies that you actually could end up with a total of five dimensions active at once, not counting the one you started in.

People dismissing this as Portal 3 are ignoring the bigger picture here... we only saw two dimensions, but there are FOUR slots for batteries. And we don't know how many batteries there actually are in the game. There could be 30 different kinds of batteries!

Think about it. Gravity Reverse dimension. Plant-growing dimension. Dimension where everything is all old and decayed. Wood, fire, wind, water, sand. Dimension where all the furniture is alive and runs around. Dimension where you keep bouncing off the walls. Frictionless dimension. Sticky Dimension.

Pick any four and design a puzzle around it. Maybe there's even a couple rooms with six batteries, and you have to run back to the machine to swap them out. Looks pretty different from Portal now, eh?

Yes, it's a first-person physics puzzler that takes place in a series of enclosed rooms. And back in the 2D days, there were a lot of puzzlers where you pushed blocks around in a maze. That doesn't mean the two games are "the same."

I'm extrapolating quite a lot, of course. But my point is, if you use your imagination and fill in all the implied stuff we're *not* being shown, suddenly the game looks a lot less like Portal and a lot more like Stacking.

If she does indeed implement more than 4 flavors of batteries, there is literally no hard limit to the number of individual gameplay mechanics this game could have.

Putting a box on a button is nothing new. Portal didn't do it first. Look past that, and see the context in which a box is getting put on a button. Might as well say there's no difference between Mario and Megaman because they're both about guys who move to the right and jump.